Questions for the NEW Wing Commander

Started by usafcap1, February 28, 2014, 08:54:59 AM

usafcap1

What questions would you ask a new Wing Commander who just took office?

Thank you
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

Fubar

usafcap1

Come on, people real questions.

Thank you

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

Panache

"What changes, if any, do you plan on making to the Wing?"

Rick-DEL

"When are we getting ABU's?"   <Just kidding>

I would basically about upcoming changes, mainly staffing, expanded missions, etc...

UH60guy

Depends on the wing, but a few questions come to mind:

What is your vision for CAP's role in the state?
Where do you see the Wing fitting into interagency operations, such as with other regional SAR organizations and state emergency services?
What can the squadron (or group) commanders do to support your objectives?
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

LSThiker

What is your command and leadership philosophy?
What is your vision and goal for the wing?

Walkman

Quote from: UH60guy on February 28, 2014, 01:23:36 PM
Depends on the wing, but a few questions come to mind:

What is your vision for CAP's role in the state?
Where do you see the Wing fitting into interagency operations, such as with other regional SAR organizations and state emergency services?
What can the squadron (or group) commanders do to support your objectives?

This

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Ideally these questions were asked and answered BEFORE he or she became wing commander.

UH60guy

Well, I envisioned my response as if I bumped into the Wing King at a conference. Knowing his overarching strategy and what us squadron grunts can do where the cadets meet the road would help us better shape our training plans to both nest with higher's mission, as well as give us focus and direction for the next few years.

Does the Boss want to get more into ES? Well, if I was a CC, that would tell me to add some more GT training to the calendar. Does he want to get our membership up and spread the good word? That would tell me to hit AE hard, get some AEMs, and start doing more public events.

Knowing the strategic vision really helps. Basically ask along the lines of "what can I do to make you look good?" and you can't go too wrong.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

Eclipse

What is your Day 1, Week, 1 Month 1, Year 1 plan?

I could tell you mine in one sentence.  If he can't, or looks like he never considered the question before, he's cooked.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Quote from: Phil Hirons, Jr. on February 28, 2014, 03:00:48 PMIdeally these questions were asked and answered BEFORE he or she became wing commander.
They may very well have been, but a typical recent cadet turned SM isn't going to have been there to hear the answers, or for that matter, pretty much anyone else in the Wing.

Private Investigator

Quote from: usafcap1 on February 28, 2014, 08:54:59 AM

I think that is a stupid question. If you were a Wing Commander do you want to get asked the same question, 187 times? The Wing Commander on the day they assumed command will give his speech and put out his agenda.

Is the Wing Commander having a Q & A session at your Squadron?  8)

usafcap1

Quote from: Private Investigator on February 28, 2014, 07:54:43 PM
Quote from: usafcap1 on February 28, 2014, 08:54:59 AM

Is the Wing Commander having a Q & A session at your Squadron?  8)

No. But they will be having a one at the next conference this spring.

(Cadet 2008-2012)

HGjunkie

The new FLWG Commander will be doing a town hall Q&A with the general membership after the change of command ceremony (I can't find the email but I remember seeing it being announced).
••• retired
2d Lt USAF