Headset for Christmas

Started by Pylon, December 10, 2005, 11:28:18 PM

Pylon

I'm looking to get a headset for myself for Christmas.  ;D  I'm looking to finish my training for my private pilot's license (which I put on hold about 4 or 5 years ago).  I've got my CFI and whatnot all squared away, but I'm tired of using borrowed headsets... so, I'm looking for a good set for Christmas.  Besides, as a Mission Scanner & Observer, it won't hurt to have my own headset, either.

I know the prices run the gamut, with all sorts of things from the cheapo-depot sets with nothing more than a mic and some styrofoam around the ears, to crazy noise cancellation technology with Dr. Scholl's gel around the ears, and gold plated connectors.

I'm looking for something that's a good compromise between quality and price.  I'm looking for a headset that isn't über expensive, nor cheaper than dirt but is of enough quality that it won't bother me in flight from uncomfortability, low quality sound, or lots of noise.

Any suggestions from you pilot types out there?  :)   Many thanks...
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

Quote from: Pylon on December 10, 2005, 11:28:18 PM
Any suggestions from you pilot types out there?  :)   Many thanks...

My uncle will be upset with you if you don't buy David Clark.
Mike Johnston

Pylon

Okay, this is going to seem like a stupid question, but what is the essential differences between noise-attenuating headsets and ones with Electronic Noise Cancellation or ENC?

???

SarDragon

Quote from: Pylon on December 11, 2005, 04:03:43 AM
Okay, this is going to seem like a stupid question, but what is the essential differences between noise-attenuating headsets and ones with Electronic Noise Cancellation or ENC?

???
Not a stupid question.

Noise attenuating headsets are just like putting your fingers or those little yellow earplugs in your ears - they reduce the level of the sound and nothing more. It is a totally passive process.

ENC or ANC headsets do a little electronic magic and subtract the noise outside the headset from the sound inside the headset, leaving just the audio from the radios or intercom. It is an active process. (My explanation is pretty simplified, but covers the basics.)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

flyguy06

Goodluck on your PPL Pylon. You will definantly enjoy the priviledge that comes with flight.

Dan

1st Lt. Kieloch:

I bought a set of Telex Echelon 100's. They cost $150.00. My flight instructor suggested those as a good compromise between quality and price.
Dan Bilitz, Capt, CAP
Aerospace Education Officer
WI-057 Col. R.C. Jaye Mem. Comp. Sqdn.

Cmdbuddy

I promise you that if you put out a few dollars more and get the noise cancelling ones, you will never regret it and you'll be thanking me later.

My dad's flown for thirty something years and started flying with no headset on at all.  The constant whining of the engine has caused him to lose a lot of his hearing.  Now, we have Bose installed, and they are unbelievable.  Not saying you should get Bose, just bragging on them for a minute.

I personally have a noise cancelling set that isn't nearly as much money as the Bose, but they work great.  You just have to remember to charge them :-)  Unfortunately, they're 450 miles away right now, so I can't tell you what brand they are or anything.

Oh yea, and don't forget to check ebay for some good deals!
Christie Ducote, Capt, CAP

Chris Jacobs

When i bought my headsets i didn't get extremely nice ones.  I am happy that i did this because i don't use them very much.  I though i would use them more but i found that i would fly gliders more often.  Although when i do need them i sometimes wish that i had some ones that felt better (the padding on the top is kinda hard).  Although i do like how they felt to my back pocket.  Over all though they are good headsets for how much i use them.  they are PCA-4T they are a good price to.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

MustangCadet

I got a really good one for 60 bucks on ebay never before used its really good
C/CMSgt Anthony Gallozzi
Mustang Cadet Squadron
RMR-CO-148
HGA White Hat '07

Pylon

Quote from: MustangCadet on January 01, 2006, 10:10:36 PM
I got a really good one for 60 bucks on ebay never before used its really good

What brand and model is it?

(As you can see, I still haven't bought one.  But a $200 gift certificate to Sporty's for Christmas sweetened the deal and is going to make choosing one much more fun!   ;)  )

Chris Jacobs

$200 makes a lot of things more fun.  Especially when you have to use it on sportys.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

Pylon

So, I forgot I had this gift certificate for sometime and just found it last month.  Finally got off my butt and ordered the Sigtronics S-20 and a bunch of other goodies from Sporty's.  Man, you could so easily spend a fortune in that store!

...so that only took me the better part of a year to buy one.  Hah!

Al Sayre

If they don't come with a good bag, go ahead and pony up the extra bucks to get one, it'll make them last much longer, and gives you a good place to store all your flying related gizmo's and gadgets.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Pylon

Quote from: Al Sayre on October 31, 2006, 02:50:15 PM
If they don't come with a good bag, go ahead and pony up the extra bucks to get one, it'll make them last much longer, and gives you a good place to store all your flying related gizmo's and gadgets.

What should I look for in a good flight bag?  Anything in particular or will just about anything do?

Al Sayre

I'd recommend either leather or Cordura, small enough to fit on the front seat, a place to hold 2 or 3 charts Forlded, pens, a couple of flashlights (1 big, 1 small) your handheld vhf (gotta have one of those) a plotter, E6B, logbook, kneeboard, and a water bottle in addition to your headset.  Sportys has several good ones to choose from, but the bigger ones are useless if all your stuff is in the back of the plane when you need it.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

bosshawk

Headsets are a lot like lawyers: ask 20 people and you will get at least 21 replies.    I have been flying longer than a lot of you guys have been logging ZZZZZZZZZs, so have a preference.

I have owned two sets of Peltor 7004s for over 15 years and they have been flawless.  They lounge in my flight bag or in my Bonanza, so no bags.  That said, they are not Noise Cancelling.  About 4 years ago, I bought a Lightspeed 25XL Noise Cancelling set and it has been fine.  My only gripe is that it sometimes takes some screwing around to get it fitted correctly.  Batteries last an incredible amount of time and the silence is golden.  If you want to spend slightly over $200, the Peltor is a no-brainer.  If your budge allows $400-500, a Noise Cancelling headset is the way to go.  If you have a spare grand, the Bose is beyond imagination.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Pylon

Quote from: bosshawk@sti.net on November 01, 2006, 01:17:07 AM
If you have a spare grand, the Bose is beyond imagination.

I hear that so often!  I figure I may treat myself to a Bose set if I ever get my instrument rating.... maybe.  For now, the basic Sigtronics will serve me well for Scanner/Observer missions and getting my PPL.   :D

RocketPropelled

I found a Bose X at a pawn shop, worked fine -- made a ridiculous lowball offer, just to see what would happen.

Sold, in cash, on the spot, for SIGNIFICANTLY less than list, or even eBay, prices.

Wasn't even shopping for a headset, just saw it in the case with your average audio headphones for home stereos. 

Picked up a David Clark headset from a buddy who had upgraded to the Bose himself, again, on the cheap. Keep your head on a swivel, and you can find bargains.

As far as a flight bag, I recommend any of the bags from Zuluworks -- they had a half-off sale around Father's Day, and that made the bags VERY reasonable. I bought a couple (the Gazelle and the Topi shoulder bag, which makes a GREAT laptop case too) back in June.

mawr

Careful shopping will serve you well.  They don't let me in a plane often but I've managed to maintain my Observer quals.  I finally sprung last year for a private labeled Light Speed headset.  Since I'm a comm guy, I also got a PTT adapter so that I can use them in the comm room as well.  Ebay....plus shipping and adapter....$115 total.

No, they're not noise cancelling but they serve my purposes.

Rick Hasha, Lt Col CAP