Unique CAP recruiting materials - what have you made, any good ideas?

Started by jimmydeanno, March 09, 2009, 02:36:56 PM

jimmydeanno

I was browsing through a design guide the other day about how to create "teeny-tiny brochures." I thought it might be interesting to try it out and this is what I came up with. 

Obviously, I'm not a professional, but I thought it was a good idea.

The idea is that these are business card size, tri-fold.  They'd provide just enough information to remind a person of who they talked to and what the organization was about.  It would also include local contact information.

I thought the tri-fold was perfect because of our three missions (there was a bi-fold section in the guide).

Have you made something similar or something else unique for recruiting materials?  Do you have any ideas that you thought might be neat?  I'd be interested in seeing some of the things you've come up with.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

davidsinn

Could you point out the guide so I rip you off borrow your idea?  ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Al Sayre

Looks great, but the blue and grey backgrounds will probably kill a printer cartridge in a hurry.

I wish NHQ would produce one that was mostly black and white and didn't require glossy or odd sized paper, so a small unit could run off 100 or so on their local inkjet printer for next to nothing and still have some decent looking materials...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

NIN

Leave a white box on the back so that someone can write an email address, phone number or web URL in there with a pen, if need be.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Al Sayre on March 09, 2009, 05:24:35 PM
Looks great, but the blue and grey backgrounds will probably kill a printer cartridge in a hurry.

I thought about that, but the resource mentioned why it is important to have the colors and why to incorporate them.  I suppose that the grey could be removed in favor of white, but I don't think it would have the same impact.   Plus, if you did that, you'd have to print some in magenta and yellow to use the rest of the cartridge :)

Quote from: NIN on March 09, 2009, 06:31:57 PM
Leave a white box on the back so that someone can write an email address, phone number or web URL in there with a pen, if need be.

I thought about that too.  I just didn't put it there.  I figured make it a standard label size white box so someone could mass produce the labels and stick them.  But if you're printing them you can just add it on the original. (see new attachment)

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

TEAM SURGE

It seems like you would have the Dates and what we did for the last two year.
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

Al Sayre

You could print in Black ink on blue paper.  A ream is only about $4 at the local office supply.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: Al Sayre on March 09, 2009, 09:15:57 PM
You could print in Black ink on blue paper.  A ream is only about $4 at the local office supply.

How many is a ream?
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

TEAM SURGE

C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

SarDragon

Quote from: Al Sayre on March 09, 2009, 09:15:57 PM

But then you lose all the white areas. Printers don't print white.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Al Sayre

You use a light shade of blue paper and the  "Black & White"settings on your printer, and halftone any photos.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

jimmydeanno

I think the better idea would be to design the material for the printing that you were going to do.  If I was printing on blue or gray, I wouldn't use white, yellow or any other lighter color.

I printed a few of these off at work on the color laser on card stock, then cut them out with a paper cutter and folded them.  They actually look pretty decent.  I might play with the typeface a bit, it's a very soft typeface and doesn't exactly command a presence.