Have you ever been away from CAP for a while?

Started by Smoothice, February 10, 2011, 08:02:26 PM

What's the longest you had to be away from CAP? Was it akward returning?

Never missed a week!
6 (13.6%)
Couple times here and there, no biggy
12 (27.3%)
More than a month, and nobody seemed to worry about it
17 (38.6%)
More than a month, and I caught heck for it!
3 (6.8%)
I'm still away..I'm afraid of going back!
6 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Voting closed: February 20, 2011, 08:02:26 PM

Smoothice

Just wondering what your thaughts about being away for a while were. I know this is all volunteer, but some of us hold positions that really can't be neglected. So, if you had been away for a long time, did anyone give you strange looks when you came back?

I was stuck covering the night shift for a month or so, but I have been in contact with everyone....

DKruse

For awhile, I had a job that required extensive international travel.  I'd usually be gone for 2 - 3 weeks at a time and I did that every other month for quite some time.  I ended up turning over my position in the squadron to someone else and took a position that didn't require constant attention.  Everyone in my squadron understood my situation.  The key thing was that I kept them informed about when I wouldn't be there.

At the beginning of 2010, I was just burned out on CAP and had too many other obligations.  I told my squadron commander everything and I went to patron status for a year.  After getting my batteries charged, changing jobs, and having other things in my life free up, I just became active again.  Once I came back, I got back into the groove quickly and it was like I never left, except now I have a much better outlook on CAP.

Just remember: family, job, and church all come before CAP.  Hopefully you have a squadron that thinks this way.
Dalen Kruse, Capt., CAP
St. Croix Composite Squadron
NCR-MN-122

Ad hadem cum gloria. Faciamus operum.

DogCollar

I was absent from meetings from August 20, 2010 to January 3, 2011.  I was able to do some administrative things on eServices for my squadron.  But, I told the Squadron Commander that I had to be absent for several months for very personal reasons, he and the other SM's were able to handle things while I was away.  They seem to be glad that I am back, and I am trying to make it up by undertaking an additional duty assignment.
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

PA Guy

People come and go in CAP all the time, it's no big deal unless you committ to do something and then don't.

jimmydeanno

I would venture that it would all depend on the conditions upon which you left.

If you were the transportation guy and had to submit the monthly report - but "vanished" for a few months, just showing back up might be awkward.  If you were the assistant DDRO for the squadron and didn't show up for a few months, chances are that there wouldn't be too much said because there probably wasn't anything that someone else had to do while you were gone.

I'm not sure why you didn't let someone know that you were stuck on night-shift, it probably would ease your feelings of awkwardness.

I've had some absences from CAP, one about 6 months, but it was because I moved 1,700 miles from my unit, bought a house, started school, etc.  I had told my old unit commander that I was doing all that, then transferred when I was ready.  No big deal.

People come and go, but if you want to remain active, I would recommend that you just communicate with the people that you volunteer with, with at least the minimum that someone will have to backfill you.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

The CyBorg is destroyed

I have had breaks in service over the past almost 18 years, one lasting a couple of years (personal reasons).  I should have maintained at least Patron status.

If not for those breaks, I would likely be a LTC by now.

I have some not-insignificant health issues that don't get any better as I get older.  I belong to a very active unit (especially on the cadet side; I would have given my right arm to be part of a unit like this as a kid) and it distresses me that I cannot be as active as I would like to be.

If I cannot make it to a meeting/activity, I ALWAYS notify and don't leave people hanging.

I do what I can, when I can, but I have to live with the reality that I am not what I was 18 years ago.  Along with the health issues, I'm married, and I am part of a church that I try to be active in.

I avoid committing hard-and-fast to many activities since I don't want to disappoint and look like a jerk if I cannot make it.  If I can, I go, if not, at least I haven't lied to anyone.

I have to be honest and say that there are times when I wonder how much worth I am to CAP.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

NCRblues

I have taken my "breaks" in service to cap, kind of hard to attend the weekly meetings while in basic or tech school.

To those that are voting that they are afraid to come back....i would like to know the reasons behind that please.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

SarDragon

I was gone for ten years, once.

I left my unit in Japan, and came back to the States, when I retired from the Navy. I shopped units in my new location, but didn't get a warm fuzzy from them, so I didn't transfer my membership at that time. I moved to a second location, and due to time and commuting issues, didn't affiliate there, either.

Moved to a third location, and had similar issues until I relocated within the local area to a place about a 15 minute drive from home. That was in '99, and I'm still very active.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

CAP_truth

A long long time. Kept up with what was going on, came back and was sorry I let my membership lapse  :(
Cadet CoP
Wilson

SarDragon

Well, I didn't let my membership lapse that time. I had an earlier period where I let it expire, and I am sorry now. I could be getting a free ride in 4 years.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AlphaSigOU

I was out of CAP from 1988 until 2005; other interests took priority and I put my membership on the back burner.

Currently, I live and work on Kwajalein Atoll, in the Marshall Islands (been there since August 2009). While I'm still on active status, obviously there is no CAP unit here and current regulations prohibit establishing an overseas squadron at any other location other than an Air Force base. (Kwaj is an Army installation.) I'm on the tail end of my initial two-year contract (it expires in August) but I am planning on extending on 'rolling 90s' (90-day contract extensions; all I have to do when I get tired of the place is to give 90 days notice - if the company doesn't lay me off first.)

I still visit my squadron whenever I'm on leave and I plan to attend National Staff College this fall.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

IceNine

If you've stayed in touch like you said there should be no problems.

Go back and ease yourself back in.  Assuming you left on good terms you will probably get a lot of "Hey who's the new guy" and "did you put on/drop a few pounds?".  Shortly after all the festivities it will be business as usual.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Dad2-4

Was a cadet for a year back in '77-'78, then rejoined as a SM in '01, so that's a 23 year break.
Then went inactive for almost 2 years for personal reasons, let my membership go, then renewed and rejoined actively in time to retain my grade. Now, due to my physical location, I'm inactive since Feb '09.
When we return to the States I'll be looking for a good unit to join. Any suggestions?

SARJunkie

I actually told CAP to pound sand last week!  I intend stay out until the Wing Commander, and his henchmen resign.
Ex CAP Guy!

vmstan

I've been absent from about October until a couple of weeks ago. After some disagreements with some things that were going on the in the squadron, I'd decided to transfer to another one in the area, however, time, work and personal events (and KU basketball) kept me from transferring and I recently decided to return to my original squadron.

Strange looks, indeed.

I decided that if I wanted things to chance, I needed to be a catalyst for the change I seeked... and not just sit around waiting for someone else to do things.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: SARJunkie on February 12, 2011, 01:43:49 PM
I actually told CAP to pound sand last week!  I intend stay out until the Wing Commander, and his henchmen resign.

If my observations of wingcos and their staff are any indication, you'll be out quite a while.

Do you live near enough to a state line that you could join a unit in another state?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

bosshawk

SARJunkie: your telling CAP to pound sand could easily been written by me.  I haven't turned  a shovel in CAP since early December and I have notified my Sq CC that I will be history on 1 March.  18 years down the tube because the Wing CC and his henchmen have all of the personal skills of a hand grenade.  If you would like more details, I'll be happy to go the PM route.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SARJunkie

Boss... im in the same boat.  17 years down the tube.  I have done nothing but good for the organization, donated several thousands of dollars in equipment, and time.   The Wing Command staff has totally ran away all the 'good guys' who know their stuff, and are professionals.  Many of which actually do emergency services, EMS, LE, Fire, EM  etc as their real job.  The top three in the Wing only listen to their friends, who of course have no real ES experience, and ignore the rest.   Its not just in ES but for all facets of the Wing.  The Wing Vice dosent give a [darn] who he pisses off, or who he offends.  Many good people have left because of them!
Ex CAP Guy!

tarheel gumby

Took a break for about 19 years, I returned when my youngest son wanted to join, as a cadet.
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

PHall

Quote from: bosshawk on February 13, 2011, 01:36:48 AM
SARJunkie: your telling CAP to pound sand could easily been written by me.  I haven't turned  a shovel in CAP since early December and I have notified my Sq CC that I will be history on 1 March.  18 years down the tube because the Wing CC and his henchmen have all of the personal skills of a hand grenade.  If you would like more details, I'll be happy to go the PM route.

His term is up in 8 months, why not renew and see what the new guy will do?