California Wing Commander Candidates

Started by SoCalCAPOfficer, October 11, 2007, 09:25:15 PM

SoCalCAPOfficer

I just got an e-mail form our interim Wing Commander regarding the final five candidates for California Wing Commander.   I was happy to see that it is a very impressive list of well qualified individuals.   Those of you in the California Wing have probably already received the same e-mail, but for those of you who did'nt here is the list:

Ltc Ron Butts
Maj. Ken Gonzalez
Ltc Ken Parris
Ltc Robert Davenport
Ltc John Longley
Daniel L. Hough, Maj, CAP
Commander
Hemet Ryan Sq 59  PCR-CA-458

bosshawk

SOCAL: who is Davenport?  I know all the rest.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SoCalCAPOfficer

I do not know him either.   From what I can find out, I believe he is probably a retired military field officer, since he is a Lt Col, and I don't think he has been in CAP very long.  I also know, or know of, most of the rest.
Commander

bosshawk

I know all of the rest: most quite well.  We probably should take any more discussion about this to PM.

BTW: the Paul Reid mentioned on another of the threads isn't me: spelling of last name is different and I couldn't sell an ice box to an Eskimo.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SoCalCAPOfficer

I agree we probably should'nt discuss the candidates here.   I just thought the list would be of interest to some who do not get all/cawg e-mail.   I was happy with the list though.
Commander

PHall

Not that we as ordinary members have much of a say in this.
It's pretty much the Region Commanders call.

Larry Mangum

The identified officers will have to go before the wing commander selection board, which normally consists of several former CAWG commanders, a member of the region staff, a current wing commander from outside the state, and one or two members from within the wing.   After all the applicants have been interviewed, then the board will rank them and then make make a recommendation to the Region Commander. The Region Commander does not have to accept their recommendation and in the past I know of at least one occasion when the person ranked last was selected over the person recommended by the board.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Mustang

There's only one obvious choice on that list, IMHO; I hope he gets it.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

SARPilotNY

Quote from: Mustang on October 14, 2007, 04:18:39 AM
There's only one obvious choice on that list, IMHO; I hope he gets it.
And which one is that in your opinion?  Just curious.
CAP member 30 + years SAR Pilot, GTM, Base staff

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

Chappie

Quote from: bosshawk on October 12, 2007, 04:03:04 AM
I know all of the rest: most quite well.  We probably should take any more discussion about this to PM.

BTW: the Paul Reid mentioned on another of the threads isn't me: spelling of last name is different and I couldn't sell an ice box to an Eskimo.

Sorry about the late response....I finally was able to get on-line here at Maxwell (serving on the NSC staff).  Like the others from CAWG, most of the men listed are known quantities to me with the exception of Davenport.  It has been a privilege of mine to have worked with Lt Cols Butts, Longley, Parris and Maj Gonzales.  Two of these men have or are serving as Group Commanders and the other two have been active in operations.  In addition, both Lt Col and Maj Gonzales briefly served as a Deputy Vice Commanders under the re-structuring of the CAWG organization under the previously Wing CC appointed by the person who shall be unnamed/recently relieved by the PCR CC.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)