Main Menu

Cabinet Locks

Started by Spaceman3750, January 06, 2012, 09:27:10 AM

Spaceman3750

My squadron has three silver locks that attach to a filing or upright cabinet (the bar that goes across a turning key lock). I have seen identical locks at other units outside of my wing so I believe these must have come from NHQ at some point.

Does anyone have a point of contact for obtaining these locks? We have a lock that the bar has broken on and we need to replace it.

Thanks!

SarDragon

These?

They can be obtained from distributors of Sargent & Greenleaf products, but were most likely donated by someone with military connections. I have a couple here on gun safes.

They are not cheap!

8077-108 COMBINATION PADLOCK $331.71
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spaceman3750

No, I'll have to post a picture. It's a small horizontal metal bar that folds over a keyed lock. It overlaps one edge of a drawer or cabinet door to keep it closed.

Spaceman3750

The style I'm looking for is apparently a "straight bar hasp". It looks like I can pick one up online and I have a padlock to pair it with - might be easier than trying to get a new one from wherever they came from to start with.

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-730DPF-Straight-4-Inch/dp/B000BD69I8/ref=pd_cp_hi_1

The concept is the same except ours have the lock integrated.

Guess I just needed to do some better Google-fu.

Al Sayre

A trip to your local Home Depot, Lowes, or maybe even Wal-mart would probably be quicker and cheaper...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Al Sayre on January 06, 2012, 12:17:51 PM
A trip to your local Home Depot, Lowes, or maybe even Wal-mart would probably be quicker and cheaper...

Yeah, one of the local hardware stores has it on their website so I'm hoping they have one in stock here in town. That's just the first example I found.

NIN

Obviously, those neato file cabinet lock that are a hinged vertical bar along the right or left side of the cabinet are ideal the whole cabinet.

However, a hasp base (the "loop" part) screwed into the top and a heavy duty piece of steel barstock the height of the cabinet + 4-6" w/ a 90 degree bend & a slot cut for the hasp is pretty cheap (local metal/welding shop, $20 each), and takes standard padlocks.

the only hazard is low drop ceilings
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

EMT-83

If you only need to lock one drawer, these work well:

http://www.filelockingbar.com/

Ideal for securing tests in one drawer without locking the other three.