Main Menu

What about hazing?

Started by mrcadet, May 02, 2012, 01:54:48 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: Littleguy on May 08, 2012, 03:35:26 AM
If you want to haze others, by tradition, YOU have to be hazed. Come to my squadron, I would be glad to administer it. You have to sign a hold harmless before attending and proof of medical insurance with your card on you at all times.

A full-on violation of both regulations and common sense.  It is doubtful your unit is actually doing something like that, because if they
are, whoever came up with that bright idea has no idea what they are talking about.

Do you even know what a "hold harmless" agreement is? It's a contract.  There's no Wing CC worth his birds that would sign, or permit to be signed,
a "OK to haze me" contract.

"That Others May Zoom"

Sgt. Fischer

Stay Alert!
Stay Alive!
CAP Safety!

AngelWings

Quote from: Eclipse on May 08, 2012, 01:16:11 PM
If you want to haze others, by tradition, YOU have to be hazed. Come to my squadron, I would be glad to administer it. You have to sign a hold harmless before attending and proof of medical insurance with your card on you at all times.

A full-on violation of both regulations and common sense.  It is doubtful your unit is actually doing something like that, because if they
are, whoever came up with that bright idea has no idea what they are talking about.

Do you even know what a "hold harmless" agreement is? It's a contract.  There's no Wing CC worth his birds that would sign, or permit to be signed,
It was a joke. Have some faith in me! I'm against hazing all the way, and people who want to haze my fellow cadets are people I do not like. I thought you'd get that it was a sarcastic joke by the fact I brought up medical insurance and a hold harmless.

Eclipse

Unfortunately there are far too many members and even leaders who would believe your idea would be OK.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Littleguy on May 08, 2012, 09:00:57 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 08, 2012, 01:16:11 PM

It was a joke. Have some faith in me! I'm against hazing all the way, and people who want to haze my fellow cadets are people I do not like. I thought you'd get that it was a sarcastic joke by the fact I brought up medical insurance and a hold harmless.
Even I know it was a joke.  ;D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

ol'fido

I see we're still feeding the troll. ;D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Patterson

Legitimate question here:  Would assigning Cadets to the "clean up crew" responsible for emptying trash cans at the end of the meeting be considered hazing?  The Cadets are assigned based on the uniform inspection results at each meeting.

Cliff_Chambliss

No, your example of the cleanup crew would not be hazing.  However, if you were to detail a cadet or two to get trash from the dumpster and carry it into the building and then back out again, that could be hazing.  Also, if you were to put a cadet into the dumster because of a dirty or unkept uniform that could be considered hazing. 
If everyone's uniform passed inspection and you picked two cadets for cleanup because  last week they failed unifrom inspection, you are getting pretty close to the hazing line.

As leaders we have or good subordinates, the superstars that hit all the right buttons and erything they do shines.  We also have our "GOOD" subordinates that often the only positive thing we can say about them is they are a perfect bad example.  We must always be on guard that we are nor overy generous with rewards for the good nor overly critical of the "GOOD".
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

a2capt

Cleanup duty for us is a specific flight each time, one puts tables/chairs away, another sweeps, mops, or scrubs anything. It's not tied to anything result wise at all other than rotation. You did it last week, now you do this, or you get a nothing week because we have 3 flights plus staff.

Plus, everyone is usually pretty eager to help/do something.

There are other ways to do it besides linking a duty to be done to the outcome of something else. Inspection should be educational, not a beat down, or even close to it. "You failed this, you get to dump the trash". That you're looking for someone to dump trash, and someone will need to be failed so that the trash gets dumped..  is almost the way I see it.

Vs. at the beginning of the meeting, the 1st Sgt. says "Charlie flight is responsible for the trash tonight", and it gets done. Period. Some of them will even race each other to do it. Enthusiasm mostly gets a better job done.

Fail the uniform inspection, have them study 39-1 (which might be considered hazing ... ;-) 
Set a goal for zero failures, and reward 'em. Disconnect the negative from it and you'll usually accomplish both goals without heartburn or hassle over any of it.

Save that for the DI's and bootcamp, where if the decide to take that route, they'll sail right past it because they learned it all here.

peter rabbit

Quote from: Patterson on May 13, 2012, 01:00:56 PM
Legitimate question here:  Would assigning Cadets to the "clean up crew" responsible for emptying trash cans at the end of the meeting be considered hazing?  The Cadets are assigned based on the uniform inspection results at each meeting.

From CAPR 52-10: Examples of hazing include using exercise as punishment or assigning remedial training that does not fit the deficiency (such as making a cadet run laps for having poorly shined shoes).