tips for first-timers

Started by whatevah, February 24, 2005, 09:01:25 PM

Yoda

Quote from: SAR junkie on August 08, 2005, 09:27:12 PM
Quote from: Greg on February 24, 2005, 11:56:22 PM
Quote from: Cmdbuddy on February 24, 2005, 11:43:16 PM
Shut up and listen

Also along those lines- don't try to prove to the staff how much you know.

hehe
Speaking from experience on both counts. I just went to the GLR Southern encampment in Greenville Kentucky. I am a MSgt and my flight SGT was just a SSgt. And the fact that I am the C/CC at my squadron back home, well lets just say it didnt help me much.

My CMSgt from my squadron was also attending basic encampment with me. He caught alot of flak. We didnt go against what our Flight Sgt. was saying...much. but we both felt we knew more than him. not because of rank but simply from experience.

My CMSgt had issues with shutting up and listening...and i had a problem with not showing how much i knew to the Cadres. oh well im through it now and next year i can go back and be a Cadre.  ::)

i definitly suggest going to the first encampment that becomes avalible to you because you will get more, LOTS MORE out of the basic encampment experience if you are brand new. out of my squadron i had three airmen go. and actually two of those three have been in for close to two years now. but the third one, he has learned so much. anyways my point is that "green cadets" (newbies) get way more out of it, so go as early as you can.

P.S. DO NOT try to prove to your Cadres that your uniform is correct even with the revised version of 39-1 because i did...and it didnt go over too well.  :-\
Actually, I think you'll find that whether you're correct or not, it's your approach that matters.  If you throw a hissy-fit right there and then about your uniform being correct, I wouldn't care how right you were, you're behaving very poorly as a follower and disrespectfully in general.  If, on the other hand, you were to approach your flight sergeant or commander in a more private oppurtunity and say "Sir/Ma'am/Sergeant, I had been going by my interpretation of the manual.  Right here it says that we should have our grade 1 inch from the collar.  What did I do wrong so I don't make that mistake again?", you are much more likely to get a favorable response.  Your tone, body language, and general attitude will all make a difference in how you are recieved. 

It's all right to be a very knowledgeable cadet going to your basic encampment.  Just exercise care in how you use your knowledge.  When I was in my basic encampment year, I was loaded with delusions of power.  It wasn't my flight staff that ended up getting the point across to me, it was my peers in flight.  They didn't much like my attitude as an element leader, and the good thing that came of it was that I changed.

lreichardt

I attended my first encampment as a Chief last summer.  Since it was my first that means I was a...you guessed it...basic.  Exciting, neh?  As stated above, I truly reccommend that cadets try to attend ASAP after joining.  I had a huge amount of fun at encampment, but the probability of pulling that off decreases, I think, the higher up in grade you go.  Encampment really is meant for the cadets without much grade. 

On a different note, I kept a journal for each day that I was at encampment.  If anyone would like to read that, please e-mail me and I will send it to you. 

C/2d Lt Laura Reichardt, CAP

Yoda

Quote from: lreichardt on October 16, 2005, 06:30:49 AM
I attended my first encampment as a Chief last summer.  Since it was my first that means I was a...you guessed it...basic.  Exciting, neh?  As stated above, I truly reccommend that cadets try to attend ASAP after joining.  I had a huge amount of fun at encampment, but the probability of pulling that off decreases, I think, the higher up in grade you go.  Encampment really is meant for the cadets without much grade. 

On a different note, I kept a journal for each day that I was at encampment.  If anyone would like to read that, please e-mail me and I will send it to you. 

You make an excellent point here, and for a couple of reasons.  First, cadets are much more likely to stick with the program if they attend encampment.  Second, the training that encampment provides is very unique and all but impossible to duplicate at the home squadron.  To have cadets locked into an challenging enviroment for a week or more on end truly provides a one-of-a-kind training enviroment.

I almost think encampment should be a requirement for C/MSgt or even the Wright Brothers Award, but the frequency with which it is offered doesn't make this a terribly feasible idea.

lreichardt

You make an excellent point here, and for a couple of reasons.  First, cadets are much more likely to stick with the program if they attend encampment.  Second, the training that encampment provides is very unique and all but impossible to duplicate at the home squadron.  To have cadets locked into an challenging enviroment for a week or more on end truly provides a one-of-a-kind training enviroment.

I almost think encampment should be a requirement for C/MSgt or even the Wright Brothers Award, but the frequency with which it is offered doesn't make this a terribly feasible idea.
[/quote]

I found that encampment motivated the newest Airman (he'd pinned on his stripes just a month before he came) to the couple of Chiefs that were in my Flight, including myself.  However, the Airman really learned more.  Plus,  my Flight Sergeant was the exact same grade as me...not to say I wasn't respectful or anything, but it did change the dynamic a bit. :-\

I think California Wing, and some other Wings, have the right idea by offering Airmen and NCO training schools on weekends.  These aren't weeks, but they do offer a little bit of that week long mentality, and a break to normal routine of two hours a week.  I'm implementing a Cadet Basic Training School at my squadron right now...it'd be so much easier if I could just get them away for a whole weekend, instead of offering it over the course of eight weeks! >:(

Encampment had been offered about a month before I joined...so I couldn't go, obviously.  At the end of my first year (I think I was a TSgt) I had some other activities/issues come up, so at the last minute I couldn't go.  Your idea is a good one...but it might delay promotion unjustly for a whole year.   :(  I think that would end up losing us more cadets then it gained, to be honest. :-X

Talon One Six

first timers, do what your told the first time, and try to keep in mind the fun stuff you'll be doing ie UH-60 rides, M-16/SAW shoot, repealing (all done in my first encapment (GAWG 04)

2nd timers non-staff....why are you not on staff?, i did it becuase i couldnt get a staff slot. but anyway take a basic under your wing, show them how to polish boots, make a bed, D&C and the stuff ur flight staff cant go over everyday, you never know you may end up having to fill in for one of them, i did when my FS twisted his ankle

staff, remember how you felt about ur flight staff at ur basic encampment, dont make the same mistakes

C/Captain
XO Plainfield Cadet Squadron NJ-102

SJFedor

Quote from: lreichardt on October 17, 2005, 06:02:30 PM

I found that encampment motivated the newest Airman (he'd pinned on his stripes just a month before he came) to the couple of Chiefs that were in my Flight, including myself.  However, the Airman really learned more.  Plus,  my Flight Sergeant was the exact same grade as me...not to say I wasn't respectful or anything, but it did change the dynamic a bit. :-\

I think California Wing, and some other Wings, have the right idea by offering Airmen and NCO training schools on weekends.  These aren't weeks, but they do offer a little bit of that week long mentality, and a break to normal routine of two hours a week.  I'm implementing a Cadet Basic Training School at my squadron right now...it'd be so much easier if I could just get them away for a whole weekend, instead of offering it over the course of eight weeks! >:(

Encampment had been offered about a month before I joined...so I couldn't go, obviously.  At the end of my first year (I think I was a TSgt) I had some other activities/issues come up, so at the last minute I couldn't go.  Your idea is a good one...but it might delay promotion unjustly for a whole year.   :(  I think that would end up losing us more cadets then it gained, to be honest. :-X

[/quote]

I really agree with your idea that encampment should be a requirement for something lower then mitchell, i.e. the crossover from C/NCO to C/SNCO. I bet, if one were to work with their state director, and get the curriculum right, you could design those airman and NCO leadership schools so that completion of both would satisfy the regulatory requirements of an encampment.

Hmm....

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

TEAM SURGE

Don't try to do everything for everyone. let the cadets learn for themselves.
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

CadetProgramGuy

As Senior Staff, before you come to encampment, find out which of your cadets are ready for promotion.  Let them have it at encampment IF the paperwork is completed prior to arriving.

I have seen several cadets get promoted this way.

DC

Quote from: TEAM SURGE on July 07, 2008, 04:11:08 AM
Huh? Some cadets will learn stuff on their own easily, but others have to be shown everything multiple times, and have their hand held all week. If you just abandon your cadets on the assumption that they will get it, you're wrong. You have to be flexible, and adapt to and with your cadets if you want to do a good job.

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: DC on July 07, 2008, 10:58:34 AM
Huh? Some cadets will learn stuff on their own easily, but others have to be shown everything multiple times, and have their hand held all week. If you just abandon your cadets on the assumption that they will get it, you're wrong. You have to be flexible, and adapt to and with your cadets if you want to do a good job.

What I meant is, we had a cadet who knew how to do hospital corners. While I was working on my corner she ran over ripped the corner out and did it her way. She worked at a hospital so she was good. My point is it took me longer to learn how to that then it should have!
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

DC

Quote from: TEAM SURGE on July 07, 2008, 10:54:35 PM

What I meant is, we had a cadet who knew how to do hospital corners. While I was working on my corner she ran over ripped the corner out and did it her way. She worked at a hospital so she was good. My point is it took me longer to learn how to that then it should have!
Okay, I understand what you are trying to say.

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: DC on July 08, 2008, 05:36:51 AM
Quote from: TEAM SURGE on July 07, 2008, 10:54:35 PM

Okay, I understand what you are trying to say.

I kinda warded it wrong from the beginning....
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

IceNine

Move with a purpose.

Make a buddy and help each other out, with uniforms, bunks, motivation, and everything else.

When you and your buddy are inspection ready help others, remember at most encampments inspection results are tallied both individually and as a flight so if one cadet gets a 0 and you get a 100 your flight only gets 50... Moral, don't take too much time searching for perfection.  Spend more time trying for a great score as a team.

Listen, think, speak.  Always in that order.

CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF, Put your name on EVERYTHING, Keep track of your stuff.

Again, no one expects perfection.  When I am looking at cadets for honors I am looking for well rounded cadets.  Usually the ones that obsess over their bunks don't learn the OI, and those that memorize the OI, can't march, and so on.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: IceNine on July 08, 2008, 11:39:11 PM
Move with a purpose.

Make a buddy and help each other out, with uniforms, bunks, motivation, and everything else.

When you and your buddy are inspection ready help others, remember at most encampments inspection results are tallied both individually and as a flight so if one cadet gets a 0 and you get a 100 your flight only gets 50... Moral, don't take too much time searching for perfection.  Spend more time trying for a great score as a team.

Listen, think, speak.  Always in that order.

CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF, Put your name on EVERYTHING, Keep track of your stuff.

Again, no one expects perfection.  When I am looking at cadets for honors I am looking for well rounded cadets.  Usually the ones that obsess over their bunks don't learn the OI, and those that memorize the OI, can't march, and so on.

PUT YOUR NAME ON EVERYTHING!!!! AWWWW!

I wish I would have taken that seriously.

One of the cadets in our flight took my blues cover and wore it during the pass and review! I freaked out because I didn't have my cover. He came to me right after pass in review and says heres your cover. I was soo frustrated!
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

addo1

Learn to wake up early!  Really, all you need to do, is to pay attention, listen, and do what you are told, and you will do great.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

mikeylikey

Quote from: TEAM SURGE on July 09, 2008, 09:58:37 PM
One of the cadets in our flight took my blues cover and wore it during the pass and review! I freaked out because I didn't have my cover. He came to me right after pass in review and says heres your cover. I was soo frustrated!

That would have been a reason for that cadet to receive a 2b.  I can't stand stealing, and I can't stand people that allow it to happen.
What's up monkeys?

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 09, 2008, 10:04:00 PM

That would have been a reason for that cadet to receive a 2b.  I can't stand stealing, and I can't stand people that allow it to happen.

2b? I know exactly how you feel!
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

JC004

So this cadet was basically like "I know you needed this, but I needed one too, so I took it"??

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: JC004 on July 09, 2008, 10:19:02 PM

So this cadet was basically like "I know you needed this, but I needed one too, so I took it"??

Pretty much!
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

mikeylikey

Quote from: TEAM SURGE on July 09, 2008, 10:22:17 PM
Quote from: JC004 on July 09, 2008, 10:19:02 PM

Pretty much!

If that is how the game is played, then I would have taken a pair of scissors and turned his blues into little pieces of blues.  And added "I needed a rag, thanks". 
What's up monkeys?