Need advice from any LEO's (police officers)

Started by Smoothice, September 17, 2010, 03:00:52 PM

Smoothice

Hello,
I was contemplating changing careers and looking into law enforcement. I do not have any Veteran experience, but I wonder, how would being an active CAP member (Ground Team/Aircrew/Pilot) look on the application? Would that put me in any higher bracket???

Also, any advice you might have would be great! I am college educated...the only downside is I am 37...there are towns in my state that WILL accept my age, so long as I can pass the physical (should be no problem there)

thanks!

Persona non grata

Put down any specialized training you have, regardless of where you got it from.  When I got hired the review board looked at my volunteer service.   
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

Eclipse

Nothing positive on a resume is ever a detractor, but it isn't going to change your place in line.

All the LEA's in my area give preferential treatment (at least during the initial exams) to current / former military and current / former PD/FD.
CAP is a lot of things, but it is none of those.  Our training is appropriate for our missions, but pales in comparison to the discipline and training required at a PD academy or BMT / tech schools.

"That Others May Zoom"

James Shaw

As an HR professional I look at all of the information that is relavent to the job being applied for. If you are applying for a LEA and have a Master Rating in Cadet Programs than I would put it in but only if I had the extra room. If I was rated in Emergency Services or Communications than that would be viewed very differently. I would try to include it in there somewhere.

There is a big difference in what an employer is wanting to see and what we consider as valid. I received some "kudos" for my CAP involvement in ES from a job interview but only token comments in the AE and CP stuff I have done. They wanted to know how my "ES" volunteer work applied to the job I was applying for.

As another word of caution. Many applications will ask for honors, awards, and such. Only list the major ones you have with CAP if you list any at all. You can overload the thing. I received an application several years ago and the Boy Scout Awards listed were longer than the real resume information.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

a2capt

Well, Cadet Programs experience could very well be applied toward dealing with youth in the line of police work, too.  Especially if there are officers attached to schools, community centers, etc.

Ned

As a former cop, my thoughts are that it can help, but I wouldn't count on it for a "slam dunk."

IOW, given two applicants of similar qualifications (clean background, similar education, work experience, etc.), CAP experience can be helpful because it can show community involvement,that you can wear a uniform properly, work with a team in stressful situations, etc.

But it is a volunteer, part time gig, so I would still add anything else I could in these tough times to put you over the top.

Things like Spanish/Vietnamese/whatever language classes, a sub-50 minute 10k time, some LE classes at the local JC, work as a reserve/auxiliary officer, etc.

Good luck!

Ned Lee
Former Cop

Lawson

When I was first picked up as an LEO, I dont think my CAP experience was even considered. However; I had worked in a few non-commissioned police dept. roles, which likely played the bigger part.

For the few agencies I applied and tested for, my CAP experience was never brought up.

However; with all this said, whether or not CAP helps gets you hired, when you do finally get picked up, CAP experience may definitely help you in your career. I prided myself on having one of the sharpest uniforms, knowing drill and ceremony for special events, etc...

Good luck to you!

Smoothice

Thanks for all the replys so far...interesting points.

I was not really looking to use CAP as a bargining chip. I was more curious if it was worth mentioning.

It will be a long process, but I am looking forward to the challenge!

:clap:

Flying Pig

I would DEFINITELY put down anything related to your aviation or Mission Pilot experience.  Shows your ability to be technical and follow regs.  Much like having a degree shows your ability to see things through to the end, etc.  Both combined would be great.  Especially if the department has aviation.  If they dont, I would just put FAA Commercial/Instrument rated, 1500hrs. etc. If they do, maybe go into a little more detail without making it look like you are trying out for ASU on day 1.

CAP really never came up in ANY of my LE hiring.  I have worked for 3 agencies.  I got into LE at age 23 right out of the Marines.  Putting it down for volunteer experience would be about it.  It will probably come up more if/when you get into backgrounds.  I would not worry about your age.  I was in the academy with a number of people who were between 35-45.  Not a big deal. But I would not wait much longer though.  However your ability to stay in good physical shape will be key, especially since you are older.  You will be PT'ing with people 10+ yrs younger than you.  In my experience with recruiting, what kept older applicants out was their terrible physical condition.  Beyond that, nobody really cared about age.

Life experience is what you will have going for you. Married with kids possibly? That means a lot.  As an FTO myself, there was a HUGE difference in watching an older married trainees with kids deal with domestic issues or with kids. Nothing funnier than watching a 22yr old single officer who just moved out on his own try to give marital advice to a couple who had been married for 25 years and were sick of each other.  Or deal with a child issue having never had kids. ie. "My kid wont get up for school Mr officer, I want you to come to my house and get him up."

Departments hiring procedures are as diverse as the patches and badges they wear.  One may think CAP is awesome and put you in a totally separate category and another could care less.  I would mention it, but let them expand if they want to.  Keep in mind, there are also agencies out there who DO NOT like volunteer organizations for a myriad of reasons.  But I would have to think as a generality, CAP isnt going to put you in any different bracket but it isnt going to hurt you.  But you dont want it to look like being a volunteer is the only experience you have.  In my 13 yrs, the only thing that puts you in any different category is being a current employ of the city/county, lateral officer transfer or a veteran.  Most of what CAP has to offer, ES, Youth Programs, etc could help out once you get in as far as applying for special assignments but probably wont do much for you in the initial hiring.

RiverAux

Even if it doesn't help you get hired, it serves as sort of an announcement that you are actively participating in CAP.  Obviously CAP isn't going to trump your real job, but it might make it easier at some point in the future if you ask for a little time off for CAP activities.  Of course that is really going to be more dependent on who your direct supervisor is than whoever is doing the hiring.  If you are in a state where there are laws for CAP-related leave you should really make sure it is on the application. 

C-150

Your CAP background may not help, but will not hurt either. Sounds vague I know. List the ES and Operational elements then discuss the CP side if mentioned. The major LEA in my area is the city police dept and they have had a serious problem with recruitment and retention. The last class had over 1200 applicants of which 40 were chosen to start school. Of those 40 recruits 22 hit the street as sworn officers. Here they are looking for anything in your background that would indicate a commitment. By that I mean your CAP service may show that your are committed to doing a job and doing it well. They want to make sure they are going to have you for the long haul. They invest a lot of bucks into training and to have you wash out, fail or just quit after being trained makes the losses mount. Show them you are serious and committed. If you don't get hired the first time....apply again. I know some guys that were hired on their second or third application.