Logging Your sUAS Hours ... Now or Later?

Started by etodd, April 18, 2019, 01:58:10 AM

etodd

In manned aircraft, a new pilot has to work through a Form 5, to become a VFR Pilot and can then begin working through all the steps to become a Mission Pilot.

Similar on the sUAS side.  You do not have to have any previous sUAS time logged to begin working though your F5u.

But the prerequisite to start the Mission Pilot SQTR and F91u for sUAS is 7 hours. Then you'll need 15 hours to be signed off.

"Prior logged time" that can be validated applies.

My suggestion is to open up a free account at airdata.com and upload any compatible files from:

DJI GO (iOS or Android), DJI GS Pro (iOS), Litchi, AutoPilot, MapPilot, DroneDeploy, UltimateFlight, TopPilot, Pix4D Capture or Skywatch

My point with this post? If you are interested in the Program, and Wing hasn't started asking you about it yet, and you have a compatible drone, start logging your time now online so your Check Pilot can verify it when the time comes.  With batteries that only last 20 minutes, think about how much stick time you might actually get at the average SAREX or other training day. Could take you years to get to 15 hours if you don't take the initiative. Make friends with the guy down the street with a DJI. Use your software on your iPad, then upload to your account.

No, CAP will not be making this easy. My joining CAP and working up to Mission Pilot in the airplane was much easier than this. The sUAS Program simply stated, is for "self starters" with a desire to succeed (within the guidelines).

Be the person when Wing calls that can say "I'm ready and have experience".

Lets Go Fly!
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

sardak

QuoteMy suggestion is to open up a free account at airdata.com and upload any compatible files from:

DJI GO (iOS or Android), DJI GS Pro (iOS), Litchi, AutoPilot, MapPilot, DroneDeploy, UltimateFlight, TopPilot, Pix4D Capture or Skywatch
While Airdata.com has some nice features, hours can be uploaded through DJIGo4 without the need for additional software or a third party website.  I have a 107, 25 logged hours, and completed both FEMA courses. Now I have to find the secret passage.

Mike

etodd

Quote from: sardak on April 18, 2019, 02:26:12 AM

I have a 107, 25 logged hours, and completed both FEMA courses. Now I have to find the secret passage.

Fantastic start! At 30 hours you could be eligible to be an Instructor and a Check Pilot, Every Wing will need many.

Check your PMs for info ....

Gunsotsu

The problem is there's no consideration in the program for experience with sUAS platforms that don't have logging capabilities. I've been flying various platforms (quads predominately, a hex a few times and a fixed wing once) for more than half a decade, but on platforms that log hours I only have a handful of hours. That's a burden that our manned brethren don't have since they only need produce their logbook.

etodd

Quote from: Gunsotsu on April 18, 2019, 03:40:40 AM
The problem is there's no consideration in the program for experience with sUAS platforms that don't have logging capabilities. I've been flying various platforms (quads predominately, a hex a few times and a fixed wing once) for more than half a decade, but on platforms that log hours I only have a handful of hours. That's a burden that our manned brethren don't have since they only need produce their logbook.

I think this will wind up varying by Check Pilot. Nothing in the regs specifically states how the "past hours" must be logged. If I can see by your sorties flown that its obvious you have lots of experience flying safely, I would be more inclined to believe a paper logbook handed to me.  If on the other hand, someone tells me he has 50 hours, and his flying is erratic, it might make one wonder.  LOL

On the commercial side of drones, I can fly many sites in one day and "feel like" I've flown several hours. Then I look at the flight records in DJI Go and see I only flew 1:20 that day.  Construction progress I can fly an average site in 10 minutes. People don't realize how short the actual "stick time" is.

At any rate, keep track of your time. Recreate some of the past flights on paper. It might just be all you need. :)

(ETA:  At some point CAP will be using KittyHawk for all flight records.)