becomming a Check Pilot

Started by flyguy06, January 03, 2007, 04:00:05 AM

flyguy06

If a person is a FAA CFI, how do they become a CAP Check pilot?

Al Sayre

Attend National Check Pilot School.  We just had one for MS & AL about 3 weeks ago.  Check with your DO.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

SJFedor

NCPSC, designation by the wing/region commander or his designee (usually the Wing DOV)

NCPSC is also required to be a Mission Check Pilot, but being a CFI is not required, nor really encouraged. Just mad skill as a MP, so you know how to teach it and make sure others know what theyre doing.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

ande.boyer

Quote from: Al Sayre on January 03, 2007, 04:11:03 AM
Attend National Check Pilot School.  We just had one for MS & AL about 3 weeks ago.  Check with your DO.

We did? I didn't know anything about that.... Where/when was it?

Al Sayre

Gulfport ANG Training Center,  1st week of December, 07-T-3384.  We will probably do it again later this year, we've been sharing stuff pretty regularly with ALWG.  Several of our guys went to the one ya'll held back around May.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

bosshawk

For those who are into regs, 60-1 describes what it takes to become a Check Pilot and what it takes to become a Mission Check Pilot.

Your Wing DOV(Stan/Eval) for those who deal in English, is the person to contact to see what your particular Wing wants and requires.

Generally, a CFI is required for Check Pilot, while 60-1 states that a MPS with 25 missions as a MPS is a good start toward becoming a Mission Check Pilot.  Someone is correct in that a CFI is not required to become a Mission Check Pilot.  In fact, there is no particular reason for a CFI to even think about becoming a Mission Check Pilot when he/she can qualify to be a Check Pilot.  Without getting too complicated, a Check Pilot(assuming that he/she is a MPS) can give both Form 5 and Form 91 rides, while a Mission Check Pilot can only give Form 91 rides.

Is that confusing enough?  Good, I accomplished that in good order.

BTW: am a Mission Check Pilot.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

AlaskanCFI

There can be a down side to being a Check Pilot.   At least in small squadrons or wings. 

I can't go get my form 5 checks by another Check pilot.   They must be done by a Chief check pilot or an assistant chief check pilot.

SO,,, I may do a bunch for all the other guys and gals, but then there is always a scheduling snag trying to get a Chief Check pilot here (or me go there) to do my form 5 checks when I expire. 

It got to the point where our other check pilot said the heck with it and reverted back to being a mission pilot so I could do her check-rides here,,,

If you are an active CFI, you sometimes have to fend off your CAP buddies who want you to sign off their BFRs after their most recent Form 5.

Some of them don't see the difference between taking food off your table,, when they would not being doing the same for you if you asked a roofer to roof your house for free , just because you are squadron mates...

xx
Major, Squadron Commander Stan-Eval..Instructor Pilot- Alaska Wing CAP
Retired Alaska Air Guard
Retired State of Alaska Law Dawg, Retired Vol Firefighter and EMT
Ex-Navy, Ex-Army,
Firearms Instructor
Alaskan Tailwheel and Floatplane CFI
http://www.floatplanealaska.com

sdcapmx

So you are saying that your CAP buddies are expected to pay you for a BFR?  Apparently you are a CFI with a flight school or with your own aircraft.  My question is what is the big deal if you are not a paid CFI at a civilian flight school and you sign off a BFR?  We have CFIs that will do rating upgrades with our pilots without a blink but when it comes time for a BFR I have heard some grumbling from the CFI about that. 

bosshawk

sd: I don't know the source of the grumbling among CFIs that you are specifically referring to , but I have heard CFI Check Pilots out here grumble when a CAP member, doing a Form 5, mentions at the conclusion that he would also like the ride signed off as a BFR(actually now a FR).  The source of the grumbling that I have heard is that the FR requires an hour of ground instruction, while the Form 5 does not.  If you spring the FR request at the end of the ride, then the Check Pilot may not have planned enough time in his day to accommodate the pilot.  Not trying to be a devils advocate, but sometimes pilots do not think far enough ahead when they are taking a CAP Check Ride.  I occasionally get some of that on 91 rides, which I do administer.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

flynd94

I will agree with Paul.  I am a CAWG Check Pilot and CFI.  A couple of weeks ago I did a form 5 for a member.  I fit it into my schedule and, then at the end he asks if I will sign off for his flgiht review.  He was quite upset with me when I said no.  I explained that 1.  I wasn't prepared for that (I generally tailor the ground portion to questions I ask them ahead of time) 2.  That it required at least a 1hr min ground 3.  I didn't have the time.  He just didn't seem to understand that me free time on weekends is limited.  I fly full time during the week for a part 135 freight company and, spend my weekends getting ready for the work wee.

One thing that bugs me is when folks don't think ahead.  Be considerate of others time.

Keith Stason, Capt, CAWG CAP
IC, MP, MO, MS, GTL, GTM, UDF, GBD, AOBD, MRO, Check Pilo
CAWG ES Ground Team Training Coordinator
Keith Stason, Maj, CAP
IC3, AOBD, GBD, PSC, OSC, MP, MO, MS, GTL, GTM3, UDF, MRO
Mission Check Pilot, Check Pilot

sdcapmx

I fully understand the time issue.  That is a seperate issue.