WRIGHT BROTHERS TEST

Started by cantthinkof1, January 29, 2013, 08:45:27 PM

cantthinkof1

I'm a C/SrA trying to earn my Wright Brothers.  I have everything filled out on my promotions sheet and the only thing I need to do is PASS the actual test.  I've taken it 3 times.  The first two times, I failed by TWO points.  The third time, I thought I'd change up the answers to the questions and failed by THREE points!  The test seems so easy; most of the questions are common sense.  The trouble is, unlike the eServices tests, you cannot see which questions you got wrong so you can study them, which is a huge problem because I do not struggle with any of the questions.  Any help, tips, experiences that can help me with my next attempt????

P.S. Three C/2nd Lts. at my squadron failed 7 times in a row.  There seems to be a problem with the way this test is proctored...

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Russell Hart on January 29, 2013, 08:45:27 PM
I'm a C/SrA trying to earn my Wright Brothers.  I have everything filled out on my promotions sheet and the only thing I need to do is PASS the actual test.  I've taken it 3 times.  The first two times, I failed by TWO points.  The third time, I thought I'd change up the answers to the questions and failed by THREE points!  The test seems so easy; most of the questions are common sense.  The trouble is, unlike the eServices tests, you cannot see which questions you got wrong so you can study them, which is a huge problem because I do not struggle with any of the questions.  Any help, tips, experiences that can help me with my next attempt? ???

P.S. Three C/2nd Lts. at my squadron failed 7 times in a row.  There seems to be a problem with the way this test is proctored...

There's nothing wrong with the tests or proctoring. While a lot of cadets fail, many also pass on the first try.

No one should be allowed to take it 7 times and fail. Someone should be assigned to mentor the cadet. They need a breather to study and not take the test. The test doesn't change, and the fact that you changed answers to make it different tells me that YOU did not study. What matters is mastering the material (not open book, obviously), and reading comprehension.

IN other words, don't blame the test, study!

None of this material is new. It is all the same as in the first 3 chapters of the leadership book. As to what you get wrong, you SHOULD be getting a list of chapters/sections that you need to focus on, but the point is not to fix the minor mistakes, the point is to learn the material, so get the questions you missed (the references provided), focus on those, but also read the rest of the materials.

Offutteer

Texas Wing has some worksheets based on Learn to Lead that might help you out.  http://www.texascadet.org/Resources.html

Also, ask the Testing Officer to give you the objective numbers for the questions that you missed.  That way you'll know the areas that you need to study.

Good luck!

Cap'n

There is nothing wrong with the test, like what was said above. All people are different when it comes to tests- I passed the first time with a 96%, while most of my friends had to retake it a good 3-4 times. You need to study, and that's the basis of passing. Like I was showing the cadets in my flight the other day (some of which are studying for the same rest you are), studying is key. It's your first cumulative exam as a cadet, and it gives you a good idea of what you will need to do on further Milestone exams. My Leadership 1 book is literally covered in post-it notes, and all of the bolded or important words/phrases are highlighted. This means of studying worked for me, but you have to find the right one for you.

The practice tests he was talking about are a huge help. If you can answer every question on there, no doubt you'll pass. But, keep in mind it's not about changing your answers to get that passing grade. The reason you take this test, is so you can pass onto the NCO grades, where much more is expected of you as a cadet. You will need to actually perform the material in the book, and as a C/SSgt, you will start teaching your own cadets.

Good luck on the exam! It is a hard test, but keep up the positive attitude! I know if you follow all of the advice on this topic, and keep studying, you'll pass this next time around.

johnnyb47

My suggestion would be to change your study habbits.
What you have been doing has worked to a point but now you are at an impass.
If reading the book is all you've had to do so far then try underlining key passages, take notes on the items that you are having the most trouble retaining and have another cadet of family member ask you random questions based off information in the book.

A highliter can be your best friend.
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

okeecap

It is not the test, it is a difficult exam on three chapters.  Now there is a bit of confusion when it comes to the old books leadership in the 21st century and the new ones but I do not believe this is a problem here.  Ask one of the C/2ndLt to help you or another senior cadet.  Even one of your cadet leaders, sometimes there are study guides available. ;)

cantthinkof1

Offutteer

You're welcome, though Texas should get the credit for creating the work sheets.

And for a study tip, review the objectives after reading the section.  Can you meet the objectives (i.e., Describe the key term or identify X)?

As an example,  Learn to Lead, Chapter 1, page 222

24. Explain why drill and ceremonies helps cadets develop leadership.

You would say, "Drill and ceremonies help cadets develop leadership by X, y and Z."  You should be able to answer it without looking at the book.  If you can do that for each objective, you should know the material well enough to pass.

lordmonar

Quote from: Russell Hart on January 29, 2013, 08:45:27 PM
I'm a C/SrA trying to earn my Wright Brothers.  I have everything filled out on my promotions sheet and the only thing I need to do is PASS the actual test.  I've taken it 3 times.  The first two times, I failed by TWO points.  The third time, I thought I'd change up the answers to the questions and failed by THREE points!  The test seems so easy; most of the questions are common sense.  The trouble is, unlike the eServices tests, you cannot see which questions you got wrong so you can study them, which is a huge problem because I do not struggle with any of the questions.  Any help, tips, experiences that can help me with my next attempt????

While the proctor can't tell you what questions you missed....they can (and should after your 3rd failure) tell you what chapters you need to study. 
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

C/2d Lt

First of all I am getting the impression that you are getting the same test each time. (My squadron had different test with relatively same questions at the same difficulty.) If this is the case and the test seams easy to you than, Ill try to say this in a nice way but, you are getting the same questions wrong. As you said, you changed your answers gives me the impression that you do not no which questions these are.

My advice... read the text book. NOT FOR STUDY PURPOSES! Everyone tells you to read for study time, I know they told me the same thing) Read through the text because the answers come from the book. I failed my test once and fortunately got the same test again. After I took the test I read through the book and saw at least six questions that I got wrong on the test. It Also verified the questions that I got right. IT WORKS!

I ended up getting a hundred on the test.

Best of Luck
C/1st Lt Neuman                                                 Cadet Executive Officer    NER-NY- 135                                    

Kansas Wing Winter Encampment ES Flight-2012       *GTM3, MRO, UDF, FLM, MSA
New York Wing Encampment-
              2012- Golf Flight Inflight
              2013- Charlie Flight Commander- Honor Flight for the Encampment
              2014- Squadron 2 Commander

a2capt

Really? There's only -ONE- Wright Brothers test. In all of the last three editions I've had from NHQ

Leadership 2000 as published most recently in 2006, and Learn to Lead 2010 and 2011 editions, are all ONE test. The Earhart is the only one I've seen where there are multiple variations from NHQ.

If someone is making up a test .. this is not a Good Thing. I hope that's not happening. :)

C/2d Lt

They are the same test with different versions. It is a way for cadets to not memorize and share the questions on the test. Learn the material not the test questions.

PS. By no means are the test being made up, I'm positive.
C/1st Lt Neuman                                                 Cadet Executive Officer    NER-NY- 135                                    

Kansas Wing Winter Encampment ES Flight-2012       *GTM3, MRO, UDF, FLM, MSA
New York Wing Encampment-
              2012- Golf Flight Inflight
              2013- Charlie Flight Commander- Honor Flight for the Encampment
              2014- Squadron 2 Commander

Майор Хаткевич

No, I checked. There is only a CAPT70. No -1s 2s, As or Bs

a2capt

When NHQ sent us new testing materials recently ... there was only ONE Wright Brothers test.

Memorizing and sharing questions .. isn't a problem. If they can memorize them, they can pass the darn thing.

OTOH, I'll have to inquire now if there are multiple versions. Since the test booklet is not labeled -A, -B, or such, I highly doubt it.

..and none of the past revisions have been labeled as such, either.

lordmonar

I wonder if his squadron is using the old book Mitchell and the new book Mitchell tests as an A/B version.

They should not be doing this.....but I can see where the misunderstanding could come from.

To the OP.....I would suggest that you respectfully asky your testing officer, Deputy For Cadets, or Commanding Officer to check with the wing Director for Cadet Programs and get this fixed.

a2capt

Mitchell? .. Wright Brothers.

As for the Leadership 2000 vs. Learn to Lead, I started to suggest that. But since the texts are so different, I have to hope a TCO knows that isn't even the same.

There is a 2010 and 2011 edition of the Wright Brothers test. One supersedes the other. It's got some corrections in the text, and revisions in the questions based on previous test revisions from the online question pool.

The biggest glaring fix is the "STO" at the end, now correctly reads "STOP".

But there is only ONE CURRENT version, and there has only ever been ONE CURRENT version each time. There should not be any more than one.

lordmonar

I agree.....and thanks for the correction.  I did mean WB not M.

cantthinkof1

Passed it!  Received an 80/100.  My flight sergeant, who is a C/SrA, failed his for the second time in a row.  He made flash cards and everything, too, even brought them to the squadron and studied with me and others 40 minutes before the test.  This test is extremely tricky for some.

Майор Хаткевич

It all comes down to memorizing the terms EXACTLY. Some questions have answers that are real close

a2capt

..or understanding the material, and reading CAREFULLY.