Main Menu

Non-uniform apparel

Started by tjaxe, January 06, 2008, 08:36:22 PM

tjaxe

Pylon had an awesome "to accomplish list for CAP" in the "Vision 2008" thread.  In addition to the PR items he listed I suggested maybe branded non-uniform apparel could help with PR / advertising.

As Lancer pointed out in that same thread, some non-uniform apparel items are available from Vanguard; short-sleeve oxfords, ball caps, and a couple of other items.  However, in my humble, new member opinion I believe the selection should not only be expanded but also heavily promoted within CAP.  The benefits of selling this apparel, and heavily promoting it include:

• Possible income from sales
  • Increased CAP visibility to the public at large

I believe the apparel should also contain clear wording, such as "Civil Air Patrol," rather than a logo which might not be as clearly identifiable as words.

The picture below gives some ROUGH ideas for some possible items.  The color, style, etc. are just examples.  It's more the concept I'm illustrating below rather than finalized items.

What do you think?  Is this a good or bad idea?  If good, what kinds of items should be priority?  What do you think about wording only as opposed to logos? Etc., etc.  :)

- Tracey, Captain
Public Affairs Officer, Professional Development, Logistics: NER-PA-160

Stonewall

National Capital Wing has a few items for sale, but no apparel.

http://natcapwg.cap.gov/store

If I were an artist type, I think I could design a decent couple of shirts or sweatshirts for you, but not sure I can even bring myself to try as I'm that bad at it.
Serving since 1987.

RiverAux

CG Aux has a pretty wide variety of those sorts of items that are minor money-makers for their equivalent of CAP regions.  As to how much it gets worn, I don't know.  I'll put a query on a CG Aux board.

I'm all for CAP doing it.  I said something in another thread a while back about needing a better t-shirt. 

Stonewall

FYI... in the other thread I mentioned some gaudy shirts they make for the military.  This is what I'd be opposed to doing.

It's a company called 7.62 Design.
Serving since 1987.

arajca

I think it's a good idea, although plain wording wouldn't draw attention. A nice, PRFOESSIONAL looking image with clear wording would be better and some variations on it would be best. One version for a button front shirt, another for a t-shirt, one more for a briefcase or tote bag, etc. All similar, just adapted for the particular media being used.

Stonewall

Quote from: arajca on January 06, 2008, 09:39:02 PM
I think it's a good idea, although plain wording wouldn't draw attention. A nice, PRFOESSIONAL looking image with clear wording would be better and some variations on it would be best.

^Concur^

I like the small emblem thing on the upper-left pocket area.   Simple, small design, maybe a C-182 with some wording around it.

Then, as an option.  The same C-182 on the back with some simple statement underneath.  "PROTECTING AMERICA SKIES SINCE 1941" or something.

Can do the same thing for ES, CP, AE, as well as generic CAP type designs.  I saw someone somewhere with a CAP shirt that had a C-172 busting through the sound barrier...it was all cartooney and everything.  Way too gaudy.
Serving since 1987.

tjaxe

I agree with everyone saying "no gaudy stuff."  The reason I indicated wording instead of a logo was so people could see that it was CAP that we're talking about.  Sometimes logos can obscure or minimize wording so much that it's hard to tell what the heck is being "branded" unless you're 3 inches from the person.  A logo that doesn't overwhelm the clarity of "civil air patrol" wording sounds totally fine.

- Tracey, Captain

♠SARKID♠

Open a store on CafePress.com  You can make custom designs with uploaded images, and sell them for profit.  Store is free to open, but someone will have to give them their tax ID number for legal purposes.

mikeylikey

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on January 07, 2008, 01:17:46 AM
Open a store on CafePress.com  You can make custom designs with uploaded images, and sell them for profit.  Store is free to open, but someone will have to give them their tax ID number for legal purposes.

Oh ya......sorry, C&D letters are ready for mailing as soon as you start printing up anything with the words Civil + Air + Patrol.   >:D
What's up monkeys?

Eclipse

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 07, 2008, 01:58:20 AM

Oh ya......sorry, C&D letters are ready for mailing as soon as you start printing up anything with the words Civil + Air + Patrol.   >:D

I can tell you from experience that Cafepress will likley ban any graphics which contain anything they believe are protected graphics from public sale.

I have coffee mugs made every year for encampment, they never have any issue shipping them to me, however they always block the graphics from being added for public sale (USAF wings, CAP logo, and unit insignias). 

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

I thought about making a t-shirt that just had a big set of pilot wings on the back that said "FLY" over the top and "CIVIL AIR PATROL" across the bottom.

When I was in the Marines there were pilots that had that, only with "Marine Corps" across the bottom.

Simple, and got the point across

tjaxe

Yeah... I wasn't thinking of this "apparel line" being done on the side by someone; I was thinking of it somehow being embraced by the "powers that be" and being official non-uniform stuff.

- Tracey, Captain

Pylon

Quote from: tjaxe on January 07, 2008, 03:10:43 PM
Yeah... I wasn't thinking of this "apparel line" being done on the side by someone; I was thinking of it somehow being embraced by the "powers that be" and being official non-uniform stuff.

I support the idea.  Cafepress is nice for home-grown stuff, but it's basically a fancy iron-on transfer store.  I'm leaning towards apparel that is designed and created by professionals, meets new branding guidelines for colors/fonts/logos/slogans/appearance (still need to create that branding, of course, first), and is available for online purchase by CAP members.

I've got a pile of brandable merchandise catalogs taking up space in my office right now.  There's a long list of good looking, quality apparel.  Just need to pair it up with a good designer, a consistent branding, and national headquarters buy-in.  Piece of cake, right?   ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

RiverAux

The consensus among CG Aux folks on another board is that such non-uniform apparel is good for fund raising for the unit but has little recruiting or public affairs impact. 

tjaxe

Quote from: RiverAux on January 07, 2008, 11:26:19 PM
The consensus among CG Aux folks on another board is that such non-uniform apparel is good for fund raising for the unit but has little recruiting or public affairs impact. 
Hmm.  I wonder if it's something that should be pursued then.  It might be more trouble than it's worth, unless it can bring in a good bit of cash.

- Tracey, Captain

star1151

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 07, 2008, 01:58:20 AM

Since a quick search of cafepress.com shows multiple items with "Civil Air Patrol" on them, it appears those letters never were mailed.  Or are being ignored. :-)

Pylon

Quote from: star1151 on January 08, 2008, 01:53:43 AM
Since a quick search of cafepress.com shows multiple items with "Civil Air Patrol" on them, it appears those letters never were mailed.  Or are being ignored. :-)

Either way, C&D letters or not, it's still a violation of intellectual property/copyrights/trademarks to use the Civil Air Patrol name without the express permission from corporate headquarters.

Quote from: tjaxe on January 08, 2008, 01:41:15 AM
Hmm.  I wonder if it's something that should be pursued then.  It might be more trouble than it's worth, unless it can bring in a good bit of cash.

I don't think raking in the cash should be the goal here.  At all.  The clothes should be sold near cost to allow NHQ to recover costs and overhead expenses related to administrating the sales.

I think if it's to be done, the main objectives would be to instill pride/espirt de corps amongst the members and to promote general brand awareness in the community.  It should be an integrated part of the larger branding/awareness campaign.  It would be effective even if only a minute amount of people saw members wearing them in their off time.

People need to continuously see your brand, over and over, before it sticks with them.  Maybe the time they saw you at the mall with the Civil Air Patrol button down they didn't Google you and join, but maybe when they saw the booth at an air show or saw an open house flyer - now they remember that they've seen CAP around and they recognize the name and are perhaps more inclined to read your flyer or stop by your booth.

It's a process.  One item of the campaign by itself doesn't achieve your desired result.  Just rolling out some shirts and polos and hoping it increases recruiting doesn't work.  Just slapping up a few billboards might be slightly more effective, but again - it won't achieve your desired result.   But all the various pieces - advertising, clothing, internet, social networking, community presence, media partnerships, etc. - as part of a coordinated, professionally designed, and well thought out advertising and communications plan each piece contributes to the overall effectiveness.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

One issue with non-uniform "logowear" sold by NHQ is an implied authorization to wear those items during missions, etc.

There were real issues several years ago when CAPMart was selling those nice button-down
short-sleeve shirts.  The were >very< popular around here with the very people who don't
"get" the whole uniform thing.  We were constantly shooing pilots away who showed up
to fly in them, and we had at least one case where a senior mission base
staffer wore one during a USAF eval.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

That is an issue.  I can say that I haven't observed it to be an issue with CG Aux, but then again there are only a couple of uniforms in the first place so it is much easier for everyone to understand what is a uniform and what is for general wear.  Could be very easy to get confused in CAP.