Main Menu

Unit Web Site Resources?

Started by JC004, August 13, 2008, 07:20:32 PM

JC004

Do any wings out there provide resources for their subordinate unit webmasters?  A guide?  A web site?  I know GAWG had a guide, but I was never able to get my hands on that. 

I'm trying to do a dashboard of resources for unit webmasters in PAWG.

LittleIronPilot

Quote from: JC004 on August 13, 2008, 07:20:32 PM
I know GAWG had a guide, but I was never able to get my hands on that. 

We did? Heck I never saw it, or heard of it, and I am my squadrons IT officer!

JC004

Yes, I saw a link to it, which was broken.  I asked about it and was told that it was being revised.

IceNine

I would use and sell your guide if you made one ;D

Seriously though, the style guides that you all joke about would be awesome.  And yes I'm pointing my finger at you Pylon!  even if you can't get anyone to help you :D
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

JC004

The style guide is a whole different ballgame.

I'm trying to work something for webmasters right now, when an emphases on resources to help plan, deploy, and/or improve a unit's site without needing to take a course or spend hours researching web development resources.

IceNine

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

JC004

I'm probably going to put it behind an area for members only and probably give passwords to people out of wing as well.  Some of the stuff that I give out for the units to use is proprietary, which I use for my company.   

Pylon

Quote from: IceNine on August 13, 2008, 08:28:13 PM
Seriously though, the style guides that you all joke about would be awesome.  And yes I'm pointing my finger at you Pylon!  even if you can't get anyone to help you :D

Hey, I like my ideas but I don't have enough hours in the day to personally implement them all.  ;-)   But again, even if I churn out half of them, I guess that means I've been more productive than quite a few other people with fancy titles and bigger paychecks.   :D

The style guide and branding efforts for national CAP are on my to-do list.  My employer seems to like my design work, so I'm not worried about that - it's simply an enormous amount of time.   Time that sometimes gets wasted.   I designed a medal for the recently approved "CAP Achievement Medal" within days of it being approved at the NB - a much better looking design than the one that had been proposed at the time, and one that linked its heritage to the existing AF medal of the same variety.  The proposal moved up the chain and then-Brig Gen Courter looked at it and asked that it be passed on to the national volunteer members in charge of that....  except that they never bothered to return any of the emails.  So my work wasn't ever even considered. 

Pretty frustrating to see an organization that needs more help than most shanty towns consistently ignore offers of help from capable hands within its own ranks.   Politics and personal pride just kill this organization.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

JC004

Adding to your to-do list, the updated commanders guide project.  ttys   ;)

Capt Rivera

Provided by Network for Good

Nonprofit 911 is a free training series on nonprofit marketing and online fundraising, supported by Network for Good and our guest speakers.

http://www.fundraising123.org/training

I have learned and am learning a lot from the trainings... You can call in Live for free or listen to the achieves... They even post slides and the text of the entire conversation.

At the end of each training, callers can ask questions directly to the speaker....

Although they are geared to helping non profits raise money online, just about all the info they give you will help you online and offline.
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

jimmydeanno

I'm not sure if you guys might find this website helpful, but it is "Before and After Magazine." It offers style advice and critiques publications, websites, etc.

http://www.bamagazine.com/

I've found it useful when desgning things like business cards, pamphlets, etc.  They have advice for websites too.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Pylon

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 14, 2008, 08:23:02 PM
I'm not sure if you guys might find this website helpful, but it is "Before and After Magazine." It offers style advice and critiques publications, websites, etc.

http://www.bamagazine.com/

I've found it useful when desgning things like business cards, pamphlets, etc.  They have advice for websites too.

Sadly, those are things CAP squadrons are expected to reinvent over and over again at the local level instead of being professionally done once by National.  Squadrons should have to worry about implementing their programs and doing things that can't be done by National.  Unfortunately, we get the added (and very, very unnecessary) burden of having to create and print our own business cards, design host and maintain our own websites, create our own fliers, and reinvent the wheel eight different ways to Sunday.

I guess National sees no value in having a professional image at the local level.  The squadrons that are the exception usually are the ones with, by miracle of happenstance, a capable designer as a member.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

JC004

Good couple things there that I haven't seen before.

PYLON...there is a conspiracy growing to fix national.  Worry not.  The next phase is getting a crap load of pitchforks and torches for our trip to NHQ.  I love angry mobs.