Main Menu

Newspaper ad

Started by usafcap1, October 25, 2012, 09:57:49 PM

usafcap1

I plan to submit one of these ads in my local newspaper. Tell me which one sounds better. Do any of them need work?

1.)
Want to make a difference in your community, while serving your country? Join the Civil Air Patrol, the official auxiliary of the United States Air Force. The Civil Air Patrol specializes in Air and Ground Search and Rescue, Disaster Relief, Homeland Security, Photo Reconnaissance, and much more.

2.)
The Civil Air Patrol offers men and women across the country challenging opportunities in an awards-based, mulit-level program.  Leadership training, technical education and an opportunity to participate in aviation-related activities and are just a few of the benefits of CAP membership. Civil Air Patrol also offers Cadet, Chaplain and Aerospace Education memberships.

Thanks
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

Brad

I take it it's a small pay-per-word or pay-per-character ad? If so, I'd say the second ad addresses all three CAP missions, as opposed to the first one which makes it out to be moreso a volunteer fire department or the like. Also HIGHLY recommend adding www.gocivilairpatrol.com in there at the end.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

sardak

You asked the same question last week in this thread.

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=16301.0

Mike

RiverAux

I've gotten a few calls out of classified ads before.  I'd recommend keeping it as simple and focused as possible.  Can't recruit for everything in one ad.  If you're looking for cadets, do an ad focused on cadets.  Need pilots and SAR personnel, do an ad focused on ES. 

usafcap1

|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

whatevah

You should contact your group PAO or wing PAO if you don't have a group officer before proceeding. The advice about targeting the ad is very important as well, talk with your unit commander to see what TNT focus should be on. No point in recruiting pilots if your unit/area doesn't have flight operations.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

SarDragon

Quote from: usafcap1 on October 25, 2012, 10:46:07 PM
Quote from: sardak on October 25, 2012, 10:10:05 PM

Mike

No its not.

The linked thread:

Quote from: usafcap1 on October 16, 2012, 04:01:48 AM
I plan to run this in a local newspaper. Tell me what you think.

Thanks

Want to make a difference in your community, while serving your country? Join the Civil Air Patrol,  the official auxiliary of the United States Air Force. The Civil Air Patrol specializes in Air and Ground Search and Rescue, Disaster Relief, Homeland Security, Photo Reconnaissance, and much much more. We also offer cadet programs for teens who are interested in a career in aviation, space, or the military. You must be between the ages of 12 and 17 years of age to join as a cadet.

My info

Join us to serve and protect our Community, State, and Nation.

The current thread:

Quote from: usafcap1 on October 25, 2012, 09:57:49 PM
I plan to submit one of these ads in my local newspaper. Tell me which one sounds better. Do any of them need work?

1.)
Want to make a difference in your community, while serving your country? Join the Civil Air Patrol, the official auxiliary of the United States Air Force. The Civil Air Patrol specializes in Air and Ground Search and Rescue, Disaster Relief, Homeland Security, Photo Reconnaissance, and much more.

2.)
The Civil Air Patrol offers men and women across the country challenging opportunities in an awards-based, mulit-level program.  Leadership training, technical education and an opportunity to participate in aviation-related activities and are just a few of the benefits of CAP membership. Civil Air Patrol also offers Cadet, Chaplain and Aerospace Education memberships.

Thanks

Not a lot of difference that I can see.

You were given advice at that time, and if you had different ads, you could have asked about them in the original thread. Instead, you started a new one, where you got pretty much the same advice.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RickRutledge

Quote from: SarDragon on October 26, 2012, 05:49:40 AM
Quote from: usafcap1 on October 25, 2012, 10:46:07 PM
Quote from: sardak on October 25, 2012, 10:10:05 PM

Mike

No its not.

The linked thread:

Quote from: usafcap1 on October 16, 2012, 04:01:48 AM
I plan to run this in a local newspaper. Tell me what you think.

Thanks

Want to make a difference in your community, while serving your country? Join the Civil Air Patrol,  the official auxiliary of the United States Air Force. The Civil Air Patrol specializes in Air and Ground Search and Rescue, Disaster Relief, Homeland Security, Photo Reconnaissance, and much much more. We also offer cadet programs for teens who are interested in a career in aviation, space, or the military. You must be between the ages of 12 and 17 years of age to join as a cadet.

My info

Join us to serve and protect our Community, State, and Nation.

The current thread:

Quote from: usafcap1 on October 25, 2012, 09:57:49 PM

1.)

2.)

Thanks

Not a lot of difference that I can see.

You were given advice at that time, and if you had different ads, you could have asked about them in the original thread. Instead, you started a new one, where you got pretty much the same advice.

And to be quite honest, there isn't anything exciting about your copy. Remember, you need to assume the audience you target (womb to tomb) has the attention span of a gnat. When writing copy to target any demographic, brevity is key. Get to the point and move on. Also, PHOTOS are the attention getting media for print. If you're lacking something to look it, chances are it won't get looked at.

A suggestion:
Make a difference in your community and serve your country. (NOTE: Those are absolutes, you either are or are not)
Join Civil Air Patrol,  the official auxiliary of the United States Air Force. Get a chance to fly, lead and succeed for both Teens and Adults. (NOTE: THE Civil Air Patrol is incorrect)
We are Citizens Serving Communities...everyday.

CONTACT/MEETING INFO (NOTE: I suggest giving both)

*The cadet program is open to young adults from 12-18 years of age (NOTE: List it as a disclaimer)

Put that on top of a great graphic of the CAP airplane flying above the Statue of Liberty and you've got one hell of an ad.

Send it up the chain to get approval since you are putting together a non-sanctioned ad on your own, your Wing CC is the only corporate officer who can give you that green light.
Maj. Rick Rutledge
Wing Public Affairs Officer
Oklahoma Wing
Broken Arrow Composite Squadron
Commander
Civil Air Patrol
(Cadet 1996-2001)