USAF Uniform Store Trade-Ins

Started by AvroArrow, February 13, 2010, 04:11:44 PM

AvroArrow

Hello,

I attained a "USAF Blue Lightweight Jacket" from a unifrom store within the USAFA last year (during the COWG Encampment). I bought the jacket slightly larger than my typical size in hopes that I'd grow into it.

I have all the items that came with the original purchase (jacket, liner, and hanger) and they're in good condition (I've worn the jacket only twice). I do not however have the receipt and nor am I a 'military dependent.' I obtained the jacket through CAP membership.

Since I think that I've stopped growing and would like to trade the jacket for a smaller size, I was wondering if that's possible. Would they exchange the large jacket for a smaller one at discount or for free?

Much appreciated!

(Also, if it makes any difference, the store was AAFES.)

Gunner C

AAFES generally has a VERY liberal return policy, but I don't think that you can do it after 6 months.  If you've worn it, you've pretty much bought it.  You can call up AAFES in San Antonio (if their headquarters is still there) and ask about returns or, if you can find the number of the USAFA store, call there.

It's tough buying uniforms as a cadet - in the years 12 - 18 you're going to grow quite a bit.  Buying optional items like a windbreaker is a crap shoot.  I bought one when they originally came out.  I found my size, got the next larger size, and it worked for several years.  But everyone grows differently.

Spike

Quote from: AvroArrow on February 13, 2010, 04:11:44 PM
Hello,

I attained a "USAF Blue Lightweight Jacket" from a unifrom store within the USAFA last year (during the COWG Encampment). I bought the jacket slightly larger than my typical size in hopes that I'd grow into it.

I have all the items that came with the original purchase (jacket, liner, and hanger) and they're in good condition (I've worn the jacket only twice). I do not however have the receipt and nor am I a 'military dependent.' I obtained the jacket through CAP membership.

Since I think that I've stopped growing and would like to trade the jacket for a smaller size, I was wondering if that's possible. Would they exchange the large jacket for a smaller one at discount or for free?

Much appreciated!

(Also, if it makes any difference, the store was AAFES.)

Would foot locker take back your shoes if you "outgrow them"??  Would Kmart take back your Cd's after you burned them onto your computer??
Would Walmart take back your ballcap because your head got bigger??

I seriously doubt you can return your item.  If you do, that would be an issue of integrity.  No sales clerk at an AAFES store would accept "no receipt, got it last year and grew out of it".  If you lie, then YES you can return it, but that is a decision you need to make and be comfortable with.

Honestly, I would laugh you out of the store, should you come to me to return your jacket with your reasoning.

vmstan

I'm with Spike. If you bought it a week or two ago, heck maybe even a month if you don't wear it that often... and then later realized it wasn't going to fit... then I could justify taking it back.

A year later, it's yours.

You could probably find someone to buy it from you on here, or maybe someone else in your unit? What size is it? I'm actually on the lookout for one of them myself.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

SarDragon

For the record, it appears that he never grew into it, not outgrew it. Otherwise I agree on the integrity issue.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret