OPS Qual Approvals

Started by Billy009, August 28, 2014, 02:33:46 PM

Billy009

Well, I was able to determine who the person at Wing is that approves ops quals and sent a kind email requesting to take a look at my sqtrs if it wouldn't be too much trouble. The individual was kind enough to reply the following morning indicating that they would take a look at it and get back to me. That was a couple days ago. We'll see. It is a holiday weekend though and perhaps they are busy or on vacation or something.

I've only been in CAP for one year now and completed MO and AP last week. I heard from a couple others that it could be a long time (even months) until Wing approved it. One poor guy in my squadron waited 3 months before Wing looked at his sqtr's. Then suddenly he found it approved one day. When I heard all this, it kind of let the wind out of my sails because I worked hard to accomplish all these qualifications (not a pilot - zero exposure to aviation until now). It was a "proud of myself" moment. However, I'm just being selfish here because I have no idea whatsoever what Wing command has to deal with.

I appreciate all your replies and comments. Best wishes.

Storm Chaser

It should never take months. Your commander needs to address this through the chain of command.

Eclipse

Quote from: Storm Chaser on September 02, 2014, 02:37:33 PM
It should never take months. Your commander needs to address this through the chain of command.

+1 - in the time it took to reply to the email he should have just approved or denied it, and
since it's already been approved by at least one, possibly two other levels, it should have taken about
1-5 minutes to vet.

"That Others May Zoom"

MacGruff

When I completed my last bit of training for the MO qualification it took about 3 days for it to appear in e-services. This requires approval through Wing level. I did not have to remind anyone.

Separately, I looked to see what the process is for getting permission to wear the wings. That was a separate process, also needing approval at Wing level and also took a few days.

Both were reasonable in terms of waiting to see the new shiny qualifications recognized in the system.

Anything more than a week and I would start going up the chain of command asking questions.

Billy009

Well, Wing approved my AP but left the MO alone. I emailed back to inquire. He said that because they are not familiar with the trainers and qualifiers, that I would need to re-qualify with Wing. However, this person from Wing promoted the mission aircrew school that I attended and got all my qualifications. I really don't understand all this. I emailed my squadron commander the trail of emails and he got involved. He sent this person from Wing an email detailing what I just mentioned above and essentially asking, what gives? Apparently they will be seeing one another at a commanders call this weekend. We shall see.

If Wing does this for MO's and MP's for the sake of added proficiency, I understand up to a point. The thing is, I took several days off of work and paid money, and rented a car to go to MAS, which again, was promoted by this person from Wing in the first place. Had I known all this, I would not have gone through MAS and just via the monthly Sarex's since I have to do this again anyway. It's like, they promoted something that was deceiving. I really don't think this was done intentionally, I'm sure his motives were good, but I hope he can one day see this from the perspective of the member trying to learn.

One question, is it the intention that once you get approval for the MO SQTR qualifications to be proficient with all of them? For example, it says "operate the GPS." Well, I certainly operated it several times, but still not proficient with the Apollo gx55. If I'm supposed to be proficient in every area, I wish it would indicate such on the SQTR. Another one days to "operate the VOR." Well, I operated it and understand the basics, but I cannot say that I'm proficient at it.

Well, I certainly appreciate  cap talk for the opportunity to learn , express, and vent simultaneously while remaining out of the circle if you will. Thank you.

Eclipse

CAP is a >national< program, with a >national< curriculum and anyone appointed as an SET is supposed to
be accepted anywhere.

We made the decision day one that if NHQ is comfortable allowing for that, where does any one wing get
off making up extra hoops and hurdles just to propagate "not invented here".

You should have a direct chat with the commanders involved.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Are we talking about NESA MAS? If they work like GSAR your qual should have lit up automatically.

Eclipse

Quote from: Billy009 on September 04, 2014, 04:47:53 PMOne question, is it the intention that once you get approval for the MO SQTR qualifications to be proficient with all of them? For example, it says "operate the GPS." Well, I certainly operated it several times, but still not proficient with the Apollo gx55. If I'm supposed to be proficient in every area, I wish it would indicate such on the SQTR. Another one days to "operate the VOR." Well, I operated it and understand the basics, but I cannot say that I'm proficient at it.

No - basic understanding and demonstrating ability is the requirement.  Proficiency comes with practice, that's why you continue
with training and SARExs after getting the ticket punched.

Some Wings have 2-3 different comm panels and other variants to deal with, in those cases "proficiency" is a challenge, to say the least.

The important thing is to operate within your limits and ask for help when you're in the weeds.  No one can know everything, but
someone will know what you need.  What you don't want is to be pretending you can operate something you don't have a handle on
and wasting a lot of time or worse, risk someone's life instead of just asking for help.   BTDT.

"That Others May Zoom"

Billy009

This was a regional MAS using the NESA curriculum. To be honest, I'd be quite intimidated to have that kind of conversation with this Wing Commander out of respect, considering I'm a one year low ranked officer that has no clout whatsoever. I doubt it would make a difference anyway because it appears this is just how they do things in this Wing.

If they want me to remain in trainee status for a few months and gain more experience by participating in SAREX's that's one thing. It seems like that's outside of the NHQ model, but whatever, it is what it is. However, asking me to re-qualify all over again with Wing people when I attended the MAS that he promoted is another issue entirely. That's my biggest hangup here. My initial inquiry was to determine if this was the norm. Either way, I have no other choice but to accept it.

Anyway, my Squadron Commander will be asking him about it this weekend during their Commanders call so we'll see what happens. I really don't think anything is going to change. It's unfortunate, but I love the Civil Air Patrol and love being a little part of the US Air Force. It feels like I'm serving my country and receive a sense of honor from that so I'll accept whatever happens. Though it may not seem fair, it is truly a privilege to be here.

Take care friends.   

Eclipse

Your call as to how hard to push, but if the sign offs were done by properly approved SETs, no
Wing CC should be negating those sign offs.  When that starts, the whole system breaks down, a
and we might as well not have a national curriculum.

Respect goes both ways, your time isn't free, and there shouldn't be special rules, especially if you're
being encouraged to participate.

You're right in who should address it, your unit / group CC has that charge.

"That Others May Zoom"

Billy009

FYI on something I just found online:
http://www.caprcs.org/Cadets/Emergency%20Services%20Online%20Made%20Easy!.pdf

8)
Once submitted your item will appear yellow until
validated
. Once validated it will immediately appear green. If
the item is disapproved it will appear red and
you will
receive
an email and your primary email (as entered on
eServices) explaining by who and why.

Note:
Do this within 24hrs of begin evaluated otherwise your evaluator may deny your validation.
It is not uncommon however for higher echelon approval to take several weeks, do your part to ensure your documentation
is always attached if needed.
YOU MUST ATTACH THE SIGNED SQTR WHEN SEEKING VALIDATION FOR A MISSION PARTICIPATION.
TIP:
Check immediately after submitting something that it changes color, if there is no color change you did not submit it
properly.
Email your evaluator
(using the chain of comman
d)
if you have been waiting more than two weeks.

JeffDG

Good lord.

Now, every task is sent to the SET for validation online.  The paper signed SQTR is an anachronism.

Eclipse

Quote from: JeffDG on September 06, 2014, 07:47:27 PM
Good lord.

Now, every task is sent to the SET for validation online.  The paper signed SQTR is an anachronism.

I would agree, except for the high-level of computer phobia still rampant in CAP, especially
amongst the older members who are likely to make  up a good chunk of the SETs.

How does a cadet 2 groups over remember the CAPID if the SET for GT3?

What if the SET indicates he's "never heard of you", etc., etc.

If you're talking about attentive A-Teamers signing off things in real time, sure, ditch the paper,
but as we're reminded painfully here on a regular basis, connectivity is not ubiquitous and
people have "better things to do with their time then be signing into eServices..."

"That Others May Zoom"

rustyjeeper

Quote from: Eclipse on September 04, 2014, 05:01:44 PM
CAP is a >national< program, with a >national< curriculum and anyone appointed as an SET is supposed to
be accepted anywhere.

We made the decision day one that if NHQ is comfortable allowing for that, where does any one wing get
off making up extra hoops and hurdles just to propagate "not invented here".

You should have a direct chat with the commanders involved.

That is how it is SUPPOSED TO WORK. It does not.
At least not in Massachusetts where "the standards are higher"

Eclipse

Quote from: rustyjeeper on September 06, 2014, 08:44:33 PM
That is how it is SUPPOSED TO WORK. It does not.
At least not in Massachusetts where "the standards are higher"

Which is why we have regs and IGs.

"That Others May Zoom"

Billy009

This just in...

The powers that be in this wing (which I've kept anonymous) is adding an additional step. They want to meet every individual that has completed their SQTR qualifications and essentially quiz them (grill them) in person on their training to ensure proficiency prior to granting wing approval. Apparently there has been concern for quite some time that members were being fast tracked in without enough knowledge. So.....that's the deal. Proficiency now has to be attained prior to approval. Now, let's see how long it actually takes to meet with the appropriate individual/s. I'm guessing two months at the very least. Then probably more time for them to "get back to you" on their decision.

Had I known all this, I would have gone about it much differently. Personally, I would not have attended a mission aircrew school. Going to SAREX's and learning one on one from experienced members would have been much easier logistically, less time away from work and home, and better to learn retain. A friend of mine in CAP tried telling me this but I didn't listen.

If anything, this experience has given me some CAP "street smarts." I intend on sharing my experiences with new members and hopefully spare them the same trouble.

Eclipse

^ ^ ^
Quote from: Eclipse on September 06, 2014, 09:05:29 PM
Which is why we have regs and IGs.

There is some small leeway in the regs to allow retesting when members come from another wing, beyond
that, I would be very curious under what authority and supplement these extras tests are being run.

There are only two options here:

1) You accept the integrity and ability of the SETs who have certified the training and tasks.

2) You question the integrity and ability of those SETs officially, bounce the sign offs they have validated,
and remove them from their SET status.

Are we talking about SETs from the same wing or from a different wing?

Absent a supplement, the wing can disapprove a given sign-off based on an integrity or ability issue,
or suspend a member for failure to perform properly (pending remediation), but they can't simply
say "we want more missions and training", nor can they disallow a validation from another wing
solely on the basis of that evaluator not being local.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Fast tracking issues are fixed with the evaluators not the candidates. Issues with skill level should either be resolved by the evaluator or mission credit withheld by said evaluator.

It's a wonder that we actually accomplish anything in this organization, we're way too busy tripping over ourselves in the name of "quality". File an IG complaint. The ESO won't like you for it but it sounds like he's setting up a fiefdom that needs some outside light anyways.

That said, I was required to complete the same "interview" for my GTL because the wing ESO at the time didn't like me, it can be hard to rock the boat as a new member if that's not your personality.

husker

What Wing is this occurring in?
Michael Long, Lt Col CAP
Deputy Director, National Emergency Services Academy
nesa.cap.gov
mlong (at) nesa.cap.gov

Billy009

Husker,
Know that I recognize and respect your credentials. Actually, it feels like an honor to connect with you. However, I'd prefer not to disclose the Wing's state as this would turn all my questions and comments into gossip. Also, I wouldn't like to be remembered as a Cindy Brady. I may not like the position I'm in, but have no other choice than to accept it. I hope you understand.

Spaceman,
I hear ya, this "interview" is going to be quite intimidating. I don't mind rocking the boat, but don't feel it is appropriate to do so in this organization considering my time in service and grade.

Eclipse,
There was one SET from another wing that evaluated me when I attended the regions MAS, the other was from my wing. The fact that there is hesitation over this one SET from another wing confuses the heck out of me because again, the individual causing all of this right now is the very one that promoted attendance to the regions MAS. I have a feeling it is me they are concerned with. I am not a pilot, with no prior knowledge in aviation. There's no question that I'm not proficient in all areas of the sqtr for MO. Prior to joining CAP, an aeronautical chart was like a foreign language to me. I'm happy to say that's no longer the case though. :-)