Main Menu

Blue berets questions

Started by fightingfalcon, March 08, 2010, 02:55:43 AM

fightingfalcon

How do you become a blue beret? Where would I get more information?
Cadet airman

Spaceman3750

You can find info at http://ncsas.com/index.cfm/blue_beret?show=career_fair&careerFairID=18 , though I believe cadet officers are preferred? At least they were WIWAC.

AirAux

Officer rank not required, but there is an age requirement.

Cms.sloane

What are the blue berets and what do they do?

CadetProgramGuy

Direct answer:

1. Attend a basic encampment
2. Next year on the NCSA application on eServices, you can apply for National Blue Beret
3. While you are there, you have the ability to earn the Beret
4. Good Luck.

edit:  More info added....

The Berets 'work' the EAA Airventure airshow for approximatly 2 weeks.  You arrive several days in advance, train, then become operational just before the airshow begins.  You will hunt ELT's, park aircraft, provide overwatch of aircraft, and log in tail numbers as aircraft land (3 at a time).

The above link provides alot of information.

The emphasis on ES will be those that have training in GEN ES, aircraft marshalling, and GTM.  There are alot of needs outside of the ES arena though.  Comms, Medics, TACO's just to name a few.

Nathan

Another answer that may or may not fully answer your question. The grads from NBB don't do anything different at their regular units that those who haven't been. Having a beret does not allow one to do different jobs or have different responsibilities than other members. The beret is debatably only worn at the activity.

Your question seemed to imply that you may have though NBB grads were different than other members because they have the beret. If not, ignore me. :)
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

davidsinn

Quote from: Nathan on March 31, 2010, 06:57:14 PM
The beret is debatably only worn at the activity.

I though Gen. Courter sent an ICL explicitly authorizing NBB berets everywhere? It's the INWG GT berets that cause heartburn as it's a gray area with good support on both sides of the argument.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

lordmonar

INWG CC can authorise distinctive head gear for special teams WITHING HIS wing.

NVWG did that for a while and we are looking into starting it again.

And yes the NB did authorise NBB berets for wear with BDUs through out the nation.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

davidsinn

Quote from: lordmonar on March 31, 2010, 09:19:48 PM

Yes and the supplement  states that they can not be worn outside the wing nor at NESA even though that is in Indiana.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

lordmonar

Quote from: davidsinn on March 31, 2010, 11:49:04 PM

Yes and the supplement  states that they can not be worn outside the wing nor at NESA even though that is in Indiana.
So...no gray area.

NESA is a NATIONAL activity even if it is conducted within the confines of the state of Indiana.

davidsinn

Quote from: lordmonar on April 01, 2010, 12:59:17 AM
Quote from: davidsinn on March 31, 2010, 11:49:04 PM

So...no gray area.

NESA is a NATIONAL activity even if it is conducted within the confines of the state of Indiana.

Correct. The gray area is the Wing CCs power to actually allow them at all. I can see the argument that he can't but I agree with the argument that he can. This was brought up over a year ago when a poor cadet from my wing got dogpiled on because he asked a question about them.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Stonewall

Quote from: fightingfalcon on March 08, 2010, 02:55:43 AM
How do you become a blue beret?

First, wool must come from an animal that grows it; sheep being the most popular, but also lama, alpaca and other mammals. The beret is made of a soft 100% wool with a visorless, round shape.  Before the wool is shaped, it is dyed to a specific color.  In this case, "blue" would be added to create a "blue beret".  The hat is usually 11" diameter and is dry clean only.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

I believe it is actually Indigo, which is more to the purple spectrum than pure blue, but looks blue/black to the human eye...

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Could that possibly make the wearer a "kool mama llama"?  >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JC004

It is interesting that 39-1 doesn't list berets in the list of items that may be authorized by the wing commander, but does have a box below it that only says:

QuoteOnly blue berets may be authorized for special purpose wear. Berets provided
at special activities may be worn at the activity ONLY.

It doesn't say was "special purpose wear" is, nor does it say that the "special activities" are the only case in which berets may be authorized.  If I were a wing commander, other than not seeing any real reason for authorizing berets, I wouldn't touch this.

Nathan

Quote from: JC004 on April 01, 2010, 03:39:13 AM
It is interesting that 39-1 doesn't list berets in the list of items that may be authorized by the wing commander, but does have a box below it that only says:

QuoteOnly blue berets may be authorized for special purpose wear. Berets provided
at special activities may be worn at the activity ONLY.

It doesn't say was "special purpose wear" is, nor does it say that the "special activities" are the only case in which berets may be authorized.  If I were a wing commander, other than not seeing any real reason for authorizing berets, I wouldn't touch this.

Apparently, this isn't reflective of whatever Maj Gen Courter released.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

lordmonar

One of the dangers of quoting out of context.

Read the entire table.

Quote from: TitleTable 1-3. Additional Items That May Be Authorized by the Wing/Region Commander

Quote from: Line 1 GeneralWing/region commanders may authorize certain items to be worn for specific purposes within their respective wing/region or within specific units of their wing/region. Commanders will not use this authority to circumvent National polices. Examples of purposes of these items are to identify members of special CAP groups such as drill teams, bands, color guards, and members participating in emergency services' missions.

Quote from: Line 2 Where and When WornIn all cases, these items will have no national significance or recognition as a
part of the CAP uniform. They will not be worn at summer encampments or national events (cadet exchange, special activities, etc.), unless specifically authorized by National Headquarters. They may be worn only while
performing the duty for which the use of the items was authorized. Wing/region approved items will be worn only within the boundaries of the authorizing commander.

Quote from: Line 3 Items that may be authorisedThe wing/region commander has authority to approve the following items for wear within his/her wing: (a) Shoulder cords. Not more than one shoulder cord will be worn at one time, and it will be worn on the left shoulder (see Figure 5-2). Color to be determined by the wing commander, EXCEPT all primary members of Cadet Advisory Councils will wear gold at the National level, blue at region level, and red at wing level. (See CAPR 52-16, CAP Cadet Program Management.) National Cadet Competition teams will wear white shoulder cords. Honor Guardsmen will wear silver shoulder cords; (b) scarves; (c) white gloves; (d) white and black belts; (e) helmet liners. Color to be determined by wing commander except that helmet liners authorized for wear by members participating in emergency services missions will be white and will be worn with the decal depicted in Figure 6-20.

Quote from: Line 4 BeretsOnly blue berets may be authorized for special purpose wear. Berets provided at special activities may be worn at the activity ONLY.

Okay.....typically this a another confusing 39-1 reg.

Line 1 clearly identified ES teams as a specail group.

Line 4 clearly identifies the beret as an item the wing/region commander can authorise.

Neither of which has anything to do with NBB beret and the NB's decision to allow them to wear it away from the activity.

You can't use Line 1 to circumvent national policy.  National policy on the NBB was set years ago.

I will say that Line 3 muddles the whole thing...but I think that was laziness on someones part as opposed to an intention to not allow wing commanders to approve berets.

Eclipse

Thankfully, local unit and activity commanders can just say "no to pancake hats" and move on...

"That Others May Zoom"

NBB0058

my largest complaint with anyone "quoting regs" is that half of the regs we have now are out dated and have had so many "updates" and "changes" that they should really just wewrite the things every few years, i mean we had the "CSU" for what? 5 years? but that was an "update" to the regs, just as this 2006 national board decision for the wear of blue beret and hawk mountain items to be worn with blue and green BDUs is an "update" to the regs, correct me if Iam wrong, but i dont believe the "march 23 2005" issue of "uniforms weekly" (aka 39-1) has any further statements on "the blue beret" other than the little quote "line 4" or somehting about "to be worn only at activities" yadda yadda yadda...the debates will go on until we just recognize the members who attend "NBB" to wear the beret they have earned with any uniform, instead of allowing these unknowing squadron commanders who have been informed by their cadets that "all color guard teams are REQUIRED to wear an un-formed blue bet with the CAP cutout in the center of the flash" for the members who have not been that wish to wear the beret, its too bad, the beret is earned not bought, those that have not attended can not know the true connection nd dedication that is required for the beret.
Anyways, there are multiple thought processes behind the wear of the beret:
1.we earn the model rocketry badge and wear that on both the service uniform and BDU uniform(if one chooses)
2."in the military, they wear berets with both uniforms and such."
3.you wear your rank on both uniforms, correct,?and you wear it proudly , correct?
   what makes the beret any different? if you have earned it you should be able to wear it proudly to show your achievement, not shun it and toss it in the closet when its time to play dress up.

Quite frankly im disgusted with the treatment of the blue beret recipients, i mean according to regs, in the dres suniform there is no defining insignia of a blue beret, but theres always a way to tell the ground team, model rocketry, pilot,IACE<etc. people, i think its sad conssidering that the NBB encampment is one of the largest civilian interactions Civil Air Patrol has. Now of course i dont mean we dont do more search and rescue, etc. but for one activity, i dont believe there is a larger "audience" of civilians.
anyways, you all have heard my rant, please feel free to comment :)

Eclipse

NBB is a single activity - no different than any NCSA, it confers no special rating or ability in its members beyond "BTDT", therefore why it should allow for the wear of a special hat, one that sets the wearer up as "special" and breaks the uniformity of ranks is beyond me and many other members.  The undeserved arrogance the beret engenders in some members, especially younger cadets is the primary reason most experienced commanders prefer they be left at home.

The other issue is that a large number of those who do wear it outside NBB;

...wear it incorrectly (by size, shape, or how it's sitting on their head)

...wear it with an inappropriate flash (i.e. anything other than the St, Alban's Cross)

...wear it inappropriately (i.e. in the field, with service dress)

...argue with unit and activity commanders who tell then not to wear it in a given circumstance.

"That Others May Zoom"