BS (boy scout) ribbon

Started by SAR junkie, August 08, 2005, 10:45:18 PM

SAR junkie

if i recall there is a regulation reguarding a ribbon that boy scouts can wear if they have gotten that award or something like that (im a girl scout so i dont know that much about BS)

but i am a bit curious as to why there is not a special ribbon for girl scouts to wear. if there is one for boyscouts there should also be one for the girl scouts seeing as how this is a co ed orgainization.

correct me if im wrong or out of line but i think it is a fair question. the projects the boy scouts have, there are projects the girl scouts have of equal value but we dont get recognized for it?

???
C/MSgt Caliguiri
C/CC
Centenary Composite Squadron ~KY058~

search and rescue all the way!

arajca

What award?

As far as I know, there is no ribbon anyone can get for receiving any scout awards - Boy or Girl. The only ribbon that comes close would be the community service ribbon, but only because cadets performed community service as a part of the scouts - again, Boy or Girl doesn't matter - and the scout leader has signed a letter stating such.

There was a discussion about trying to implement something like that, but it hasn't reached National as far as I can tell. One of the points brought up was how can you limit it to just one organization - BSA - and not recognize GS, other cadet corps, etc.

Major_Chuck

I think you are correct.  Community Service.

-CC
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

SAR junkie

looking it up...

http://level2.cap.gov/documents/M39_1_chap_6_sec_B.pdf

ok so its not a ribbon but it is a patch that can be worn on the CAP uniform (BDUs). on my adobe it is page 8. and item 11.

Boy Scouts of America Aviation Explorer Patch

it also says that it is only worn by  jointly chartered CAP/BSA cadet squadron only.

i apologize.
C/MSgt Caliguiri
C/CC
Centenary Composite Squadron ~KY058~

search and rescue all the way!

BillB

The only non-CAP or military ribbons authorized are fro JAFROTC. That's Jr Air Force ROTC only, and does NOT include Jr Army or Navy ROTC.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

MIKE

Quote from: BillB on August 08, 2005, 11:43:50 PM
The only non-CAP or military ribbons authorized are fro JAFROTC. That's Jr Air Force ROTC only, and does NOT include Jr Army or Navy ROTC.

Incorrect.

Quote from: CAPR 52-166-1. CAP POLICY FOR JROTC. The following policy reflects an expansion of the relationship between the CAP
Cadet Program and Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (JROTC) programs. The CAP Cadet Program and JROTC
organizations of the armed services (Air Force JROTC, Army JROTC, Navy JROTC, and Marine Corps JROTC) are
complementary and mutually supporting. CAP encourages support of JROTC through dual membership of CAP cadets
whenever possible. ...

d. CAP cadets may wear the following awards earned through their JROTC participation:
1) CAP cadets are limited to wear any three JROTC ribbons on the CAP uniform (placements of JROTC
ribbons are found in CAPM 39-l, CAP Uniform Manual). No other JROTC specialty badges or devices are authorized
unless found in CAPM 39-1. JROTC aerospace (ASI), military (MSI), or naval science instructors (NSI) will certify
the authority to wear the JROTC ribbons.

Also,  It's AFJROTC.
Mike Johnston

pixelwonk

Quote from: SAR junkie on August 08, 2005, 11:42:35 PM
looking it up...

http://level2.cap.gov/documents/M39_1_chap_6_sec_B.pdf

ok so its not a ribbon but it is a patch that can be worn on the CAP uniform (BDUs). on my adobe it is page 8. and item 11.

Boy Scouts of America Aviation Explorer Patch

it also says that it is only worn by jointly chartered CAP/BSA cadet squadron only.

i apologize.

You can qualify for the community service ribbon, if you feel like you just gotta have that extra ribbon.

With regards to the Aviation Explorer patch, it's not only Boy Scouts.  IIRC, Explorers can be male or female.  Just look at all the female LE Explorers out there.  (Many of them being more highspeed than the males too.)

Matt

I would have to concur with the good Major.  They are more high speed, a cadet from West Bend proves that.  I'm both and Eagle and a venturer.  BS-wise one can actually, if they wanted wear a CAP patch on their uniform also, just has to be placed on the right pocket (same place as a squadron patch on the BDU's).

As for earning the Comm. Service for being in scouts, I'm all for it, just not to the extent of which hours can be counted for comm service within scouts.  When I did my Eagle I found something interesting, that I can count the total hours of my project for my own.  I can honestly say that's rather ludicris to be able to claim 119 hours, for a few days worth of work, hence why I don't have that ribbon.
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>