Main Menu

unit website development

Started by dogboy, May 24, 2009, 06:40:57 PM

dogboy

I've been tasked to develop a new unit website. Apparently, there is no template that is to be used.

If you know of a good CAP unit website that I can get ideas from, I would appreciate it if you could post a link.

Thanks

CadetProgramGuy

Multiples of us have used GoDaddy or weebly to design ours.

If you are HTML friendly, you can do anything you wish.  For us HTML ignorant, I used weebly.com.  There they have pre-set templates that can be used.  It is also free.

www.dmmcs.weebly.com

For my content, I googled CAP squadrons, and borrowed what I liked.

PhoenixRisen

http://sq714.cawg.cap.gov

Here's my squadron website.  Hope it helps with ideas.  I designed it from scratch.

gistek

Earthlink still offers a free site to CAP units. You have to request it through National, and I forget the e-mail of the person to ask, but that info should be in the knowledgebase.

Earthlink includes Trellix online site editor which is reasonably flexible and easy to learn. I use it for http://www.squadron304.us

Another extremely good alternative is to start with a blog format, such as Google's Blogger or WordPress. This allows you to add new articles easily to your site and leave the older articles still available.

MOST IMPORTANT:

Be sure to read the CAP internet operations guide, CAPR-110-1. There are a couple of very important do's and don'ts.

• You must have "Civil Air Patrol" somewhere near the top of your website, preferably right underneath the squadron name.
    • There is a disclaimer that must appear on any page that has links to non-CAP websites.
    • There are also some limits on advertising. You can have discrete links to companies that support you, and so far there haven't been any problems with using ad-supported free services, but be careful that the products and ads are not objectionable in any way.

If you want a calendar, sign up for Google calendars. They allow you to "overlay" other calendars and embed the code on a page in your site. They also allow you to designate additional authorizations so others can add or edit events. These others don't have to have a gmail address, but will have to sign up for a google account using their main e-mail address.

biomed441

Freewebs is also a good site host to use. It has templates to use for non-html friendly people.  The free hosting has limitations such as bandwidth and overal site size, but its a good way to start. Or you can use their pay version which gives you much more bandwidth and site size.

A.Member

My suggestion is to use the search function.  The topic has been brought up here numerous times and many ideas shared.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Gunner C

I believe the NTC will give you free web/storage space, at least they used to.  Contact them.

sandman

Hey folks,

With the redesigned official USAF website, it looks like the CAP link is missing again!

v/r
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command