Cadet Squadron gives license for seniors to be hands-off

Started by jenidlg, September 01, 2014, 04:00:16 PM

jenidlg

Being considered for command of a cadet squadron.  As a parent, sitting in the back of the room, I believe this cadet squadron has an issue with leadership and mentoring. In that, I mean that the senior members generally function in a hands-off way and I don't see them mentoring cadets toward better decision making.  Is this the way a cadet squadron is intended to be run? 

I've read the regs and it says a cadet squadron is:

"Comprised primarily of cadets with a minimum of three senior members to meet supervisory, administrative, and training requirements in the conduct of cadet programs."
CAPR 20-1 21-b

I also read in CAPR 20-1 that it is the responsibility of the squadron commander to:

"Establish plans, policies, and procedures necessary to the fulfillment of the CAP mission..."

If I am chosen to be in command of this unit, I don't want to step on toes but I do expect this to be the best unit it can be.  I don't see that happening without a greater level of adult leadership. 

Am I missing the mark?

Unit Commander, WMCS

Eclipse

The senior members are >always< in command of the unit, and should generally be leading the majority
or the training, including creating the curriculum plans and schedules, etc.

The "By cadets, for cadets" idea is generally an excuse for adult leadership who can't be bothered,
or who don't understand the program.

That is not to say that experienced cadets should not be given responsibility and opportunity however
one thing missed in the "BCFC" conversations is that a cadet's time in any given role is transitory
by design.  It's the senior members who provide the continuity and longevity of the program
to provide the framework for cadets to excel.  They are neither extraneous nor "in the way", and
there's no member with the word "cadet" on their ID card who isn't supposed to be still in learning mode.

A cadet in any given job for more then a year generally means:

The cadet is being stifled in favor of the unit's needs.
It's a "cool" job he won't give up and some other cadets are not being given the chance.
The unit isn't recruiting properly and there is no one to >take<, the job.

Further, if you assume command, then by design you won't be "stepping on toes" as it is your
responsibility and duty to do things properly and as you see fit.

That doesn't mean you should walk in on day one and throw an ashtray, but if you see things you don't like
then you should fix it.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

On the other hand.....cadets learn by doing.

When it is appropriate cadets should be doing the classes, making the schedule, running the program....while the senior sit back and monitor, step in when necessary and make sure that the program stays on track.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

MIKE

In my experience bad things tend to happen when seniors go "hands off" and let the inmates run the asylum.... Nobody expects the IG.  ;D

It's one thing to have a framework that your cadets can work within and build upon as they progress.  It's quite another having cadets who spend all meeting drilling in circles or goofing off 'cause they can't come up with a workable quarterly schedule.
Mike Johnston

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: MIKE on September 01, 2014, 04:57:17 PM
In my experience bad things tend to happen when seniors go "hands off" and let the inmates run the asylum.... Nobody expects the IG.  ;D

Hey, I resemble that remark. (the IG part)  8)

Cadets learning to lead are going to make mistakes. I've heard it described as you need to let them scrape their knees, but not break any bones.

lordmonar

There is a balance.

Under no circumstance should the inmate be running the asyslum.....but to all extents possible is should be a FCBC program.

MajorM

I've always likened it to a theater performance.  The script and the production are handled by the seniors.  They have the long view and are more able to do the big picture stuff.

But carrying out the script and bringing it to life is the job of the actors (the cadets).  Like any good actor each cadet brings their own vitality and approach to the material.

Does theater work better when the experienced director coaches and guides the young actor on the tools of the craft?  Of course.  Is there a point though where too much advice and guidance stifles creativity and interpretation?  Yes.

And then all of that is relative to cadet experience and capacity.  Just as you would not ask a cast of new actors to take on a terribly difficult role, you also wouldn't ask a C/SSgt to take the role of Cadet Commander.  Instead you'd find a fill-in until the understudy is ready.

lordmonar

That's a good analogy I'm gonna use that at the next TLC

dwb

jenidlg - Squadron command is one of the most rewarding and frustrating positions in CAP. Best of luck to you if you're chosen!

As for "cadets running the cadet program", here's my take as a Master-rated CP guy, former Squadron CC, and current Director of Cadet Programs for an 800-cadet Wing.

One of the things that makes CAP different from a lot of youth organizations is that we strive to give cadets meaningful opportunities to lead. They can actually plan, organize, and execute meetings and activities. They can mentor junior cadets. They can participate in no-kidding emergency services missions. They can even fly CAP aircraft! This is an awesome set of possibilities for young adults.

However, because they are still cadets (and thus still "officers in training" to use a traditional definition of "cadet"), there is an oversight responsibility that falls to the senior members. Seniors also have the in loco parentis responsibility to act in a parent's stead, and this cannot be delegated to cadets. So there will always some accountability reserved solely for the adult leadership. That doesn't diminish what cadets can do, it's just a fact to keep in mind.

Also, while many cadets are eager and able to lead, many more still require guidance, and we are doing them a disservice if we fail to provide this guidance. Good senior member mentors ought to be in regular communication with the cadet staff. They should be teaching them, broadening their horizons, making them think of things in a way they hadn't thought of, and helping them to become introspective and to strive for self improvement. And although it's not strictly CAP-related, senior members also provide good role models of adult life in general - choosing careers, raising kids, being responsible members of society, etc. Cadets learn more than just CAP stuff from good mentors.

So while cadets should be running as much of the program as they are capable of, this does not excuse the senior members from their responsibility to mentor, to ensure nationally mandated program requirements are being met, and to keep the quality of the program as high as possible even if individual cadets' abilities differ.

In short, "cadets running the cadet program" does NOT mean the seniors sit in the office and drink coffee while the cadets set fire to the drill hall.

Many successful former cadets cite a small group of senior members that helped them on their journey to adulthood. The onus is on us cadet programs enthusiasts to be the mentors for the next generation of leaders.

jenidlg

My husband is incredibly good at creating analogies.  Here is what he has proposed to me, from the perspective of an outsider (non-CAP member) inspired by the comment by Eclipse.

Senior members are the lattice, the supporting foundation for the cadets. Our purpose is to provide a permanent structure on which our cadets can travel and climb.  The cadets may take different paths, like the vines in the picture.  Our goal as senior members is to be that one thing that constantly gives them the stability to grow "up"

All of your feedback has been extremely helpful and I appreciate each and every one of you.

Unit Commander, WMCS

coudano

And just to close the loop, the other extreme is equally undesirable.

The senior members should not be running every last detail of the whole show while the cadets just show up and drool.
(there are plenty of squadrons, weekend activities, and even things like encampments, where this happens)

Back to the balance thing...

I have always liked the example of the cadet program as a leadership laboratory.
Think of it like a high school science lab.

The cadets study the academics.
The cadets conduct the experiments (under careful supervision by an adult)
The cadets write up the lab report
*in this example the experiment might be performing (or commanding) drill and ceremonies;  conducting the physical fitness test and squadron PT;  leading (teaching) an aerospace activity/class; planning/executing squadron weekend activities (or group/wing activities/encampments)

The adult provides the safe, controlled environment,
the adult ensures the educational pieces are provided per standard
the adult guides the lab scientists through the lab, answering questions, or providing direction (some need more guidance, others need less)
the adult grades performance (recommends promotions/awards)
the adult periodically conducts parent/teacher conferences.

The adult does NOT leave a bunch of kids unsupervised in the chem lab with concentrate chemicals, sharp implements, and hot burners.
The adult also does not do everything (pour all the chemicals) while the cadets sit at their desk and take notes.

Garibaldi

As leadership officer of my unit, me and the DCC maintain a hands-off attitude, but we are quick to assist when things go off-track. The cadet staff comes to us with their issues, we advise, they execute. Generally, this means we sit in on staff meetings, and I keep my mouth shut until it's absolutely necessary for me to interject (such as a plan to "correct" cadets' hair cuts. Started as a joke but went way off-topic). Mainly, it involves a lot of standing around and watching. We have a few medical issues crop up from time to time, but mainly I act as a buffer between execution and disaster.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things