Justification for Award

Started by ColonelFuller, February 18, 2019, 10:12:21 PM

ColonelFuller

Good afternoon everyone,

I just received notice that the Unit Citation that I recommended my unit for was rejected at the Region level. The reason that the Region Commander did so was "Awards committee recommends more emphasis on how the unit is supporting all three CAP missions and specific accomplishments that clearly set the unit above and apart from similar units."

Here is what I sent up the chain. My apologies for it being so long, but I wanted to give our squadron the best chance possible for getting the award.

The Midway Composite Squadron, Group III, Texas Wing, CAP, Midlothian, Texas distinguished itself by outstanding contributions to the Civil Air Patrol missions from 01 Jan 2017 to 20 Sep 2018. By performing the following: Have participated in multiple parades such as the Fourth of July 2017 and 2018, and Home Coming parade 2017. Since January of 2017 we have had 5 Wright Brothers, 8 Billy Mitchells, 2 Amelia Earharts, 1 Eaker, and 1 Spaatz milestone promotions. Whilst having a near 70% attendance rate since Jan 2017. Midway Composite Squadron served as a communications post during Hurricane Harvey. In which 10 members from our squadron served a combined total of 531.5 hours while signed into the mission. Our cadets have accumulated a combined total of over 640 community service hours since January 2017. Since June 2017 we've sent cadets to many NCSAs, such as: 3 to LESA South 2017, 2 to National Blue Beret 2018, 1 to Cyber Defense Training Academy 2018, and 1 to AF Space Command Familiarization Course 2018. Other activities cadets participated in include: LoneStar Emergency Services Academy North 2017, Airman Leadership School, Southwest Region Cadet Leadership School - East 2018, Senior Non-Commissioned Officer School, and Officer Training School. (The last two are part of the Texas Wing's Continuing Training and Education Program) (CTEP). We plan to start running the Texas Wing Group III communications net in the next couple of months. August 2018 we achieved the Quality Cadet Unit Award for the first time this year with 7 out of the 10 of the requirements. Once we train a Ground Team Leader (within a couple of months), we will have one of the largest ground teams in the Texas Wing, consisting of 7 GTM3 members including the GTML. We have been very active in ES as we currently have 28 members with GES, 24 members with ICUT, 8 Mission Radio Operators, 4 Mission Staff Assistants, 7 Urban Direction Finding members, 7 Ground Team Members at Level 3, 6 at Level 2, and 1 at Level 1, in a squadron of 41 members. Late January 2017 our squadron split and formed a sister squadron known as Corsicana Cadet Squadron SWR-TX-377. Since then, we have bounced back very well, increasing our cadet count by nearly 65%! or 11 cadets, and our senior count has increased about 25% or 3 seniors. Making us the third largest squadron (including school, composite, and cadet) and largest composite squadron in Texas Wing Group III! (When referring to cadet count) Our squadron raised the most funds in the nation during the 75 for 75 fundraiser challenge, raising over $7,000. Because of this we have started a unit color guard and hope to start competing soon. Since the June of 2017 we have sent 8 cadets to encampment and plan on sending about 6 more this winter. Our members have gone and helped staff many activities such as the Ellis County Preparedness Fair Waxahachie, TX 2017, the Waco Airshow 2017 and 2018, the Corsicana Airshow 2017 and 2018, the Civil War Reenactment in Waxahachie, TX 2018, and we have hosted the Midway Regional Airport Pancake Breakfast Fly-in for the past 5 years. Currently we are hosting the Group III SAREXs every few months. Our Senior members have organized several special activities since last year. They are: Field trip to Southwest Airlines, the Trojan Phlyers T-28 Demo Planes Group at Mid-way Regional Airport, an HAA ropes course in Dallas, TX. and we have completed each the rocketry and STEM programs twice since January 2017. The professionalism and superior performance of the personnel of the Midway Composite Squadron, Group III, Texas Wing, CAP reflect great credit on themselves, their organization and Civil Air Patrol.

And going into CAPR 39-3:

Unit  Citation  Award.
Awarded  for  exceptionally  meritorious  service  or  exceptionally  outstanding achievement which clearly sets the unit above and apart from similar units.  Members are awarded the Unit Citation ribbon if they were members of the unit during the time period for which the citation is awarded.
(1)Recognition  of  meritorious  service  should  cover  a  period  of  at  least  12  months  in  order  to  permit  the  recommending  authority  to  consider  simultaneously  units  with  related  missions,  compare  all  the  units  within  their  wing  or  region,  and  select  the  truly  outstanding  unit  meriting  the  award.
(2)Recognition  of  outstanding  achievements  intended  to  recognize  a  single  specific  act  or notable accomplishment that is separate and distinct from the normal mission or regular function of the unit.  The period of an outstanding achievement is normally short and characterized by definite beginning and ending dates.

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Personally, I don't believe the reasoning merited the award being rejected, but of course I'm going to say that. Haha

Eclipse

It sounds like you have a very active squadron doing exactly what a CAP unit is expected to do.

QCUA I'm sure, SOM is certainly something you should be considered for, even SOD, but considering the
returned comments, you would need to show how you compared to other units of comparable size before
one could know if you deserve a UCC based on the criteria.

I don't personally consider members attending outside activities as part of a unit's UCC achievements.

Progression and active participation are supposed to be expectations, not commendable achievements.

Just for comparisons sake, take out all the things that are expectations from the narrative and see what is left.
It's those things that make your unit special.

Quote from: ColonelFuller on February 18, 2019, 10:12:21 PMMidway Composite Squadron served as a communications post during Hurricane Harvey. In which 10 members from our squadron served a combined total of 531.5 hours while signed into the mission.

Our squadron raised the most funds in the nation during the 75 for 75 fundraiser challenge, raising over $7,000.

we have hosted the Midway Regional Airport Pancake Breakfast Fly-in for the past 5 years.

And even of those three things, the first should have garnered comm-comms (or higher), and the other two
have tangible benefits in and of themselves.

Also, things you "will do" don't count for decorations (or anything else) until they are actually done.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

On a related note, the third largest unit in >TXWG< has only 14 cadets?

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on February 18, 2019, 10:40:43 PM

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

LSThiker

The OP did not say that.  Rather the 3rd largest unit in TXWG Group III.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on February 18, 2019, 11:10:52 PM

oops, got the status reversed.  I see it now.

And LSTHiker's comment that third in Group, which would go more to maybe an ACH for the Unit
CC if there was some impediment to growth, etc., but as UCC is a wing-level award, 3rd in the Wing
might be notable enough (after school programs), but not 3rd in a Group.

The numbers cited are about average for a strong unit in many wings.

"That Others May Zoom"

ColonelFuller

I understand where you are coming from in regards to the "we're going to" portion of the justification. In regards to growth of the squadron, I was using that as a "check mark" for how our squadron sets itself apart from other units in the group, if not the wing. Also, the 70% participation rate is fairly unheard of, at least from what I've seen and heard in the last 4.5 years I've been in CAP. Not trying to make myself or anyone in particular seem amazing or anything, but I wanted to touch on your points to the best the I could.

Thank you for your input and appreciate any further comments from everyone.

TheSkyHornet

I'm not tracking on the necessity for the unit to be involved in all three CAP missions. In fact, CAPR 39-3 suggests that the award should recommend a single specific act or notable accomplishment. To me, that's one area---not a mass span of events.

j. Unit Citation Award. Awarded for exceptionally meritorious service or exceptionally
outstanding achievement which clearly sets the unit above and apart from similar units. Members are
awarded the Unit Citation ribbon if they were members of the unit during the time period for which
the citation is awarded.

(1) Recognition of meritorious service should cover a period of at least 12 months in
order to permit the recommending authority to consider simultaneously units with related missions,
compare all the units within their wing or region, and select the truly outstanding unit meriting the
award.

(2) Recognition of outstanding achievements intended to recognize a single specific act
or notable accomplishment that is separate and distinct from the normal mission or regular function
of the unit. The period of an outstanding achievement is normally short and characterized by definite
beginning and ending dates.

Fester

Judging by the reasons received, I'd be guessing that they'd be looking for what you've done with regards to the AE (internal AND external) mission.  And more information on what your squadron has done that other squadrons haven't.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

CAP9907

It sounds like your Unit is doing great, kinda like what CAP expects a Unit to do.. 

Not sure that rates an award, but I am out of the loop for Squadron-level achievements.
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

ColonelFuller

Just to add, I didn't post this to bash anyone. I can understand why it was rejected, it's just a little disappointing. Especially when you think that your unit has done things to earn it, but apparently what we've done just makes us a good squadron.

The thing that kind of gets me is that there isn't anything else that anyone could recommend their unit for. (Just the Unit Citation and National Commander's Unit Citation, to my knowledge). Does anyone have any suggestions for what I could do as an alternative?

Thanks!

TheSkyHornet

Here's something to consider, perhaps:
If the unit doesn't warrant the receipt of a citation, perhaps single out some key personnel and recommend them for Commander's Commendations or Achievement Awards if you feel those would be appropriate.

Holding Pattern

I'd ask for specific examples of what they want to see based on that rejection.

Holding Pattern

I would also reformat that into a powerpoint to give to presentations everywhere, including your open house.

MSG Mac

First change it from first person to third person narrative, lots of we did this, use the words the Squadron or unit accomplished the following.  We plan to assume responsibility for GP III communications  in the coming year, means you haven't done it yet, ditto for the Color Guard. Your narrative rambles from one point to another with little cohesion. Rewrite it, have two or more others read it and suggest changes. Then do it at least one more time. Break it into several paragraphs, highlighting the different topics.

I believe Texas or SER received the National Commanders Unit Citation, which may supersede the UC.

As suggested by others, consider putting your high flyers from the Hurricane in for individual awards.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

ColonelFuller

I have talked with my squadron leadership and they didn't think that it was needed to put people in for individual awards due to the members earning the Disaster Relief Ribbon with the Silver "V" device.

Also, when a Wing earns a citation, specifically Texas Wing, wouldn't everyone wear one? I was not in CAP when the citation was earned, but I figured I'd see a lot more members wearing them. It also says "TX-001 Awards", would that mean that only people that are on Wing Staff be allowed to wear one?

Thanks!

jeders

Quote from: ColonelFuller on February 21, 2019, 11:14:08 PM
I have talked with my squadron leadership and they didn't think that it was needed to put people in for individual awards due to the members earning the Disaster Relief Ribbon with the Silver "V" device.

If it's for Harvey, then most of the participants were given Comm Comms or better. A few people didn't get awards during the initial round because of various reasons, in which case your squadron leadership should absolutely put them in for at least an achievement award, if not a Comm Comm. Everyone who flew on at least one sortie got a Comm Comm, so there's a good guide for what to recommend.

Also, when a Wing earns a citation, specifically Texas Wing, wouldn't everyone wear one? I was not in CAP when the citation was earned, but I figured I'd see a lot more members wearing them. It also says "TX-001 Awards", would that mean that only people that are on Wing Staff be allowed to wear one?

It depends, the citation justification will say whether it was just wing staff or the entire wing. For instance, when the national conference was in San Antonio year before last, it was announced that all of Texas Wing was awarded a UC (that includes you and me); unfortunately, unless you were in that particular presentation, you would never know anything about it.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

SarDragon

Thanks!
This discussion has popped up on here before but it's been a while.
If the citation says Texas Wing, it means everyone who was in the wing during the period of the citation. If it says TX-001, or Texas Wing HQ, then only that group of people gets the award.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret