Main Menu

Drinks

Started by usafcap1, January 24, 2013, 12:19:15 PM

usafcap1

My 21th birthday is coming up and a few SM's want to take me out for a drink at a local pub. Would that be okay or no? We would be wearing our BDU's.

Just want to check to be on the safe side. I see a lot a Navy guys in uniform out there, I just want  to check. Don't worry I don't plan to get drunk as a skunk.

Thanks
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

Stonewall

Quote from: usafcap1 on January 24, 2013, 12:19:15 PM
Don't worry I don't plan to get drunk as a skunk.

That may not be YOUR plan, but....

I'd suggest against wearing your uniform either way.
Serving since 1987.

AlphaSigOU

In this day and age, it's NOT a very good idea getting drunk, polluted, shellacked, etc., etc. and so forth in uniform.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

SJFedor

Email your Wing Commander, see what he would have to say. Or better yet, just invite him.

I mean jeebus, i'm not trying to be mean, but do you have ZERO common sense?

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Bobble

Personally, I think it's a swell idea.  Just make sure you bring some recruiting materials with you to distribute (in your role as the Squadron's Recruiting and Retention Officer) to the other bar patrons.  What better place to find someone to sign up and be your Ass't. DDR Officer (if you don't already have one).
R. Litzke, Capt, CAP
NER-NY-153

"Men WILL wear underpants."

Angus

Aside from the uniform there's absolutely no problem with it.  Just bring a change of clothes to your meeting and change out before hitting up the bar. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Cool Mace

Quote from: Angus on January 24, 2013, 02:31:22 PM
Aside from the uniform there's absolutely no problem with it.  Just bring a change of clothes to your meeting and change out before hitting up the bar.

Exactly. A quick change of clothes after you're dismissed for the evening, and you may enjoy yourselves as you see fit.

Welcome to the dark side. Make sure you apply for your cookies through EServices. They are a little backed up with orders right now, so give it some time to get to you.
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

johnnyb47

I can't find "at local pub to celebrate your 21st birthday" anywhere in the "when to wear" table in 39-1.....
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Eclipse

CAP membership aside, I have an issue with the idea that turning 21 now means alcohol is considered a mandate.

Have them take you to a nice restaurant.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cool Mace

I find if you are able to go out with adults who can teach you the ways of good alcohol, then you will be better off than just going out with friends.
Having a good beer or two never hurt anyone. Just make sure you drink plenty of water, and possibly have a DD.

Enjoy yourself in a responsible way. Don't do anything you might regret the next day. Don't "act a fool".
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.

Pylon

Bring a change of clothes.  I cannot see any reason whatsoever why you'd be unable to bring civilian clothes with you to the meeting and change in the bathroom or something of that nature.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Stonewall

21st Birthday Safety Briefing:

1.  The more you drink, the better women look.  Have MOPP IV at the ready.
2.  It's okay to lie at the bar.  You're not in CAP, you just graduated Top Gun.
3.  The minute you start taking shots is the minute your night just got better, or worse.  Could go either way.
4.  Get phone numbers, don't give them.
5.  You don't have a Facebook page...ever.
6.  Pictures are never a good idea.
7.  Animals are not suddenly your friend because you're drunk.  Don't screw with them...don't screw them.
8.  In a relationship?  The answer is:  "I'm just now getting over her."
9.  I don't like to talk about "the war", and leave it at that.
10. Make eye contact, listen, and smile.

Bonus rule:   Designated driver or taxi.  When you're intoxicated you ALWAYS think you're good to go, but you're not!  The cost of a cab ride is far cheaper than lawyer/court fees, and doesn't compare to injuring or killing another human.  Now, go get hammered!
Serving since 1987.

Cool Mace

Stonewall,

Those are rules to live by everyday, not just on your 21st.
Nicely put!
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on January 24, 2013, 02:59:58 PM
CAP membership aside, I have an issue with the idea that turning 21 now means alcohol is considered a mandate.

Have them take you to a nice restaurant.

I saw no evidence of arm twisting...they offered, he accepted.  No "mandate" involved.

Did the same on my 18th.

Simplex

Quote from: Stonewall on January 24, 2013, 12:30:20 PM
Quote from: usafcap1 on January 24, 2013, 12:19:15 PM
Don't worry I don't plan to get drunk as a skunk.

That may not be YOUR plan, but....

I'd suggest against wearing your uniform either way.

Ditto! People are too quick to judge these days. You never know who's watching. Congrats and Happy Birthday....but leave the uniform elsewhere.

Eclipse

Never said anyone twisted an arm, this is a societal issue - somehow there must be a rite of passage involving alcohol.

Then we wonder why we have "issues".

"That Others May Zoom"

Cool Mace

Quote from: Eclipse on January 24, 2013, 04:44:34 PM
Then we wonder why we have "issues".

I fully agree with that.

I honestly think if people grew up around it in a responsible way, we wouldn't have nearly the problem we do.
Alcohol has become such an "evil" thing, and when someone turns 21, BAM! It's time to party. I've never seen the point in that.

I enjoy a nice drink every now and then. But what's the point of going out and getting drunk? It costs too much to begin with.
A fine cigar, and a bottle of nice scotch with a few close friends at home is the way to go.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.

Eclipse

Quote from: Cool Mace on January 24, 2013, 05:22:12 PMI enjoy a nice drink every now and then. But what's the point of going out and getting drunk? It costs too much to begin with. A fine cigar, and a bottle of nice scotch with a few close friends at home is the way to go.

Agree.  I've said before that a big night for me is a Kahlua and cream in a hotel lobby if I have no where to be for 8-10 hours - some Bailey's in my coffee
is the "hard stuff".

Who knows?  Maybe a good example here puts this fine young man on the right path.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cool Mace

Quote from: Eclipse on January 24, 2013, 05:25:19 PM
Who knows?  Maybe a good example here puts this fine young man on the right path.

One can hope.  ;)
Always lead by example.
I will admit I enjoy to "Cut loose" a rare occasions. By cutting loose, I mean a night at an adults house with a 6 of Guinness, and maybe a Crown & Coke.
Of course, no driving.

Bailey's... Gotta love it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.

Stonewall

I had my first alcoholic drink at age 24 and didn't experience being drunk until I was around 25 or 26.  No real reason, just didn't.  I was always into things that didn't involve alcohol.  No big deal.

My father, a Vietnam vet and retired Navy officer, was critically and permanently injured by a drunk driver in 1987.  Paralyzed, memory loss, and difficulty speaking, and I'm no hater of drinking.  In fact, I think chillin' out at a bar with friends along with some drinks is often the best psychological decompression and mental dump you can do.
Serving since 1987.