Wingman Support Day Materials Posted

Started by Ed Bos, September 13, 2019, 09:14:56 PM

Ed Bos

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on September 18, 2019, 02:16:32 AM
Quote from: Ed Bos on September 17, 2019, 08:07:42 PM
Quote from: Gunsotsu on September 17, 2019, 06:36:46 PM
It isn't "gotcha," Ned, it's information that needs to be presented to prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt that the information being presented is doing so from an understanding of child psychological issues and need. Nothing in CDR Janisko's biography suggests that he is in any way qualified to speak on the topic for anyone other than adults in his realm. Cadets (children) are not little adults, their psychological needs are vastly different, even more so when you consider that a 12 year old and an 18 year old may as well be entirely different species from a mental health standpoint (not to say physiologically).

I've said my piece. It was a waste of time last year, it's still a waste of time this year. I'll be taking a mental health day the night it's required (without any supporting documentation authorizing such).

I'm curious why you chose to invoke the standard for a criminal sentencing in this case?

He didn't. The criminal standard is not "beyond a shadow of a doubt," as he wrote. It is "beyond a reasonable doubt."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

Fester

Quote from: Larry Mangum on September 17, 2019, 07:25:10 PM
The military as a whole is grappling with reaching out to fellow sailors, soldiers, marines and airman as they cope with the stresses they are under. NHQ, is simply trying to do the same for our fellow CAP members.  Is it a perfect program, of course not, there is not a perfect program nor will there ever be one. However, even if it is not perfect, it is better than doing nothing. If the program saves one cadet's or senior member's life, then the entire program has been worth it, in my humble opinion.

If you find faults within the program, then submit recommendations on how to improve the program through the proper channels. I work in the software industry and manage a development team. We are an agile team, which means we iterate, no release is expected to be perfect, but we keep iterating and improving upon the solution, until it meets the needs of the customer or business unit.

I challenge each of you to be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Here's a fault with the program......

Kids don't learn from a PowerPoint presentation.  Period.

Also, I really am very uncomfortable with someone who has NO training, NO knowledge, and NO experience in child psychology or child mental healthcare facilitating this at the local level.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Toad1168

Bravo on actually loading a PowerPoint presentation instead of the PDF versions that are impossible to scroll through.  :clap:

On a serious note, Let's try to criticize less and look at what NHQ is trying to do here.  We need to look at the welfare of our members as a whole.  And if this saves one life, its worth it. 
Toad

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Toad1168 on September 18, 2019, 01:45:17 PM
And if this saves one life, its worth it.

So...throwing darts in the dark and patting each other on the back? Got it.

Luis R. Ramos

Those of us stating our concerns are looking out for our members! If the age level of the materials, for instance, is as stated at a "second grade level," our members will not pay attention at the presentation and there will be no lesson learned, no matter how important / relevant / great / opportune it is.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Ned

Quote from: Fester on September 18, 2019, 06:18:19 AM

Here's a fault with the program......

Kids don't learn from a PowerPoint presentation.  Period.

There is, of course, no shortage of academic research on effective teaching methods for junior and senior high school students.  And I'm sure you will not be surprised that whether it is old school filmstrips, overheads, PowerPoint, Prezi, SlideShare, Haiku Deck, or other, even more modern alternatives, that the key is the active participation in the learning.  Not the format of the slides.  As all of us who have participated in "death by PowerPoint" passive learning situations know all too well.   8)

Accordingly, I suspect you will be pleased to hear that the creators of the course wisely uses teacher / facilitators / presenters who follow a lesson plan designed specifically to engage the students with everything from icebreakers to discussions.  And we have asked the presenters to be pretrained by webinar conducted last week (and the recorded version is available online). 

Sounds like a win-win to me.
Also, I really am very uncomfortable with someone who has NO training, NO knowledge, and NO experience in child psychology or child mental healthcare facilitating this at the local level.

Well, as we've discussed before, our terrific volunteers are certainly not certified mental-health professionals.  But they are respected, adult mentors to whom cadets often turn for advice. 

And what they are teaching on this Wingman Day are Physical Fitness, Rest, Nutrition, and Recreation.  Each are important topics in this context, but none really require a Phd to present effectively to our members.

The lesson plans, PowerPoints, and supporting materials are all available on the NHQ Wingman Support Day page.  I encourage everyone with an interest to take a close look.  Particularly before criticizing the program.  Every educational program can be improved, and I'm sure the authors would welcome your feedback after you have reviewed the materials.

I'm looking forward to October's meeting.

SarDragon

Thank you, Ned, for your usual eloquent summation. (Something you learned in college? ;) )

On that note (A#), we will end this. The usual provision applies for resumption.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

Re-opened by request. Let's try to keep it more adult this time.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

baronet68

Bravo on actually loading a PowerPoint presentation instead of the PDF versions that are impossible to scroll through.  :clap:

Side note... "CTRL + L" in Acrobat Reader will put a PDF file into Full-Screen mode were it will perform exactly like a PowerPoint presentation (sans animation, thank goodness).
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Eclipse

Quote from: baronet68 on September 19, 2019, 10:20:27 PM

Side note... "CTRL + L" in Acrobat Reader will put a PDF file into Full-Screen mode were it will perform exactly like a PowerPoint presentation (sans animation, thank goodness).

And it should be noted that the reason NHQ does then as PDFs, is because not everyone has PowerPoint, including
on corporate laptops, and not all presentations are on on PCs anymore.

Pretty much everything these days can open a PDF, and then you can be reasonably sure the presentation is accessible
and works the same for everyone.

As noted, it works just like PPT, including using a clicker.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ed Bos

Quote from: baronet68 on September 19, 2019, 10:20:27 PM

Great tip, thanks! Also, I don't think there are any animations in the PPT version... Because they're the worst.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

TheSkyHornet

PDF is much more universal and is generally accessible on all computer platforms and mobile devices; however, with PDFs, you may lose the ability to edit and update the file if you don't have the original document or don't have advanced/pay versions of Acrobat.

etodd

QuoteAnd it should be noted that the reason NHQ does then as PDFs, is because not everyone has PowerPoint, including

As a sidetrack, I wish everyone would stop posting doc files for the same reason. Please convert to PDFs. Not everyone has MSWord or whatever and the fonts wind up being different which makes everything look horrible, and screwed up spacing.

My Wing does this constantly. 😰
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: etodd on September 22, 2019, 02:13:30 PM
QuoteAnd it should be noted that the reason NHQ does then as PDFs, is because not everyone has PowerPoint, including

As a sidetrack, I wish everyone would stop posting doc files for the same reason. Please convert to PDFs. Not everyone has MSWord or whatever and the fonts wind up being different which makes everything look horrible, and screwed up spacing.

My Wing does this constantly. 😰

And it's tacky.

Don't send out a document that opens up with little squigglies and format issues all over it. Send out the file that you want someone to see, not the file that you saw behind the scenes in the creativity lab.

arajca

Every CAP laptop distributed in the last few years comes with MS Office, Adobe Acrobat, and Acrobat Reader.

There are plenty of free programs out that will work with .docx, .xlsx, ad nauseum. Personally, I use LibreOffice. The one I have problems with is Apple's format - I can't find anything to read it with.

Format issues are the writer's problem. It's just the .pdf doesn't call them out. The spelling error marks depend on how you've customized your dictionary.

etodd

Quote from: arajca on September 22, 2019, 02:34:30 PM
Every CAP laptop distributed in the last few years comes with MS Office, Adobe Acrobat, and Acrobat Reader.

The average member does not have a CAP issued laptop, and while sitting at home and they need to open and print out a form, it would just make life a whole lot easier if the posted file was a pdf.  The last couple of doc files I downloaded had the spacing and fonts all screwed up so bad, I didn't even bother trying to correct it. Just filled in the info to the side and signed it in some weird place and turned it in. If they complain, I'll bring up the pdf idea. LOL
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

baronet68

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 22, 2019, 02:12:20 PM
PDF is much more universal and is generally accessible on all computer platforms and mobile devices; however, with PDFs, you may lose the ability to edit and update the file if you don't have the original document or don't have advanced/pay versions of Acrobat.

If you have a PDF file that needs some small tweak and you can't edit it, send it to mmoore [at] adobe [dot] com and I'll see what I can do to help.

Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager