Does New York Wing Encampment have a gym/weight room?

Started by Watertrap1, July 05, 2015, 06:27:42 AM

Watertrap1

I'll be attending during football training and I really want to keep myself up and ready to go while I'm away. I remember seeing somewhere that there tends to be "free time" after all the tasks have been completed, so that would be the perfect time to train.
C/TSgt Matthew Pinna
New York Wing

Brad

Considering that it's on an ANG base, any "gym/weight room" is likely listed as one of the prohibited areas on the base outside of the actual encampment barracks / classroom area and other authorized areas.

Additionally, while there is free time, most of that will likely be devoted to reviewing coursework earlier that day, getting your uniforms and barracks ready for inspection, personal hygiene, and getting to know your fellow Cadets. The thought of going off on your own to lift weights in the gym with a bunch of Air Force guys should honestly be very low on your list that week, not to mention it drifts into realms of Cadet Protection and Safety with regards to Cadet supervision, the unknown factor of the unscreened AF members, ORM, etc. You're there for encampment with CAP, that should be your priority, not figuring out how to moonlight your football training.

Furthermore, if the PT is handled correctly you should get a good workout during that week and I highly doubt your performance will be negatively impacted.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

CAPs1

You will receive a letter from your Flight Sergeant, shortly before the encampment start date of 18 July.
That should be the person you contact for this.

Gym, however, even if available, is off limits to encampment folks. Prepping a calisthenics workout should be in your plans.

dwb

There is a gym at Stratton ANGB, but CAP has never been given permission to use it (we haven't asked to my knowledge, but generally non-encampment buildings are off limits).

There is not enough "free time" during encampment to work out. Pretty much your entire day is planned out, except for a short period to shower and prepare your bunk.

You will get some light cardio during morning PT and you'll do lots of walking, but your weightlifting program will stagnate for the one week you're at encampment.

TheSkyHornet

As said before, it won't happen. This isn't a hotel experience where you roam around and explore and get that morning workout at the gym in on your own time. It's training mixed with socializing/networking.

The motivation is great that you want to keep up for athletics outside of CAP, but encampment is not the place to worry about that. You'll live for a week without an actual gym. And if the PT is structured and ran properly, you'll get your workouts in.