TV Show - The Last Ship - Possible CAP Sighting

Started by AALTIS, September 01, 2014, 05:58:43 PM

AALTIS

I've be watching the TV show, the last ship.  In the ship's radio room, it appears that a CAP communications badge is on the wall.  Its located by the room's doorway just to the left of the door.  I figured some of our radio folks might find it interesting.
Alan Altis, Captain
EMT/ B
MO Wing Group I
Emergency Services &
Communications Officer

PHall

Search is your friend.  You're about two months late to this party.

SarDragon

Quote from: PHall on September 01, 2014, 06:09:17 PM
Search is your friend.  You're about two months late to this party.

Lighten up, Francis! Or tell him in a PM.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AALTIS

My apologies.  I did conduct a search without any results.  Perhaps my search terms were incorrect. 
Alan Altis, Captain
EMT/ B
MO Wing Group I
Emergency Services &
Communications Officer

Private Investigator

I keep missing that part. Popcorn habit interferes with TV viewing so a 'intervention' may be needed.   ???

PHall

Quote from: Private Investigator on September 02, 2014, 12:04:39 AM
I keep missing that part. Popcorn habit interferes with TV viewing so a 'intervention' may be needed.   ???

Put the TV next to the microwave? >:D

Private Investigator

Quote from: PHall on September 02, 2014, 12:36:20 AM
Quote from: Private Investigator on September 02, 2014, 12:04:39 AM

Put the TV next to the microwave? >:D

And my next pair of pants will be XXXL and I just shaved off my beard to wear blues to Wing Conference. Back to G/W  ;)

LTC Don

Quote from: AALTIS on September 01, 2014, 05:58:43 PM
I've be watching the TV show, the last ship.  In the ship's radio room, it appears that a CAP communications badge is on the wall.  Its located by the room's doorway just to the left of the door.  I figured some of our radio folks might find it interesting.

Ayup, but that would be called a 'hatch', not a door....  ;D

There is also a duplicate on the entrance side of the hatch so there's at least two of the comm shields. There is something written in white in the blue field near the top I haven't been able to make out.  Yet.

8)

As far as the finale, I can't decide if it was an homage to Soylent Green or a blatant ripoff.  If it was an homage, it was pretty cool.  If a ripoff, quite disappointing as yet another "Government is Evil" Hollywood procedural.
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: LTC Don on September 02, 2014, 02:40:25 PM

There is also a duplicate on the entrance side of the hatch so there's at least two of the comm shields. There is something written in white in the blue field near the top I haven't been able to make out.  Yet.

8)

As far as the finale, I can't decide if it was an homage to Soylent Green or a blatant ripoff.  If it was an homage, it was pretty cool.  If a ripoff, quite disappointing as yet another "Government is Evil" Hollywood procedural.

I got Soylent Green vibes as well, if not a bit different in concept. Not sure on the "evil" government. The person in charge isn't really an elected anything...

Edit: By the way, if anyone is into the "post-apocalyptic" genre, pick up the book. I saw that they made a new edition since the show was coming out. It's a completely different situation, and at this point the show is 100% different, but the book is a good read. Mild adult content within however, so anyone who hasn't been through high school health class should probably skip a few steamy pages.

SarDragon

Quote from: LTC Don on September 02, 2014, 02:40:25 PM

8)

And that would be incorrect. Contrary to popular belief, that's not a hatch.

Here's the rule - doors go through vertical surfaces (walls, bulkheads), and hatches go through horizontal surfaces (decks, overheads). In addition, there are two flavors of doors - watertight doors, and joiner doors. The former is self explanatory - there's a gasket and locking mechanism to keep the water out. The latter is a simple door, like you would have at home, to allow access through walls that divide a compartment into smaller areas. These are typically only used in spaces well above the waterline.

Oh, and there are also watertight openings, usually round, called scuttles, which go through horizontal or vertical surfaces, and allow alternate escape paths from compartments.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret