Main Menu

USAF blues

Started by PWK-GT, July 13, 2005, 03:53:58 AM

PWK-GT

Anybody know of a place that STOCKS the AF blue trousers?? I ordered twice from CRAPMART, and keep getting trousers that don't fit properly. Even by their sizing......."You need a size 36"--VOILA! Size 36 doesn't fit! "We're sorry, you really need a size 38" VOILA! 38 doesn't fit :-\. After 2 different refunds, and 4 weeks of waiting......I tried The Hock. But alas, they are apparently waiting for peace to be declared in the Middle East before they have any common sizes in stock :'(. Backordered with no idea when they'll ever get them.......3 more weeks wasted. Now I need them in the next 4 weeks for a Wing meeting. >:( As a newer SM, I normally use the BDU's-as that's what our Sqdn uses normally.
Any ideas??
BTW-- My Group ES officer told me to never pay the $175 for the USAF flight suit (NOMEX), as they can be found (even used) for much cheaper. He neglected to mention where I can find them. Until I hear back from him, any ideas there??
"Is it Friday yet"

arajca

I recommend Googling for "AF Blue uniform trousers" and see what comes up. I have found all kinds of items like that - although you will probably find many interesting diversions. ;D

shorning

Quote from: griggs5113 on July 13, 2005, 03:53:58 AM
Anybody know of a place that STOCKS the AF blue trousers??

Air Force, Air Force Reserve, and Air National Guard bases usually have a store where they sell uniforms.  There are even a couple in Illinois.

Pace

eBay, eBay, eBay!!!  If they ain't got it, you don't need it!
Lt Col, CAP

PWK-GT

I have tried all the obvious ones ::)..........ebay ain't got em, nearest BX is 4 hrs away, and Googling turned up nothing.
Still looking..........
"Is it Friday yet"

Bluelakes 13

Keep an eye on Ebay daily.  Things pop up every week.

In the past 6 months I have purchased TWO service jackets, 2 flight suites, 1 lt wt jacket, 1 sweater, 1 trousers, and enough patches/ribbons/badges to overfill my closet.  And all for less that half Capmart/Hock costs. (Jackets were $30!!!)

2Lt. James Kalemis
Deputy Commander Seniors, IL-263
PAO, Group 14

profdan

CAPM 39-1 lists AAFES (Army and Air Force Exchange Service) as an option.

"CAP members may order by phone, using a credit card, from the AAFES catalog; however, the member must first contact AAFES customer service and provide a copy of their CAP membership card in order to be entered into the AAFES system. Only uniform items may be ordered from the catalog."

"AAFES Customer Service can be reached by calling 1-800-527-2345."

I just ordered my blues from CAPMart; so, I'm interested in comparing my experiences with yours.

Westernslope

Is the problem that you can't find the proper size from CAPMart and you are trying to find a place where you can try them on to find the proper size?  If this is the case, ordering on line will not help until you know what size is needed. 

I can never get a size that fit me properly, from AAFES or CAPMart - one size was too small and the next size too large.  I finally purchased larger sizes and had them tailored to fit me.

Major_Chuck

This is why I don't shop for clothes off the internet.  The cut for military clothing is smaller than what is worn in the civilian world.  Don't know why but even uniform items I've gotten from all the sources they run smaller.

Hock Shop purchases from CAPMart so if you are trying to avoid the quality of the goods sold through CAPMart you're not going to be able to do it.

My suggestion, make the 4 hour trip, plan a day around it, and physically go to a clothing sales store and try on the uniform items before you buy them.

-CC
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

PWK-GT

Quote from: jkalemis on July 13, 2005, 02:51:13 PM

In the past 6 months I have purchased TWO service jackets, 2 flight suites, 1 lt wt jacket, 1 sweater, 1 trousers, and enough patches/ribbons/badges to overfill my closet.  And all for less that half Capmart/Hock costs. (Jackets were $30)

All those clothes for the guy wearing shorts in a C-172??? :D Just kidding, LT-- but I do read the Blog daily! ;D
Advice taken, but now the clock has really wound down to where I might have to drive to get them. Good to know about the Hock buying them from CRAPMART........I'll just cancel the order.
"Is it Friday yet"

Xeno

Well, the local military surplus store here carries AF Blues on occassion so if you have one near you I'd check there as well. If not then you might just have to make a four hour trip, unfortunately.

As for flight suits, RangerJoes sell sells milspec AF flight suits that are very fairly priced, the catch is... they aren't NOMEX.
http://www.rangerjoes.com/product_info.php?cPath=52_240&products_id=1048

If you don't really care about the material then check 'em out. Otherwise, ebay is great when you can find them on there, also check the good 'ol military surplus stores around your area.

Good luck to you Sir.
C/1st Lt. Josh Sims
C/CC SWR-AR-095

121.5 -- If you crash, we will dash...

SarDragon

Quote from: Xeno on July 14, 2005, 04:39:22 AM
Well, the local military surplus store here carries AF Blues on occassion so if you have one near you I'd check there as well. If not then you might just have to make a four hour trip, unfortunately.

As for flight suits, RangerJoes sell sells milspec AF flight suits that are very fairly priced, the catch is... they aren't NOMEX.
http://www.rangerjoes.com/product_info.php?cPath=52_240&products_id=1048
[image redacted]

If you don't really care about the material then check 'em out. Otherwise, ebay is great when you can find them on there, also check the good 'ol military surplus stores around your area.

Good luck to you Sir.

If it ain't Nomex, it ain't a flight suit, only a wanna-be. The tag should say something like "Coveralls, Flyer, Men, Fire-resistant", and have an NSN and a contract number.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Bluelakes 13

Quote from: griggs5113 on July 14, 2005, 02:48:03 AM

All those clothes for the guy wearing shorts in a C-172??? :D Just kidding, LT-- but I do read the Blog daily! ;D
Advice taken, but now the clock has really wound down to where I might have to drive to get them. Good to know about the Hock buying them from CRAPMART........I'll just cancel the order.

LOL, isn't shorts and a NESA shirt THE uniform for flying????

PWK-GT

Quote from: jkalemis on July 14, 2005, 02:47:36 PM
Quote from: griggs5113 on July 14, 2005, 02:48:03 AM

LOL, isn't shorts and a NESA shirt THE uniform for flying????

Well, if not, it certainly SHOULD be!!! :D Thanks for the input LT--I actually got a decent line on a complete 1620 uniform for a real good price...here's hoping! Gotta check out their Nomex supply before the Commander's Call.....gonna fly down for that one I think.
"Is it Friday yet"

Lamh Dearg

You should try Trader John's in S. Elgin, IL: http://www.tjosurplus.com/index.htm Trader John's typically has USAF surplus blue shirts, some in v. good condition for as low as $5. You may also be able to pick up other uniform parts there as well. If you happen to be out that way, it's worth a visit. 

If you feel like a trip up north of Chicago, you could also go to Naval Station Great Lakes and visit the Navy Exchange on the Training Center side (not the Boot Camp side of the base). The NavEx has USAF shirts and the wool/polyester blend pants (not the polyester pants). They also have enlisted service dress jackets - note they are the "enlisted" style (with epaulets) not the officer service dress jacket so don't buy one of those there - your options for an officer style service dress jacket as well as the lightweight jacket are AAFES or Scott AFB.  They also have various uniform shoe options, porometric, etc. (Note if you go to NAVSTA GL you will have to get a base access pass at the main gate - typically not a big deal though and by the way, yes, we are allowed to buy there)

shorning

Quote from: Lamh Dearg on July 16, 2005, 02:32:36 AMThey also have enlisted service dress jackets - note they are the "enlisted" style (with epaulets) not the officer service dress jacket so don't buy one of those there

Emphasis mine. 

Enlisted service coats don't have epaulets since stripes are worn on the sleeve.  Officer's service coats do since officers need somewhere to pin the insignia.

profdan

My USAF blues arrived yesterday from CAPMart. Everything I ordered was shipped, and the uniform items fit.

My first experience with CAPMart has been positive.

Dan

MIKE

Quote from: shorning on July 16, 2005, 03:44:35 AM
Quote from: Lamh Dearg on July 16, 2005, 02:32:36 AMThey also have enlisted service dress jackets - note they are the "enlisted" style (with epaulets) not the officer service dress jacket so don't buy one of those there

Emphasis mine. 

Enlisted service coats don't have epaulets since stripes are worn on the sleeve.  Officer's service coats do since officers need somewhere to pin the insignia.

Yes, that would be true if it was in reference to the new style Service Dress, but not so when referring to the old style Service Dress which remains authorized for cadets.
Mike Johnston

Lamh Dearg

"Enlisted service coats don't have epaulets since stripes are worn on the sleeve.  Officer's service coats do since officers need somewhere to pin the insignia."

You're absolutely right - I don't know what I was thinking, or not as the case may be - duh!! Thank you for correcting my silly error!

Just so that my post is now clear, Great Lakes, IL has enlisted-style service dress jackets but as rightly pointed out they are without epaulets. They don't have officer-style jackets. We had one member make that mistake already purchasing the wrong jacket.....

Major_Chuck

Here is an option that you might want to look at if you are stuck with some enlisted service coats.

A squadron in Northern Virginia was able to procure some enlisted jackets and took them to a seamstress who made took the material from one jacket and made epaulets and attached them.  Once added along with the braid on the jacket you can't tell the difference.

BTW:  Cost new of a Officers coat is something like $147 versus $88 for enlisted. 

Just an option you may want to look at.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard