Main Menu

MKS buisness

Started by volunteer_server, May 19, 2013, 09:16:15 PM

volunteer_server

Is anyone looking to go to MKS buisness academy

BFreemanMA

I'm not sure what that is. Is that a regional thing?
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer
Westover Composite Squadron

a2capt

It's an NCSA:
July 5-14, 2013, McMinnville, OR
QuoteThe Michael King Smith Aviation Business Academy provides a up-close look into the workings of Evergreen Aviation's worldwide operations including: a cargo airline, ground logistics and support, helicopter operations, purchase and sale of aircraft, agriculture and museum operations. 

Attendees will have an opportunity to see how business decisions are made, worldwide operations are controlled, and details about the private aviation business.  Aviation business planning, heavy aircraft maintenance, helicopter operations will be part of the academy.  The course will be held in McMinnville Oregon at the Evergreen Aviation Museum, the home of the "Spruce Goose."  Attendees will have a leg up if they wish to enter the aviation workforce.
Interested in aviation? That's one field where double checking your work is very important. Even spelling.

Critical AOA

Quote from: a2capt on May 20, 2013, 04:51:39 PM
Interested in aviation? That's one field where double checking your work is very important. Even spelling.

You would think so but having personally read tens of thousands of logbook entries, non-routine cards and even preprinted task cards over the years; I have come to a conclusion that spelling is not high on the list of skills that maintenance personnel or aviation personnel in general hold dear.   
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Leading_Edge

I saw this discussion on here and I thought I would throw in my two cents in....I have been to 4 NCSAs and 3 of them were at MKS. I will say that this activity isn't for everyone...I don't mean this in the way of something like Hawk Mountain some might not meet physical requirements, I mean this in the way that you have to go to MKS with the intention that you are going to be learning business practices for the whole week. Personally, I loved all three of my years at the academy. There is nothing like being able to sit in business meetings where they are talking about aircraft operations around world, or the finance meetings where they are talking about the multimillion dollar contracts with companies worldwide. You seriously learn a ton about what it takes to run an airline from the people actually doing the work. In addition to this, you are given as a cadet almost unlimited access to both the Evergreen Aviation Museum (home of the Spruce Goose which is amazing to see itself!) and the Evergreen Space Museum, which is where several of the classes are conducted. Oh and by the way, the classroom is conveniently located right above an SR-71. I have been to several museums and these are some of the best you can find. Not to mention that Evergreen recently built an awesome water park where you can literally slide down a 5 story slide from the midsection of a Boeing 747-200...and yes when I was there, we went for free. But MKS as a whole was an amazing experience, you aren't learning in the classroom from some person who doesn't know what they are talking about, you are learning from folks who are ACTUALLY in the industry. As far as I am concerned, there is no other school out there where a 15 year old kid can learn and interact with a vice president of a multimillion dollar company. Keep in mid though too, this academy teaches you general business practices as well, not only those related to aviation. If you have ever thought about doing something business related in your life, this academy will definitely teach you a lot. It is an experience that has helped me out tremendously both in both employment and in my schooling (it looks great on a resume!). Let me know if you all have any further questions.

cpuckett

I almost went this summer but I didn't because my parents made me pick between MKS and AFSC-FC. Anyway, I'm trying to decide what NCSAs to apply for next summer. So it's not totally aviation stuff all the time? I'm not really aerospace-minded and it's hard to find NCSAs that are not just geared toward those kinds if people. Do you need to have a strong background in aerospace to understand what they are talking about? What was your favorite part of the activity?

Thanks