Main Menu

The dark side

Started by usafcap1, September 06, 2012, 06:25:51 AM

usafcap1

Well I'm on the dark side now... Its feels weird having all the cadets calling me "Sir".
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

Walkman

Your first meeting as a new SM, you are responsible for bringing the donuts. These bellies don't get made by themselves, ya' know!  ;D

Congrats!

Garibaldi

Quote from: usafcap1 on September 06, 2012, 06:25:51 AM
Well I'm on the dark side now... Its feels weird having all the cadets calling me "Sir".

Not as weird as having cadets who you trained up and sent to AFROTC being in charge of you when you join said AFROTC detachment when you go back to college at age 40.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Pylon

Quote from: Garibaldi on September 06, 2012, 12:33:19 PM
Not as weird as having cadets who you trained up and sent to AFROTC being in charge of you when you join said AFROTC detachment when you go back to college at age 40.

Well, that's awkward. I thought I had it awkward when cadets I trained go off and get commissioned and suddenly they're the "sir" or "ma'am" (I'm an enlisted Marine) -- but I'm willing to concede your situation is even more awkward.

As for USAFCAP1, welcome to the club.  It's a lot of work.  Way more work than being a cadet.  Being a cadet was easy stuff.  Being a senior member means that you're no longer in a leadership laboratory (which the cadet program, by definition, is); people expect full-on, ready-for-primetime leadership.  The best thing you can do to help yourself in these first few years is to take as much professional development as you can and is available to you (hit up TLC, OBC, SLS, and get a specialty track rating to start; if CLC or UCC are available take those too). 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

spacecommand

Is that scenario possible?  Isn't the upper age limit for commissioning 35 (with some exceptions), so going back to college at age 40, wouldn't that preclude one from being eligible  in joining the ROTC program?

From the AF website:

QuoteRated (pilot or combat systems officer) – commissioned before reaching the age of 29
    Scholarship applicants – be less than 31 years old as of December 31 of the year you will commission
    Tech, non-tech and non-rated – commissioned by age 30 (waiverable up to age 35)

Garibaldi

Quote from: spacecommand on September 08, 2012, 07:21:03 PM
Is that scenario possible?  Isn't the upper age limit for commissioning 35 (with some exceptions), so going back to college at age 40, wouldn't that preclude one from being eligible  in joining the ROTC program?

From the AF website:

QuoteRated (pilot or combat systems officer) – commissioned before reaching the age of 29
    Scholarship applicants – be less than 31 years old as of December 31 of the year you will commission
    Tech, non-tech and non-rated – commissioned by age 30 (waiverable up to age 35)

No. I could take the first 2 years (GMC) as elective credit. I was not seeking a commission. I could not go to Field Training and go on to become a POC(Professional Officer Corps) cadet at that age.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things