Who has an active Drug Demand Reduction program in their squadron/group/wing?

Started by Tim Medeiros, August 25, 2007, 05:17:54 AM

Tim Medeiros

Just curious to see who all has an active DDR Program.  Active being having had at least 1 talk about anything DDR in the last, say, 6 months.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Hill CAP

I serve as the Tennessee Wing DDR Administrator and have a Tech Rating in DDR.

I have also served as a Squadron DDRO, Group Deputy DDRO, Group DDRO and Assistant Wing DDRA as well as serving on the CAP DDR SP Sub-Committee and as an instructor at the 2004 NB and Annual Conference
Justin T. Adkinson
Former C/1st Lt and SM Capt
Extended Hiatus Statues

CAPLAW

DDR sounds great, I have instructed DARE in the civilian community at a youth conference.  I serve as a group cadets programs officer and would like to get the program started. Can you guys point me in the right direction. :)

Flying Pig

I taught a drug class last night.  I dont think I followed any set program.  Being a cop, I just said it like it was. 

I would suggest getting the CAP DDR curiculum and maybe contacting your locat Police Dept and network with their DARE officer.

RogueLeader

. . . . .opsec. . . . . .<redacted>. . . . . .  ;)

Sorry, in a funny mood ;D
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

brasda91

Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

jimmydeanno

We have an active DDR officer, however, she seems to think the only purpose of the program is to get us pencils for recruiting purposes.  I try to pitch her on the idea of having DDR pay for some activities and such, but she just hands me a catalog and says, what items do you want...  :-\
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

genejackson

I'm fortunate to have a very active DDRO local to me.  In fact, this member started as a "Sponsor Member" when her daughter joined.   Daughter went through the ranks and left us as a Cadet Lt Col and is now active duty USAF in Korea.   Mom changed her membership to full Senior Member after about 6 months as a Sponsor Member and has come through the ranks and is now the Wing DDRO.  Another example of my thoughts about Sponsor Members and how they become outstanding Senior Members.
When I visited the local Squadron recently, they had the local PD there with a golf cart, orange cones and those neat "Beer Goggles" or whatever they are called (Fatal Vision Goggles maybe??).

It was hillarious watching the kids drive the golf cart and all the other cadets laughing.   An absolutely excellent demo for them about the effects of driving impared.   Our DDRO is the bomb as the kids say.   

Gene
Gene Jackson
COL (R) US Army
Danville VA

flyguy06

So, I am really curious. What are the duties of the DDR officer? Is it just telling cadets to stay away from drugs? Or is there something more indepth? I mean cadets hear that message all day at school so I am wonderingif ther eis something more that the DDR officer does. We dont have one, but I am thiinking of creating one for my unit

genejackson

Flyguy,

Take a look at CAPP 228.   This will help you with your DDRO situation.   Very informative.

http://level2.cap.gov/documents/P228.pdf

Gene

Gene Jackson
COL (R) US Army
Danville VA

flyguy06

I looked at it. it didnt really tel lme the duties of the DDR officer. It told me the requirements to getthe Technician, senior, and master ratings. So I went to the manual reference and it told me the purpose of the DDR program. Again, it didnt really explain the specific duties of this officer.

From what I read the DDR program is basically a programto tell kids to stay off of drugs. In my community we have about 100 programs like that. Drugs are a part of their daily lives. They see it when they go home. So I think the DDR program is a good one. I think its repetetive of other programs but I wouldlike to try it to see what happens

Tim Medeiros

The main goal of the Drug Demand Reduction program within CAP is to promote a drug free atmosphere for not only our cadets, but our seniors as well, and the community.  Many members forget those last two groups thinking that DDR is just a cadet program.  At the local level, the DDRO usually gives various classes on drug prevention and education with all members of the unit.  They can also give briefings on OTC medications and their effect at altitude during the pilot safety briefing.  I've been encouraging the local DDROs in FLWG to also give presentations to the communities they serve.

Each of these activities should be reported on a DDR Form 2 (http://www.cap.gov/documents/DDR_Form2.doc) and sent to the wing DDRA.  The DDRO can also request items from the DDR catalog to support various activities that have a DDR connection.  The DDRO would coordinate this with the wing DDRA on DDR Forms 1A and 1C.

I hope this helps, if not feel free to contact me.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

ThorntonOL

I'm trying to get it started in our unit and so far it's going to happen, but not until our last cycle as I'll be coworking with the local ANG DDR NCO and she won't be able to start until then which is fine as the program can't be fitted in till then, hopefully i'll have the six lessons done this year.
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron