Who qualifies to be called a CAP Medical Officer?

Started by ascorbate, January 11, 2009, 06:05:55 PM

hatentx

I see no issue as long as the Vet is working in a field for the promotion.  While what is one your collar really means nothing in the big scheme of things in CAP the idea of giving them a little more for their accomplishments is fine by me.  How ever the waviered promotion is a different discussion all together. 

If I am hurt as long as someone knows what they are doing is helping me then sounds good.  Vet or a MD, as long as I am going to live.

Eclipse

Quote from: hatentx on January 12, 2009, 02:57:31 AM
If I am hurt as long as someone knows what they are doing is helping me then sounds good.  Vet or a MD, as long as I am going to live.

In the context of a unit Medical Officer, neither is likely to help you unless you happen to have a grabber during a unit meeting, and then only until local EMS arrives.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Quite frankly, not a single one of those duties requires any real medical training that you can't get through the Red Cross. 

All the doctors in CAP I know are all great guys and gals and all have contributed significantly to CAP, but nothing they have done has related to the medical field that I am aware of.  Yep, thats just my narrow field of experience, but it is what it is. 

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on January 12, 2009, 03:56:19 AM
All the doctors in CAP I know are all great guys and gals and all have contributed significantly to CAP, but nothing they have done has related to the medical field that I am aware of.  Yep, thats just my narrow field of experience, but it is what it is.

+1

I can't think of a single duty that an MO would handle that wouldn't normally be done by Safety or anyone serving as an HSO.

The biggest place they could have an impact would be flight physicals, and though I'd have to go looking to see if a unit MO is allowed to give them, I've never met a qualified flight surgeon in CAP willing to give them, regardless.  Most I've dealt with want to seperate CAP from their professional lives for various reasons.

"That Others May Zoom"

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: Eclipse on January 12, 2009, 04:09:33 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on January 12, 2009, 03:56:19 AM

+1

I can't think of a single duty that an MO would handle that wouldn't normally be done by Safety or anyone serving as an HSO.

The biggest place they could have an impact would be flight physicals, and though I'd have to go looking to see if a unit MO is allowed to give them, I've never met a qualified flight surgeon in CAP willing to give them, regardless.  Most I've dealt with want to seperate CAP from their professional lives for various reasons.

^ +1
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

flyerthom

Quote from: Timbo on January 11, 2009, 10:07:20 PM
^ Vets and MD's learn the same basic stuff.  I think Vet's are on there because they have a Medical Degree at the Doctorate level.  You would be surprised how similar a Cat and Cadet are.     

It's easier to deal with the cat  >:D
TC

Timbo

Quote from: flyerthom on January 13, 2009, 12:32:46 AM
Quote from: Timbo on January 11, 2009, 10:07:20 PM
^ Vets and MD's learn the same basic stuff.  I think Vet's are on there because they have a Medical Degree at the Doctorate level.  You would be surprised how similar a Cat and Cadet are.     
It's easier to deal with the cat  >:D

Cats can be thrown further too!

SAR-EMT1

How many Med Officers does CAP have though? I mean, is this REALLY an issue?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

JayT

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on January 19, 2009, 07:16:12 AM
How many Med Officers does CAP have though? I mean, is this REALLY an issue?

I think it's an issue when you have activity directors or what not appointing cadets and senior members as "Medical Officers" who may be first aiders or what not.

I'm an EMT who's patially through ALS training, and precious little of what I learned in the Academy prepares for for anything I may routinely deal with at CAP activities.
(I've never popped a blister during a car accident or a chest pain run.)

But, I do believe in a CAP medical program, and starting at the top (the doctors) and working our way down (to us lowely dull expression types, the medical techs) we could develope a comprehensive, and useful medical program.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."