Unit deactivations in Texas

Started by RiverAux, December 21, 2007, 11:38:47 PM

RiverAux

I was just snooping around the Texas Wing web site and noticed that they've got three squadrons noted as being in the process of being deactivated.  While I imagine that in a Wing as big as Texas you're bound to lose some units every now and again, it seems odd to whack three at the same time.  Some sort of house cleaning going on?

Eclipse

Absent further details from the conspiracy theorists, my guess is that they simply were so inactive, small, or close to another unit that they were no longer needed.

There seems to be somewhat of a push recently to get our readiness, units, and charters in line with the regs and reality. (i.e. closing "holding units in favor of the 000's, etc., moving empty shirts to 000, etc.).

Recently my wing has retired units, groups, and realigned charters, no conspiracy, just housekeeping.

If nothing else, its SUI season again, and any full charter is subject to a complete inspection, FM rules, etc. 

Just like empty-shirt members, there's no value to the corporation keeping dead charters on the books, except for more administrivia and incorrect reporting to Congress, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

COL Land

I recently visited the CAP Squadron at Randolph AFB and they had just absorbed a school-based unit which was being decommissioned due to a lack of available leadership from within the school's faculty.   Evidently, the teacher who established the unit left the school and no one else was willing/qualified to continue the program.   
JOSEPH M. LAND, SR.
COL, AG, USAC       
Acting Commander              www.goarmycadets.com
Headquarters, U.S. Army Cadet Corps

"ADVENTURE BEGINS HERE!"

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: LTC Land on December 22, 2007, 05:24:48 AM
I recently visited the CAP Squadron at Randolph AFB and they had just absorbed a school-based unit which was being decommissioned due to a lack of available leadership from within the school's faculty.   Evidently, the teacher who established the unit left the school and no one else was willing/qualified to continue the program.   

Its a shame when something like that happens.  At least they were near enough to another squadron to be absorbed, rather than just disbanded and left to the dust and wind.