Main Menu

Encampment Food

Started by Dutchboy, February 08, 2006, 06:19:58 PM

C/Ssgt Mailloux

Florida wing encampment 09 summer.

Great Food!
Not much time to eat, but still...

best was 3 pancakes, 2 strips of bacon and eggs for breakfast.

Then again were catered for all of our meals. Country caterers.
C/SrA Mailloux.
Alpha Flight Element Leader.
SER-FL-040 Wildcards.

Airrace

Hands down would have to be any encampment on a Navy base or Coast Guard station.

swamprat86

Quote from: ZigZag911 on June 01, 2009, 03:43:28 AM
Back in the 80s NJW had it's own field mess, run by a squadron CC who had been an Army cook....most of the meals were pretty good. His primary helpers were his Group CC & the wing CV...which raised some interesting expressions for when personnel from McGuire AFB and Fort Dix dropped by for coffee and found three lt cols running a field kitchen!

Ah, the Group 221 Field Mess - "Death from Within".  I do miss those meals, especially SOS Wednesday.

Strick

2004 FLWG summer encampment at Camp Blanding was the worst food I tasted at a encampment.  I loved being Commandant of Cadets because I was able to break away and go get BK.  I did not eat it in front of the cadets.  My truck was a mess.  The best food I ate was at MGHEE TYSON ANG BASE while attending RSC.  I am going to NSC at Maxwell amd I hope the fod is good.
[darn]atio memoriae

Eclipse

Quote from: Strick on August 05, 2009, 04:33:06 PM
2004 FLWG summer encampment at Camp Blanding was the worst food I tasted at a encampment.  I loved being Commandant of Cadets because I was able to break away and go get BK. 

There is so much wrong with that sentence I don't know where to start.

As Commandant, the cadet experience is basically your #1, and only, job - if the food was bad, you should have been taking steps to correct it, but regardless, sneaking off to get your own is not cricket.

If it's good enough for the cadets, it's good enough for all the staff.  If its not, no one should be eating it.

"That Others May Zoom"

Rotorhead

Quote from: Eclipse on August 05, 2009, 04:39:21 PM
2004 FLWG summer encampment at Camp Blanding was the worst food I tasted at a encampment.  I loved being Commandant of Cadets because I was able to break away and go get BK. 

There is so much wrong with that sentence I don't know where to start.

As Commandant, the cadet experience is basically your #1, and only, job - if the food was bad, you should have been taking steps to correct it, but regardless, sneaking off to get your own is not cricket.

If it's good enough for the cadets, it's good enough for all the staff.  If its not, no one should be eating it.

I have to agree--what are you doing allowing food you wouldn't eat to be served to your cadets?

Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

Strick

Because I CHUCKED up a few times eating it!.  It was full of grease   I complained to the Encampment commander, however he basicaly said deal with it.  I  In my situation I cant afford not to skip meals so my health and safety is number 1.  The medication I take requires food I am no good to any person if I am in the ICU :(.   
[darn]atio memoriae

BrianH76

For the 2009 TNWG Encampment, cadets and staff ate at the dining facility for the Replacement Company at Fort Campbell, KY.  It was absolutely outstanding and the staff were terrific. 

The dining facility was small and looked a little worn, but the food was great. 

addo1

My basic encampment in 2007 had outstanding food. The most recent one though... not so much. That would be the difference of "home cooked" and "yearly cooked."
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

Strick

I wonder how many wings provide the cooks at encampment?.  I know in the past that FLWG had to provide the cooks due to the guard base not having mess staff present.  That the only down side to guard bases.
[darn]atio memoriae

addo1

My basic in 2007 was at Camp Swift in Bastrop, TX. We provided the cooks and the food was MUCH better than it was at my last one using their staff. Sorta funny how that works.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

CAPC/officer125

I don't think I have had bad food at an encampment. The best I have had was at the dining out we had at the end of NCRE2007. We had prime rib for that and it was great. The food that entire week was great. Another good meal was the graduation dinner at COS this year. That was really good (especially the ranch). What surprised me is that they didn't serve sweet tea at this meal. And we were down south.
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

notaNCO forever

Quote from: C/Command125 on August 05, 2009, 07:50:16 PM
I don't think I have had bad food at an encampment. The best I have had was at the dining out we had at the end of NCRE2007. We had prime rib for that and it was great. The food that entire week was great. Another good meal was the graduation dinner at COS this year. That was really good (especially the ranch). What surprised me is that they didn't serve sweet tea at this meal. And we were down south.

You didn't have sweet tee at your table? Mine did, at least the second time, the first pitcher wasn't sweetened but the second one was at my table. I have to agree the dinner was good. The food through the week was decent to.

BillB

The 2004 Florida Wing Encampment had food trucked over from the Main Dining facility. But the food at the facility iyself was much better than served to CAP.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Dad2-4

If I remember correctly, 2003 TXWG Winter Encampment at Fort Bullis, TX. MREs for most lunches, and running out of food more than once for breakfast and/or dinner, meaning SM staff having to eat what they could scrounge up for us. PPPPPP, IMHO.

PHall

Quote from: Strick on August 05, 2009, 07:40:34 PM
I wonder how many wings provide the cooks at encampment?.  I know in the past that FLWG had to provide the cooks due to the guard base not having mess staff present.  That the only down side to guard bases.

California Wing provides their own cooks every year, what's the problem?

And we use a Guard Base - Camp San Luis Obispo, California.

Gunner C

I am going to NSC at Maxwell amd I hope the fod is good.
Man!  NSC is getting tough!  You guys have to eat FOD?  I always hated FOD walks, and now it's combined with breakfast?  ;D

PHall

Quote from: Gunner C on August 25, 2009, 04:21:00 AM
Man!  NSC is getting tough!  You guys have to eat FOD?  I always hated FOD walks, and now it's combined with breakfast?  ;D

Fiber man, you gotta get your fiber!

Chappie

The River Front Inn is where most students eat during the week....typical base menu/prices.   The Officers Club is down the street and around the corner from billeting...the Golf Course does have a nice breakfast/sandwiches.  If you have transportation, there is a food court in the base mall.  A bit of a hike from the classrooms/billeting.  On Saturday evening, you will go off base with your seminar group for a dinner.  A fun way to get better acquianted.  There is a social on Sunday evening -- usually sandwiches.  On either Tuesday or Wednesday evening there is social at Hooper's Lodge.  Then on Friday evening, there is the banquet.  Of course, there's the shoppette and, if you have military id or know someone, there is the commissary to purchase food and keep in your room.  Every room has a fridge/micro.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

C/MSgt. White

Every meal from Cascade Falcon 14 (WAWG Summer Encampment) was an amazing one. Particularly the Evergreen dining facility in McChord AFB but I remember looking forward every day to 2 pieces of toast with butter and jam. it helped the sore throat. :)
Derek White, C/MSgt. CAP
PCR-WA-015