Main Menu

The USO

Started by usafcap1, April 10, 2012, 03:44:47 AM

RADIOMAN015

I've got to admit I got more interested in this with all the posting on CAP cadets and others using facilities etc. 

I checked the national site of the USO http://www.uso.org/    Take a look at their IRS Form 990 posted and the rest of their programs. Also look at the locator of where all the USO Centers/Activities are in the United States as well as overseas areas (it's best to scroll through the information on the left side of the screen because all the locations don't immediately pop up on the map --at least on my computer).

Also for the LAX site   
http://www.lawa.org/welcome_LAX.aspx?id=1592  and http://www.bobhopeuso.org/    Wonder if Bob Hope/Estate of Bob Hope gave them a big donation ???  VERY nice facility :clap:

What it looks to me is this organization is basically set up similar to the American Red Cross.    The Chapters (Service centers) seem to be separate non profit organization incorporated in either the state they are in OR one of the states within their region (if they are covering more than one state) and each has their own governing boards and paid directors and staff, as well as volunteers.

It seems that the National Organization is focused on overseas support (based upon their 990) and likely provides support to the other independent USO's like the National HQ American Red Cross does in regards to certain marketing materials and services.

Almost forgot --- Our local USO was set up at the BX one day (and of course as many of you know I'm in undercover ops always looking for wayward CAP members at the BX ;) :angel:) and I got talking with them.  They are always looking for adult volunteers (and these folks were definitely seniors as far as age goes but with a youthful spirit in what they want to do for the troops :clap:).   I even asked what CAP could do for them, BUT apparently the Young Marines on the base were providing assistance in moving supplies around etc, so I didn't go forward to our DCC.

So again the organization deserves a salute and respect by all for what they do primarily for US military services personnel & their families :clap: :clap: :clap:
RM

Eclipse

Clap all you want, it won't change the assertions and comments you made.

"That Others May Zoom"

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on May 15, 2012, 03:15:47 AM
Clap all you want, it won't change the assertions and comments you made.
Hey at least I asked the local USO if they needed CAP's help (well before this subject came up on CAPTALK  -- in fact I had forgotten about it).  How many other CAP units at least make the effort ???

So for the record.  I personally have no issue with any USO center helping CAP members (especially cadets) when circumstances prevent the CAP organization from helping its' own members :-[
RM   

68w20

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 15, 2012, 03:36:04 AM
How many other CAP units at least make the effort ???

Seriously?  Did you really just type that?  Are you really insinuating that you are one of only a few CAP members that is willing to work with outside agencies to accomplish our missions?  You're sitting here hurling insults at the people responsible for facilitating travel for hundreds of international Cadets to 20 different countries around the world; and then you have the audacity to present yourself as a shining beacon exemplifying CAP involvement?

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 15, 2012, 03:36:04 AM
So for the record.  I personally have no issue with any USO center helping CAP members (especially cadets) when circumstances prevent the CAP organization from helping its' own members :-[
The CAP organization did help its own members.  It did so by coordinating with an outside agency that came forward, willing to give our members a place to hang out while waiting for their flight.  How is CAP NOT doing its job there?