Personal and Professional goals

Started by usafcap1, January 24, 2014, 11:58:06 AM

usafcap1

What are your Personal and Professional goals in CAP for this year.

Thank you

(The plan was to post this on the 1st. But college started again)
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

THRAWN

Finish Level 5, make lieutenant colonel, finish block 1 and most of block 2 of Naval War College....maybe take a squadron...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Alaric

Make decent inroads into ACSC, become a squadron commander, run a really great Wing Conference

dwb

Same thing I do every year, Pinky: Try to transform youth into dynamic Americans and aerospace leaders.

unmlobo

Professional Goal:  Complete Level III and TLC

Personal:  Be accepted into SOS and complete it during my "desert vacation".
Major, CAP
HI WG

JeffDG

Literacy programs, preserving our beloved covered bridges, world domination...

Eclipse

Quote from: JeffDG on January 24, 2014, 02:47:27 PM

Heading the "Reading is for Losers Coalition".

Exposing Covered bridges for the communist plot the have always been.

World anarchy.

HA!  Canceled you out!

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on January 24, 2014, 03:13:22 PM

Heading the "Reading is for Losers Coalition".

Exposing Covered bridges for the communist plot the have always been.

World anarchy.

HA!  Canceled you out!
I remain hopeful that someone will know the source of that.

THRAWN

But where's my saxophone?

AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

The CyBorg is destroyed

To live one day at a time, one hour at a time, one minute at a time, one second at a time.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

JeffDG

Quote from: THRAWN on January 24, 2014, 03:19:02 PM
But where's my saxophone?

I'd be lying if I said my men weren't committing any crimes.

rugger1869

Quote from: THRAWN on January 24, 2014, 12:41:04 PM
Finish Level 5, make lieutenant colonel, finish block 1 and most of block 2 of Naval War College....maybe take a squadron...

JMO is a bear. Good Luck!

THRAWN

I'm slotted for Strategy and War first. Figured I'd get Carl and the boys out of the way...again....

Thanks for the luck! My wife is so looking forward to listening to me drone on about it. :)

Quote from: rugger1869 on January 24, 2014, 03:41:03 PM

AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

rugger1869

Quote from: THRAWN on January 24, 2014, 04:22:41 PM
I'm slotted for Strategy and War first. Figured I'd get Carl and the boys out of the way...again....

Thanks for the luck! My wife is so looking forward to listening to me drone on about it. :)

Quote from: rugger1869 on January 24, 2014, 03:41:03 PM

I'm in Strat and War right now and behind. Catching up this weekend.

Flying Pig

Quote from: CyBorg on January 24, 2014, 03:38:02 PM
To live one day at a time, one hour at a time, one minute at a time, one second at a time.

Wouldn't just living one second at a time be easier? :)

Storm Chaser

My main goal in CAP for this year was to finish IC training. Checked.

I guess I can now take the rest of the year off. :D

pascocap2002

CAP:

After being promotable for 4 years and a squadron commander refusing to submit the paperwork, I changed squadrons, the new commander seen I had completed all requirements for promotion years ago and submitted the paperwork. 2 days later, I am a Major. So My new CAP goals for this year are:

-Attend Region Staff College
-Become on IC
-Recerfity as Aircrew
-Either help teach or host a SLS or CLC
-Attend a Wing Conference

Since I travel so much for work, its difficult to be active in CAP squadron meetings but I still hope to be able to attend the activities I listed above. That is of course pending I am able to get the time away from work.

Professional:

-Finish my Fellowship in Dive Medicine (It will be tough but maybe by December I can finish)
-Get my non-profit replacement equipment
-Gain more strategic partners for my non-profit
-Recruit and train more response members

Thats it so far but more goals will come up and be added to the calendar this year.

RMW14

I was just looking of my little list of things to do this year for CAP, Professional, and Personal goals.

CAP:
- Plow through as much of GTM2, GTM3, and GTL as I can
-Senior rating in Cadet programs and Tech in ES
-Fly as many CD sorties as I can while CAP is providing services for that mission
-SLS, CLC, and TLC as soon as they pop up in my wing or a local wing.

Professional:
-Get my butt into school (Nursing school)

Personal-
-Take more flying lessons
-Exercise more

I guess CAP is going to be the harder stuff but I may have to cut those goals back if I get into nursing school for the fall.
Ryan Weir Capt
Emergency Services Officer Jesse Jones Composite Squadron 304
Expert Ranger #274
NASAR SARTECH 1 Lead Evaluator/ WEMT
CD PAWG Central
AOBD,GBD,GTL, GTM1, UDF, MO, MS, MRO, AP

Panache

Impress my CC so that I get an extra zero added to my CAP paycheck.

ProdigalJim

As of 5 Feb, I'll start my second year as squadron commander. Looking back, I think I met all but one of the goals I set for the squadron last year...and I'll move that goal to this year. So my year-two goals are:

1)   Identify two CC candidates
2)   Secure agreement leading to permanent facility (we're splitting time right now between an Armory that's not-so-thrilled to have us and an ops trailer at the airport that, charitably, looks like a meth lab)
3)   Increase Year One numeric goals by 10% (these were metrics I set for recruiting critical skills, membership retention, cadet progress and a few other things.)
4)   One joint UTX with CAP AND non-CAP assets (this is aimed at working more closely with our local agencies)
5)   No SMWOG with more than 18 months TIG (I'm trying to drag more folks across the finish line, as opposed to letting people come in, sit around and "absorb" without doing what they need to do to make at least 2nd Lt.)
6)   "Highly Successful" SUI rating (fingers-crossed)

For me personally, I want to do more Air Branch Director stuff, now that I'm a newly minted AOBD, attend CLC, and go to the National Conference.

Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

FlyTiger77

Attached and below are the goals for Group II, TNWG:

Do routine things routinely
•Meet suspenses 100% on time
•Maintain ≥ 90% safety education currency

Put the "Air" Back in Civil Air Patrol (AE)
•Maintain 33-50% orientation ride (powered + glider) completion rate
•Ensure all cadets receive their first orientation flight ≤90 days after joining
•Conduct Group-wide AE expo
•Conduct Group-wide model rocketry competition

Become the ES Resource of Choice in SE TN
•Field 5 complete mission aircrews (MP/MO/MS)
•Field 7 complete ground teams (GTL & 3 GTMs)
•Field 5 complete mission base staffs (IC, MC, MSO, OSC, PSC, LSC & FASC)
•50% of all senior members UDF qualified

Train to Lead (Cadet Programs)
•4 Spaatz cadets by FY16
•50% of cadets attend encampment during first year

Grow our Future & Remember our Past
•Add two squadrons by the end of FY15
•Retain quality members
•Publish histories for HQ, Group II, and each squadron

I am still pondering how to quantify "Retain quality members."
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 24, 2014, 06:32:55 PM
Quote from: CyBorg on January 24, 2014, 03:38:02 PM

Wouldn't just living one second at a time be easier? :)

Sometimes that's what it takes. :)
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

AlphaSigOU

Survive the Alabama Wing Compliance Inspection and Professional Development weekend in April.

Eligible to pin on Lt Col in July.

Attend the National Boards (Vegas, baby!)
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Private Investigator

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on January 25, 2014, 05:17:51 PMGrow our Future & Remember our Past
•Add two squadrons by the end of FY15
•Retain quality members
•Publish histories for HQ, Group II, and each squadron

I am still pondering how to quantify "Retain quality members."

Do you really need to add any Squadrons to your Group? When I was a Group Commander I had my hands full with ten and I envy the GPCC's that had five. You have too many and it becomes a 'span of control' issue.

I enjoy CAP history and that was a big deal especially for a Group HQ. When I was a GPCC we had a Group Historical report. We did not have one before me and now they do not have one after me. You really need to find a great Historian because everyone wants to be a Mission Pilot or a Ground Team Leader.

Now 'quality members' is like apples and oranges, everyone has an opinion of what is a 'quality member'.   8)

Private Investigator

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on January 27, 2014, 02:59:43 PM
Survive the Alabama Wing Compliance Inspection and Professional Development weekend in April.

Eligible to pin on Lt Col in July.

Attend the National Boards (Vegas, baby!)

More trips to Lost Wages in 2014  ;)

Eclipse

Quote from: Private Investigator on January 27, 2014, 06:38:00 PM

I'm back there in March with a client trip, but won't likely be there for boards.

With that said, the Tropicana has actually gotten a fair number of accolades recently
with a remodel and re-branding, otherwise, 2-years ago that'd be the last place you'd want to stay.

"That Others May Zoom"

James Shaw

Continue and finish Masters, support my wifes efforts to finish her degree.

OSHA 30 Hour Construction Class
ASP Safety Certification
CSHM Safety Certification
Do alot of Safety Audits.....
Work on book I am writing.
Attend CAPSOC

CAP wise I am not sure. Each new National Commander selects their own National Staff.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

FlyTiger77

Quote from: Private Investigator on January 27, 2014, 06:36:33 PM
Do you really need to add any Squadrons to your Group?

While I understand your span of control concerns, I feel that the addition of 2 more squadrons would better serve my 22-county geographic area.

Now 'quality members' is like apples and oranges, everyone has an opinion of what is a 'quality member'.

I certainly agree, which is why I am still pondering how to quantify it. I have said for quite some time that CAP does not have a recruiting problem, we have a retention problem.

... we had a Group Historical report.

Prior to retirement, my last job was commanding an Army Military History detachment. I would be interested in seeing the format you used to collect your Group's historical information.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Private Investigator

Quote from: Eclipse on January 27, 2014, 06:45:09 PM
Quote from: Private Investigator on January 27, 2014, 06:38:00 PM

I'm back there in March with a client trip, but won't likely be there for boards.

With that said, the Tropicana has actually gotten a fair number of accolades recently
with a remodel and re-branding, otherwise, 2-years ago that'd be the last place you'd want to stay.

A client trip to Phoenix is coming up but I may request lodging at the Tropicana. I did that once for a case in Oakland and the FBI put me up at a 4 star in downtown San Francisco.   8)

Private Investigator

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on January 27, 2014, 07:53:05 PM
Do you really need to add any Squadrons to your Group?

While I understand your span of control concerns, I feel that the addition of 2 more squadrons would better serve my 22-county geographic area.

Now 'quality members' is like apples and oranges, everyone has an opinion of what is a 'quality member'.

I certainly agree, which is why I am still pondering how to quantify it. I have said for quite some time that CAP does not have a recruiting problem, we have a retention problem.

... we had a Group Historical report.

Prior to retirement, my last job was commanding an Army Military History detachment. I would be interested in seeing the format you used to collect your Group's historical information.

#1, I added a Flight and told them if they could do 50% of their promises/desires they could be upgraded to a Squadron. Six months later they only had two people and then they blame me for not giving them a corporate plane. YMMV, good luck.

#2, I think the retention issue, is tough. We expect to much, i.e. everyone should stay for 20 years. Everyone has a 'sweet spot', we just have to hit it.

#3, I think CAPP 5 has an exceptional outline or format to follow. I have used it at the Squadron, Group and now at the Wing level. Every year you make it better, i.e. for 2013 I think I will list all the members who had passed on during that year. Something for their legacy, and our most valuable resource is our people.     

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Private Investigator on January 29, 2014, 10:29:16 PM
#2, I think the retention issue, is tough. We expect to much, i.e. everyone should stay for 20 years. Everyone has a 'sweet spot', we just have to hit it.

You made a valid and fair point here.

However, I would like to expand on it.

In some cases we expect too much - overloading a new Lieutenant with several "hats" (example: when I joined I was almost immediately appointed Assistant Aerospace Education Officer, Assistant Safety Officer, Assistant Administrative Officer and probably others I do not remember).  It is like trying to shove a boulder through a garden hose, many times they feel "I cannot do all this" and we lose them.

In other cases we get a new member signed up, give him/her CPPT, Level I, and fingerprint check - and then ignore them.  No wonder they get a bit disillusioned an do not come back.  This especially happens with members who may not be the archetypal "go-getters" who are not outwardly "enthusiastic"-seeming and who need encouragement.  Unfortunately some units will purposefully sign members like this just to inflate their rosters.  I remember one squadron who had several of these "ghost" members who I never met.  I asked about it and was told "those 'ghost' members are the difference between us remaining a squadron or being downgraded to a flight."

I agree with you that everyone has a "sweet spot," and we just have to "hit it."  However, in many cases we have to make the effort to FIND that "sweet spot," since the member may not even yet know what that "sweet spot" is themselves.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Private Investigator

^ very good ponits indeed Hauptmann 

Der Oberst   8)

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Private Investigator on January 30, 2014, 05:47:00 PM
^ very good ponits indeed Hauptmann 

Der Oberst   8)

Vielen Dank, Herr Oberst (Oberst oder Oberstleutnant?) der CAP. ;D
Exiled from GLR-MI-011