Main Menu

encampment showers

Started by CCAlex, July 08, 2010, 07:16:25 PM

CCAlex

Does anyone know if camp pendleton has decent showers? I am going to encampment and don't know what to do for showers. Please help!

Stonewall

1. Bring soap.
2. Bring a towel.
3. Bring shower shoes (flip flops)
4. Turn water on.
5. Stand under it.
6. Apply soap.
7. Rinse it off.
8. Turn water off.
9. Dry off.

*If you have enough hair, add shampoo to the list.
Serving since 1987.

MIKE

I'd  bring a bathing suit and shower shoes regardless.
Mike Johnston

a2capt

Last time I was at Camp Talega, the showers were communal in one of the Quonset huts, there are several sets.

http://www.cpp.usmc.mil/base/dpc/about%20talega.asp

Camp Talega was used extensively during the filming of Heartbreak Ridge, although the Marines, after seeing the work print, purportedly withdrew their support/association with it.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: MIKE on July 08, 2010, 07:34:23 PM

Hmm, why would they need a bathing suit for going into a shower?  Should have a towel BUT it isn't like they aren't walking outside to take a shower. just walking in the dorm/barracks to the showers.

Surely in gym in high school they are taking communial showers anyways, or are we now paying for individual showers with doors etc??
RM

PHall

The cadets will be wearing their PT gear to and from the shower/latrine huts.

Shower shoes are recommended if you don't want to get athlete's foot.

PHall

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on July 09, 2010, 12:28:40 AM

Hmm, why would they need a bathing suit for going into a shower?  Should have a towel BUT it isn't like they aren't walking outside to take a shower. just walking in the dorm/barracks to the showers.

Surely in gym in high school they are taking communial showers anyways, or are we now paying for individual showers with doors etc??
RM

They are walking outside. The shower/latrine huts are separate from the Quonset huts they're staying in.

LtCol057

Dang, that's the way it was when I was on AD for Basic in 1979.  Sounds like military is as far behind the times as CAP is.

Eclipse

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on July 09, 2010, 12:28:40 AM

Actually, its probably 50/50 - we encounter this every year and I have been repeatedly told that many high schools use their showers for storage due to actual and potential locker-room type "issues".  Such are the times in which we live.

We also get at least one or two cadets every year who ask or try to take a shower in their bathing suit.

The Navy preaches and teaches water-conserving 3-minute showers.

1st minute - water on, get whole body wet.

2nd minute - water off, lather up whole body.

3rd minute - water on, rinse off, get out.

Its actually a very efficient, quick way to get clean...

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Yeah, I failed to mention that the shower/latrines are indeed separate units, at the ends of the rows. 

It's a bit old, but considering the history behind it, it's quite well kept up. Pretty cool. :)

SarDragon

Actually, I remember that now from Heartbreak Ridge.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

CCAlex

Actually what I am going at is that I am not used to communial  showers.

SarDragon

Quote from: CCAlex on July 09, 2010, 07:05:45 PM
Actually what I am going at is that I am not used to communial  showers.

Well, here's your opportunity. I got my introduction at 11 when I started gym classes in Jr HS.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MIKE

Quote from: PHall on July 09, 2010, 01:07:41 AMThe cadets will be wearing their PT gear to and from the shower/latrine huts.

Shower shoes are recommended if you don't want to get athlete's foot.

So is it policy that cadets be uniformed in "Initial Issue" in the Rain Room, or would a bathing suit be permitted for modesty?
Mike Johnston

a2capt

Well, there is the part about .. when in Rome, do like the Romans do.

I've done it, there, at Camp Talega - I'm still here ;-)

Kerrbie

I can't see a bathing suite being permitted, I'm not sure what the showers are like here but at my encampment we had open bay showers six people to a room( depending on how big you were) and staff standing around watching. Your in and your out. This goes for pt wear too until it's like freezing if they are walking outside to the showers. I would be prepaird and bring one just in case. But I would assume wrapping your towel around you too and from. Maybe get to change into clothes there ??
C/2nd Lt Katheryn Kerr, CAP
Cadet Deputy Commander, Group 2
Carroll Composite Squadron, MD Wing, MER

AirAux

Most of the males cadets have been wearing bathing suits in the showers lately.  I thought it was weird until I found out about senior members being suspended for weirder things at encampment.  Privacy is privacy and cadets are entitled to same.  There is a large difference in equipment between 12 year olds and 17 year olds..  We are not there to make anyone feel uncomfortable..

Eclipse

^ We are there to insure they maintain good hygiene.  You simply answer they question unequviocably "no" and somehow they survive.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Let's think about it this way... Who really wants to tell c/Snuffy that he HAS to take off his bathing suit in the shower, ensure compliance, then deal with his parents later? Not I... 

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on July 10, 2010, 12:50:09 PM
Let's think about it this way... Who really wants to tell c/Snuffy that he HAS to take off his bathing suit in the shower, ensure compliance, then deal with his parents later? Not I...

Want to?  No.

Need to?  Yes - uncomfortable conversations come with the cool business cards.

"That Others May Zoom"