Main Menu

Memorial Day Parade

Started by snpotratz, May 31, 2010, 09:01:59 PM

snpotratz

I wanted to share my experience today as encouragement for you:

Recently I heard a local radio host talking to the ROTC commander on her show so, on a whim, I called her and asked if we could be on.  She came and visited our meeting the next week and continued to come for several weeks afterwards.  The third week, she brought a retired Chief Warrant Officer.  He was so impressed with our cadets he invited us to be a part of the Memorial Day parade - the first in Bozeman, Montana since the early 60's. 

This morning we lined up behind the Boy Scouts (which made us look even better as they sauntered down the street while we marched in perfect formation).  As we made our way down Main St. as the 2nd to last element of the parade, the crowds started applauding and calling out to each other that the Civil Air Patrol was coming.  For over a mile we were cheered on as our Cadet Commander called out cadence.  The best part: half way through there was a review stand full of Gold Star Families (those who'd lost a loved on in the war).  We stopped, executed a right face, snapped a perfect salute, then made a left facing movement and continued marching to the end of the parade.

We expected a few hundred to actually show up at the parade, but instead it was attended by the thousands.  The cadets, and us Senior Members, were thrilled to be part of a ceremony honoring our lost warriors.  Dozens of vets came up to us to say thank you and more than one cadet was moved at their stories and encouragement to keep serving our Great country.

Keep vigilant all!

SM Steven Potratz
AEO and Personnel Officer
Bozeman Composite Squadron
Capt. Steven Potratz
Deputy Commander | RMR-MT-037
Director of Safety | MTWG

cap235629

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

RADIOMAN015

There's a lot of units participating in Memorial Day parades and cemetary ceremonies.  This is most gratifying and all should be saluted for their efforts :clap: :clap: :clap:

I know that my squadron's Color Guard & some cadets & senior members marched in the local city Memorial Day parade today, and it's been many years since that was done.

Please try to remember our fallen servicemen/women everyday in your activities.   Thanks again!
RM   

RickRutledge

HOORAH! If there was that much hype about you guys as you marched, you are doing one heck of a job keeping a high-profile in the community. Hats off to you!
Maj. Rick Rutledge
Wing Public Affairs Officer
Oklahoma Wing
Broken Arrow Composite Squadron
Commander
Civil Air Patrol
(Cadet 1996-2001)

vmstan

MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

Earhart1971

Excellent showing of a CAP Unit.

I was watching the Military Channel during the weekend and there was a Memorial Day parade in Washington Televised. Did anyone see a CAP Unit in that parade?

snpotratz

Quote from: Earhart1971 on June 04, 2010, 02:06:05 AM
Excellent showing of a CAP Unit.

I was watching the Military Channel during the weekend and there was a Memorial Day parade in Washington Televised. Did anyone see a CAP Unit in that parade?

I didn't see one.  Tons of Young Marines though...
Capt. Steven Potratz
Deputy Commander | RMR-MT-037
Director of Safety | MTWG