WHO IS HELPING? "Defending the United States from Hijacked Airplanes"

Started by Capt Rivera, May 26, 2008, 01:43:44 AM

Capt Rivera

Defending the United States from Hijacked Airplanes
Click to watch video (3 min):

http://aimpoints.hq.af.mil/video/Noble%20Eagle.wmv

Anyone else annoyed that news people almost never say who we are, and when they "attempt" to, they butcher it so bad that no one could find us anyway... How hard is it to say Civil Air Patrol?

//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

CASH172

They didn't even mention which unit the KC-135 came from so I'm not too saddened.

Capt Rivera

Quote from: CASH172 on May 26, 2008, 02:21:47 AM
They didn't even mention which unit the KC-135 came from so I'm not too saddened.

I just figured at least one of the MANY times they said the word/name Cessna they could have mentioned Civil Air Patrol... no need to mention, squadron, region or wing... just CAP.... Hell, they could have at least said that the pilots of the Cessna were civilians and not AF personnel....

Just an assumption, but the footage was probably from the same flight the reporter was on... they could have at least placed a caption at the botem since our pilots & NHQ was nice enough to incur the additional responsibility/liability/etc of flying the camera man...   

They did mention that the other planes (F-16 & KC-135) belonged to the USAF. 

Funny thing, I didn't pay attention to which news network did it, but at the end, I assumed it was Fox... I restarted the video and guess what... it was Fox News...
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

mikeylikey

Quote from: RiveraJ on May 26, 2008, 02:40:03 AM
Funny thing, I didn't pay attention to which news network did it, but at the end, I assumed it was Fox... I restarted the video and guess what... it was Fox News...

Unfair and biased....as always......FOX NEWS
What's up monkeys?

♠SARKID♠

Anyone else annoyed that news people almost never say who we are, and when they "attempt" to, they butcher it so bad that no one could find us anyway... How hard is it to say Civil Air Patrol?

Well, since the story wasn't about us, I wouldn't get too upset.  For this particular story I can see mentioning CAP as somewhat superfluous information.

Capt Rivera

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on May 26, 2008, 04:34:10 AM

Well, since the story wasn't about us, I wouldn't get too upset.  For this particular story I can see mentioning CAP as somewhat superfluous information.

and mentioning Cessna a bunch of times wasn't? I wont watch it again to count, but it was a lot....

The story was about the mission right? They not only mentioned the portion of the mission that CAP directly impacts...but showed video of that portion of the mission while flying in CAP assets..... does not seem superfluous to me.
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 26, 2008, 03:37:34 AM

Generally, when referring to the "fairness" and "bias" - that's leaning towards politics (which this has nothing to do with). Aside from getting a name wrong, or not saying it at all - how does that have anything to do with fairness and bias?

::)

Capt Rivera

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on May 26, 2008, 05:25:38 AM

Generally, when referring to the "fairness" and "bias" - that's leaning towards politics (which this has nothing to do with). Aside from getting a name wrong, or not saying it at all - how does that have anything to do with fairness and bias?

• Fairness:marked by impartiality and honesty : free from self-interest, prejudice, or favoritism

I could be wrong but I believe Fox does everything in its own interest....

Yes they wouldn't get anything for not mentioning CAP but I bet they did for mentioning Cessna so many times....
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

♠SARKID♠

QuoteYes they wouldn't get anything for not mentioning CAP but I bet they did for mentioning Cessna so many times....

I hate to sound like a jerk but, they have to call it something don't they?  They couldn't very well call it "that aluminum flying thingy", and "Cessna" is about as accurate as is needed.  With all due respect, you may be blowing a simple thing a bit out of proportion sir.

mikeylikey

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on May 26, 2008, 05:25:38 AM
Quote from: mikeylikey on May 26, 2008, 03:37:34 AM

Generally, when referring to the "fairness" and "bias" - that's leaning toward politics (which this has nothing to do with). Aside from getting a name wrong, or not saying it at all - how does that have anything to do with fairness and bias?

I guess you were not around when FOX news came on the air.  Not everything news related was centered on politics.  That is only a recent happening, and I can tell you I am so sick of turning on CNN, MSNBC, FOX and listening to nothing about the Presidential Election.  Anyone remember a time when the news outlets reported....................NEWS??!?!?!?!?
What's up monkeys?

Gunner C

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on May 26, 2008, 06:10:33 AM
QuoteYes they wouldn't get anything for not mentioning CAP but I bet they did for mentioning Cessna so many times....

I hate to sound like a jerk but, they have to call it something don't they?  They couldn't very well call it "that aluminum flying thingy", and "Cessna" is about as accurate as is needed.  With all due respect, you may be blowing a simple thing a bit out of proportion sir.

Not really.  The aircraft could have been a Beech, Piper, or a Taylorcraft and the media would still call it a Cessna. 

Seriously, the problem is probably with the PAO (USAF type).

SJFedor

Quote from: Gunner C on May 26, 2008, 11:39:39 AM
Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on May 26, 2008, 06:10:33 AM

Not really.  The aircraft could have been a Beech, Piper, or a Taylorcraft and the media would still call it a Cessna. 

Seriously, the problem is probably with the PAO (USAF type).

Well actually, the media WAS wrong. The aircraft being flown in the video is a Gippsland GA-8.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

mikeylikey

Quote from: SJFedor on May 27, 2008, 01:28:50 PM
Well actually, the media WAS wrong. The aircraft being flown in the video is a Gippsland GA-8.

Nice catch.  I watched it twice and didn't even notice.  Maybe I was too busy wondering why they even put something non-Iraq or Hillary or Obama related on the air.   >:D
What's up monkeys?

SAR-EMT1

I hate the national media these days.
Friggin Commies...
(No offense to any of the folks on this board)
* Calen thinks that local news rocks*
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

mikeylikey

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on May 27, 2008, 07:45:27 PM
Friggin Commies...

I totally agree, until the local media runs feeds from the National News Networks. 

I get all my news these days from the Onion.  So much more relevant and interesting.  Plus they just reported that the US Ranger Corps is terminating its National Commander, go figure......... >:D 
What's up monkeys?

mprokosch11

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 27, 2008, 09:00:36 PM
Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on May 27, 2008, 07:45:27 PM
Friggin Commies...

I totally agree, until the local media runs feeds from the National News Networks. 

I get all my news these days from the Onion.  So much more relevant and interesting.  Plus they just reported that the US Ranger Corps is terminating its National Commander, go figure......... >:D 

Best newspaper around!! :D
C/Capt Matthew A. Prokosch, CAP
New York Wing
Utica Cadet Squadron (NER-NY-162)

Capt Rivera

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 27, 2008, 09:00:36 PM

Plus they just reported that the US Ranger Corps is terminating its National Commander, go figure......... >:D 

haha... link?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

SAR-EMT1

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

jimmydeanno

www.theonion.com - it's a satirical news source, however, satire is always good at getting to the bottom of the real issues.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

BuckeyeDEJ

Enough grousing about Fox News or the media in general.

If CAP didn't get a mention, you can't blame the journalists involved.

And for those of you who say Fox News is biased, remember it's MSNBC that's in bed with Obama and CNN who was all over Bill Clinton. There is no unbiased news source, and there never was. I say that as a veteran of seven newsrooms.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.