WAY off topic, Some Everglades Photos <bandwidth warning>

Started by BigMojo, April 05, 2008, 01:15:17 PM

BigMojo

Not sure if this is the proper place, or if there is even any interest, so mods, feel free to move or delete as you see fit.

But, I thought I'd share some photos from yesterday. My girlfriend's parents were in town, and really wanted to go on a "photo safari" out in the Everglades. If you've never been, it truly is one of the "7 natural wonders" of the USA. Being that it's spring time (at least here) there were lots of Mom's and Babies out. I'll caption these so you know what you're looking at.

Little Blue Heron having lunch. Notice the frog in its beak

Purple Gallinule

Tri-Color Heron

Common Moorhen with Chicks

Blue Winged Teal, Drake

Blue Winged Teal, Pair

Tri-Color Heron

American Alligator, with baby

American Alligator, with baby

Female Red Winged Blackbird on nest

Juvenile Anhinga

Blue Winged Teal, Drake

Black Bellied Whistling Duck

Black Bellied Whistling Duck

Great Blue Heron

Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

Tubacap

Those are great photos!  There has definitely been a large increase in the amount of good quality natural photos lately.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Tim Medeiros

TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

BigMojo

Nikon D200. Lens for most of these was a Nikon 80-400 ED VR. It's a slow and light hungry lens, but when it's on, it's on. ISO was set to 400.
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Group 6, Florida Wing

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Gunner C

Quote from: BigMojo on April 05, 2008, 05:41:31 PM
Nikon D200. Lens for most of these was a Nikon 80-400 ED VR. It's a slow and light hungry lens, but when it's on, it's on. ISO was set to 400.

What was the original speed of the film? Was it a lower ISO and pushed it to 400? Usually, when you push the shutter speed, the negatives get grainy.  These are REALLY sharp!  There's nothing better than field pictures like that.

GC

ßτε

^I believe the Nikon D200 is a digital camera instead of a film camera.

BigMojo

Gunner, bte is correct, these are digital. But, being digital, you still set an ISO speed which basically adjusts the sensitivity of the digital sensor to emulate different film speeds. Had I set it at 1600 for example, the images would be grainy...actually to be more correct they'd be noisy as it's digital noise.

The sharpness is thanks to a high-resolution sensor and a good lens.
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Group 6, Florida Wing