Which candidate is friendliest toward CAP?

Started by ELTHunter, May 28, 2007, 02:29:59 AM

ELTHunter

With an election year coming up, which presidential candidate do you think would be in CAP's best interest?  There are, of course, a lot of different reasons to vote for, or against, a particular candidate.  I'm not saying I'd vote for or against one just because of his/her position on CAP, but if other things were equal, is one better than the other for us?

Let's not allow this thread to get into an argument for or against any particular party or candidate, or a candidates position on anything that's not related to CAP interests...please.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

JC004

Hmmm...good question.  I don't know that it's easy to tell because CAP is not exactly an election-winning thing to push, and frankly most of them couldn't care less at the moment. 

RiverAux

I doubt any Presidential candidate since FDR has ever given one thought to CAP specifically. The only way to judge their potential effect on CAP is to assume that if they push more money at the AF that either we will get some of it, or at the very least, not get any more cuts.  And probably not since the "missle gap" has the AF itself received much attention during a Presidential campaign.  So, now you're reduced to ASSuming that if a candidate pledges to push more money towards the military that the AF will get some of that and the benefits will trickle down into CAP.  

Given the way things are going, I don't see that as likely.  The Army, Marines, and Coast Guard have been increasing manpower while the AF has been making massive cuts.  Not sure what the Navy has been doing, but I suspect decreasing.  

So, really I don't see any way to judge on this.  

Let me ask you this... Are any of the currently announced candidates former CAP members (even if only in a Legislative squadron)?

JC004

Quote from: RiverAux on May 28, 2007, 02:39:58 AM
Let me ask you this... Are any of the currently announced candidates former CAP members (even if only in a Legislative squadron)?

Legislative critters:
Joe Biden
Duncan Hunter

capchiro

Although I don't think either party is aware of CAP or for or against us, I do think the Republican party is much more military friendly than the Democratic party in general.
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

ELTHunter

I seem to remember something about John McCain criticizing CAP funding, or something like that.  Am I dreaming that or does anybody else remember anything like that happening?
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170

ZigZag911

Quote from: ELTHunter on May 28, 2007, 03:39:31 AM
I seem to remember something about John McCain criticizing CAP funding, or something like that.  Am I dreaming that or does anybody else remember anything like that happening?

Yeah, I recall something like that too.

Major Carrales

I have been a Republican for a while now but...if John McCain took a wack at CAP...and I do remember this...he has lost my vote.

We don't ask for much...plus, we don't get paid.  Give us money to fly cadets and perform our missions and that is all we will need.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Mustang

Please don't vote based on which candidate is best for a particular special interest group, please vote for which candidate is best for the country.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

ColonelJack

During the 1990s, Senator John McCain floated a proposal to remove CAP from the Air Force entirely and place it under the auspices of the Department of Transportation ... and remove its auxiliary status from AF.  I don't know the whys and wherefores of the plan, but it would have also removed all uniform/grade from CAP and made it a forerunner of the Department of Homeland Security.  (Or something like that.)

He lost any and all support he might've had from me back then.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

ColonelJack

Quote from: Mustang on May 28, 2007, 07:51:11 AM
Please don't vote based on which candidate is best for a particular special interest group, please vote for which candidate is best for the country.

If that's how we're supposed to do it, how did we get the current guy, then?

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

arajca

Quote from: ColonelJack on May 28, 2007, 11:50:52 AM

If that's how we're supposed to do it, how did we get the current guy, then?

Jack
Lesser of two evils?

More and more I see the election process as not selecting the best candidate for the job, but more as selecting the least bad one, because there are usually very few who I consider good for the job.

ELTHunter

Or the one with the best PR and advertising campaign.  If a candidate can't package himself into 30 second sound bites today, there are a lot of people who will never know what they stand on issues.

I was really high on McCain back in 2000 when I thought GWB did a hatchet job on him in the media and advertising in South Carolina.  It is scary to think that more and more, our countries leaders are chosen by people that think The Daily Show is real news and get their information from campaign ads.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170

JohnKachenmeister

C'mon, guys, this is a no-brainer.

Duncan Hunter!

He's the only guy in Washington who remembers we exist when there isn't any scandal brewing!
Another former CAP officer

mikeylikey

Wow.....I see no candidate that is worthy of being President.  Is it me or has this Presidential election started way early?  Also......why is MSNBC not showing news, but only debating on candidates?  The election process has become so scewed, it is such a shame.  I think I remember reading that no President since W Wilson has not been worth less than 5 Million.  Do they really represent the common person?  No!  I say save your votes for Senators and Representatives, as they are the ones who can benefit CAP more!
What's up monkeys?

Grumpy

Quote from: ELTHunter on May 28, 2007, 03:39:31 AM

A few years back I seem to remember McCain talking about disbanding CAP.  Haven't cared for him since.

Brian Billing, Maj. CAP
Dep. Cmdr for Seniors
Sq 47, Oceanside, CA

Major Carrales

Well, that disqualifies all the Democrats and Republicans.  :o

Commander
SWR-TX-454

flyguy06

So I take it John McCain is not a friend to CAP

Major Carrales

Quote from: flyguy06 on June 03, 2007, 04:40:43 PM
So I take it John McCain is not a friend to CAP

July 27, 2000

MCCAIN OPPOSES OVER $7 BILLION IN DEFENSE PORK
http://mccain.senate.gov/press_office/view_article.cfm?id=867

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- U.S. Senator John McCain (R-AZ) today continued his fight to save taxpayer dollars and to reform the Pentagon's budget by opposing over $7 billion in unrequested items in the Defense Appropriations Conference Report. McCain's floor statement and list of projects follows:

"Mr. President, I rise once again to address the issue of pork-barrel spending in an appropriations bill, in this case the defense appropriations conference report. This bill will pass by an overwhelming margin and with minimal debate. It will occasion the release of innumerable press statements attesting to our individual successes in bringing home the bacon--to demonstrate, if you will, our impressive achievements in funneling tax dollars back home. It will make us look good to our constituents, and hopefully help to ensure our reelection to office. It is a time for celebration.

"When the Military Construction and Emergency Supplemental Appropriations bill recently passed in the Senate on its way to the White House, it was filled with budgeting gimmicks with a total value of some $6 billion. The senator from Texas and I strongly objected to the employment of such nefarious and deceptive budgeting practices and were assured they would be reversed in the next appropriations bill to come to the floor. Regrettably, that was not the case. It is a sad commentary on Congress that we continue to use discredited budgeting practices three decades after Robert McNamara employed them in his role as secretary of Defense. It was wrong then, and it is wrong now. Until we progress beyond the capacity to use such duplicitous tactics, we should not expect the public to place its trust and confidence in us. They are not fools, and do not like to be treated as such.

"As we worship at the altar of pork-barrel spending, let's reflect a bit on the merits of our activities with respect to the practice of adding unrequested programs to the defense budget for parochial reasons. When the defense appropriations bill first emerged from committee, some of us found interesting the inclusion of language urging the Secretary of Defense to "take steps to increase the Department's use of cranberry products...." What I referred to at the time as "the cranberry incident," Mr. President, in retrospect represented the high point of the process by which this conference report was assembled.

"There are over $7 billion in unrequested member-adds in this bill--over $7 billion. That does not just represent a continuation of business as usual pork-barrel spending; it represents an egregious expansion of a practice that drains vital resources from a military that has witnessed a multitude of readiness problems while deploying at record-high levels. As we struggle with answers to such problems as how to modernize tactical aviation, maintain a fleet of sufficient size and capability to execute its mission, and fund ongoing and unforeseen contingencies, it is less than reassuring to read through the defense spending bill and see $1.8 million earmarked for development of a handheld holographic radar gun, although Trekkies across the nation will no doubt be pleased by this project.

"It is tiresome to scan these bills every year and see the annual member-adds of millions of dollars for spectral hole burning applications and for free electron lasers. And it is particularly tiresome, right after passing an emergency supplemental appropriations bill that included an executive jet for the commandant of the Coast Guard, to see in this bill a $60 million earmark for a new 737 for CINCPAC--an important command but $60 million for an aircraft that was neither requested nor required constitutes just one of many questionable additions to this bill.

"We have finally reversed 15 years in declines in defense spending, but for what purpose. To transfer $10 million to the Department of Transportation to realign railroad tracks in Alaska? To transfer $5 million to the National Park Service for repair improvements at Fort Baker in northern California? To transfer another $5 million to the Chicago Public Schools to convert a former National Guard Armory? Was our objective in increasing defense spending to allow us to more freely earmark funding for such endeavors as the $500,000 for Florida Memorial College for funding minority aviation training; $21 million for the Civil Air Patrol; to continue to fund a weather reconnaissance squadron in Mississippi that the Air Force has been trying to get rid off for more years than I can remember? There is over $4 million in this bill for the Angel Gate Academy. There is the now annual allocation to preserve Civil War-era vessels at the bottom of Lake Champlaign, this year in the amount of $15 million. There is $2 million for the Bosque Redondo Memorial in New Mexico and the usual $3 million for hyperspectral research.
???

"If a project is so worthy of Defense Department support, why doesn't it ever show up in a budget request? Why do we need to add money every single year for the National Automotive Center and its prize off-shoot, the Smart Truck Initiative. With another $3.5 million in the fiscal year 2001 defense bill for Smart Truck, I'm beginning to wonder if the intellect of this truck will be such that it will not only be capable of heating up a burrito, but will also perform advanced calculus while quoting Kierkegaard. When I look through this bill, I begin to lose sight of its fundamental purpose. The distinction between the defense bill and the Health and Human Services bill gets lost when you see $8.5 million for the Gallo Center for Alcoholism Research, $4 million for the Gallo Cancer Center--see a pattern emerging?--another $1.5 million for nutrition research, $1.5 million for chronic fatigue syndrome research, and, of course, $1 million for the Cancer Center of Excellence--this latter add a reminder that if you call something a "center of excellence" you are assured of being a beneficiary of Congress's largess.

"Mr. President, I do not take issue with research into important health problems affecting millions of Americans. But the abuse of the defense budget grows every year. It has long been used as a cash-cow for pet projects, but did that have to extend to the allocation of millions of dollars for programs of such exceedingly low priority that they don't even show up on already politicized unfunded priority lists?"

Astronomical Active Optics, Mr. President, were deemed worthy of over $3 million in defense funds, as was coal based advanced thermally stable jet fuel. Fifteen million dollars for the Maui Space Surveillance System, another annual add, $5 million for the Hawaii Federal Health Care Network, $8 million for the Pacific Island Health Care Referral Program, $1 million for the Alaska Federal Health Care Network, $1.5 million for AlaskAlert, $7 million for MILES 2000 equipment at Fort Wainwright, Alaska, $7.5 million for a C-130 simulator for the Alaska National Guard, the annual $10 million for utilidor repairs at Eielson Air Force Base and Fort Wainwright, Alaska, and $21 million for an unmanned threat emitter system for Eielson, and $7 million to sustain operations at Adak Naval Air Station, an installation of apparently marginal utility or the Navy would include it in its funding request. Reuse of Fort Greely, Alaska, receives $7 million for airfield improvement. One of my favorites, $300,000 for the Circum-Pacific Council for the Crowding the Rim Summit Initiative, represents a new addition to this list.

"The inclusion of so-called "Buy American" provisions continue to waste billions of dollars every year. These out-dated protectionist policies serve neither U.S. nor allied interests. It goes against the basic logical policy of getting the best product for the best price for the men and women who wear our nation's uniform. Additionally, these provisions, for example, the requirement to purchase only propellers manufactured in the United States, were added in conference--a practice with I take strong exception and will discuss further in a minute.

"I have repeatedly addressed the growing perversion of the process by which budget requests and service Unfunded Priority Lists are put together. It has been clear for several years now that the services are under considerable political pressure from Capitol Hill to include in their budget requests or, at a minimum, on the Unfunded Priority Lists, unnecessary and unwanted items. Funding for the ubiquitous LHD amphibious assault ship for Mississippi is the classic example of this phenomenon. Indeed, the Defense Department and the Navy's rejection in the past of proposals to incrementally fund ships has given way to unrelenting pressure from members of Congress to so fund the LHD. Similarly, C-1 30s and passenger jets are routinely added to the UFR lists solely as a result of political pressure. In effect, then, my efforts at highlighting pork-barrel spending have resulted to some degree in the problem being pushed underground. That's called progress in Congress. It's called deception everywhere else.

"The fiscal year 2001 defense appropriations conference report takes the problem a major step further. The integrity of the budget process is under a new and devastating assault by the Appropriations Committee. There is in this conference report language specifying the very weapon systems the committee expects to seeincluded in future budget submissions. It is a long list prefaced with the warning that "the conferees expect the component commanders to give priority consideration to the following items...," which it then goes on to detail.

"Finally, I would like to address the equally fascinating tendency of the Appropriations Committees to arrive at final budget numbers that exceed what was in either House or Senate bill. It is my understanding that conference is a process whereby differences between respective bills are the subject of negotiations resulting in agreements that either match one of the two numbers in question or find a compromise in between. I find it interesting, therefore, that this conference report has 166 instances of final numbers exceeding those that were in either bill. In many instances, funding was added in conference for which none was included in either chamber's bill.

"For example, $17 million was added in conference for a capital purchase plan for Pearl Harbor, and $10 million materialized for modifications to M113 armored personnel carriers. There is $10 million in the conference report which was in neither bill to continue the artificial issue of test firing Starstreak missiles, and $1 million for natural gas microturbines. In this bill vital for our national defense is $1.7 million for the South Florida Ocean management Center and $1 million for Community Hospital Telehealth Competition. And, of course, the $60 million for CINCPAC's new 737 was added in conference. For none of these programs, totaling over $200 million, was funding included in either the House or the Senate bill.

"The total dollar amount for the entire category of conference items for which no funding was included in either chambers' bill or for which the final number exceeds what was in either bill is over $2 billion. Two billion dollars, Mr. President, in unrequested, unnecessary items that emerged miraculously in conference. I've heard of the fog of war resulting in horrendous casualties, but I'm perplexed by this fog of negotiating that results in horrendous budgets.

"Sadly, Mr. President, I could go on for another hour. I think, however, that I have made my point. The $7 million in the defense bill for the Magdalena Ridge Observatory in New Mexico, combined with the aforementioned adds for Astronomical Active Optics and the Maui Space Surveillance System leads me to ponder the universe of pork-barrel spending at a higher philosophical plane than in the past. We are adding millions of dollars every year to the defense bill so that we may better scan the heavens, perhaps as part of an ultimately futile effort to better understand our place in the cosmos. Only by applying such logic to the process of reviewing spending bills upon which we vote, however, can I hope to understand the phenomenon by which we regularly send billions of dollars down a black hole. At the end of the day, I guess Einstein's theory of relativity, as well as Newtonian laws of gravity, are at the center of the budget process. The practice of pork-barrel spending has been out of control for years; only now can we take it to a cosmic level never before contemplated."

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Major Carrales

December 20, 2001

MCCAIN RAILS AGAINST $3.6 BILLION IN DEFENSE APPROPRIATIONS BILL FOR FY'02
http://mccain.senate.gov/press_office/view_article.cfm?id=586

Washington, DC - U.S. Senator John McCain today made the following statement regarding the conference report to the Defense Appropriations bill for FY'02:

"Mr. President, I rise once again to address the issue of wasteful spending in appropriations measures, in this case the bill funding the Department of Defense for fiscal year 2002. In provisions too numerous to mention in detail, this bill, time and again, chooses to fund pork barrel projects with little if any relationship to national defense at a time of scarce resources, budget deficits, and underfunded, urgent defense priorities.

"As I pointed out previously to this body on December 7th, the massive Department of Defense Appropriations Bill Conference Report, totaling $343 billion, would be the last business in the Senate - and so it is. Not because of its level of difficulty, but because it is so easy to hide the mother of all pork projects in a large massive bill - or maybe it wasn't because we found it as well as many other groups. For example, let me read a few comments ....................

"Our nation is at war, a war that has united Americans behind a common goal -- to find the enemies who terrorized the United States on September 11th and bring them to justice. In pursuit of this goal, our servicemen and women are serving long hours, under extremely difficult conditions, far away from their families. Many other Americans also have been affected by this war and its economic impact, whether they have lost their jobs, their homes, or have had to drastically cut expenses this holiday season. The weapons we have given them, for all their impressive effects, are, in many cases, neither in quantity nor quality, the best that our government can provide.

"For instance, stockpiles of the precision guided munitions that we have relied on so heavily to bring air power to bear so effectively on difficult, often moving targets, with the least collateral damage possible, are dangerously depleted after only ten weeks of war in Afghanistan. This is just one area of critical importance to our success in this war that underscores just how carefully we should be allocating scarce resources to our national defense.

"Yet, despite the realities of war, and the responsibilities they impose on Congress as much the President, the Senate Appropriations Committee has not seen fit to change in any degree its usual blatant use of defense dollars for projects that may or may not serve some worthy purpose, but that certainly impair our national defense by depriving legitimate defense needs of adequate funding.

"Even in the middle of a war, a war of monumental consequences, the Appropriations Committee, Mr. President, is intent on using the Department of Defense as an agency for dispensing corporate welfare. It is a terrible shame that in a time of maximum emergency, the United States Senate would persist in spending money requested and authorized only for our Armed Forces to satisfy the needs or the desires of interests that are unrelated to defense needs.

"The Investor's Business Daily, on December 18, 2001, had this to say in an article titled At the Trough: Welfare Checks To Big Business Make No Sense, "Among the least justified outlays is corporate welfare. Budget analyst Stephen Slivinski estimates that business subsidies will run $87 billion this year, up a third since 1997, Although President Bush proposed $12 billion in cuts to corporate welfare this year, Congress has proved resistant. Indeed, many post-September 11 bailouts have gone to big business. Boeing is one of the biggest beneficiaries. Representative Norm Dicks, Democrat from Washington, is pushing a substantial increase in research and development support for Boeing and other defense contractors, the purchase of several retrofitted Boeing 767s and the leasing of as many as 100 767s for purposes ranging from surveillance to refueling. Boeing has been hurt by the storm that hit airlines, since many companies have slashed orders. Yet China recently agreed to buy 30 of the company's planes, and Boeing's problems predate the September 11 attack. It is one thing to compensate the airlines for forcibly shutting them down; it is quite another to toss money at big companies caught in a down demand cycle. Boeing, along with many other major exporters, enjoys its own federal lending facility, the Export-Import Bank. ExIm uses cheap loans, loan guarantees and loan insurance to subsidize purchases of U.S. products. The bulk of the money goes to big business that sell airplanes, machinery, nuclear power plants and the like. Last year alone, Boeing benefitted from $3.3 billion in credit subsidies. While corporate America gets the profits, taxpayers get the losses....The Constitution authorizes a Congress to promote the general welfare, not enrich Boeing and other corporate behemoths. There is no warrant to take from Peter so Paul can pay higher corporate dividends. In the aftermath of September 11, the American people can ill afford budget profligacy in Washington. If Congress is not willing to cut corporate welfare at a time of national crisis, what is it willing to cut?"

"As I mentioned last week when the Senate version of the Defense Appropriations bill was being debated - and now carried through the Conference Committee - there is a sweet deal for the Boeing Company that I'm sure is the envy of corporate lobbyists from one end of K Street to the other. Attached is a legislative provision to the Fiscal Year 2002 Department of Defense Appropriations bill that would require the Air Force to lease one hundred 767 aircraft for use as tankers for $26 million apiece each year for the next 10 years. Moreover, in Conference Committee the appropriators added four 737 aircraft for executive travel - mostly benefitting Members of Congress. We have been told that these aircraft will be assigned to the 89th Airlift Wing at Andrews Air Force Base. Since the 10-year leases have yet to be signed, the cost of the planes cannot be calculated, but it costs roughly $85 million to buy one 737, and a lease costs significantly more over the long term.

"The cost to taxpayers? $2.6 billion per year for the aircraft plus another $1.2 billion in military construction funds to modify KC-135 hangars to accommodate their larger replacements, with a total price tag of more than $30 billion over 10 years when the costs of the 737 leases are also included. This leasing plan is five times more expensive to the taxpayer than an outright purchase, and it represents 30% of the Air Force's annual cost of its top 60 priorities. But the most amazing fact is that this program is not actually among the Air Force's top 60 priorities nor do new tankers appear in the 6-year defense procurement plan for the Service!

"That's right, when the Air Force told Congress in clear terms what its top priorities were tankers and medical lift capability aircraft weren't included as critical programs. In fact, within its top 30 programs, the Air Force has asked for several essential items that would directly support our current war effort: wartime munitions, jet fighter engine replacement parts, combat support vehicles, bomber and fighter upgrades and self protection equipment, and combat search and rescue helicopters for downed pilots.

"Let me say that again, within its top 30 programs, the Air Force has asked for several essential items that would directly support our current war effort: wartime munitions, jet fighter engine replacement parts, combat support vehicles, bomber and fighter upgrades and self protection equipment, and combat search and rescue helicopters for downed pilots.

"This leasing program also will require $1.2 billion in military construction funding to build new hangars, since existing hangars are too small for the new 767 aircraft. The taxpayers also will be on the hook for another $30 million per aircraft on the front end to convert these aircraft from commercial configurations to military; and at the end of the lease, the taxpayers will have to foot the bill for $30 million more, to convert the aircraft back -- pushing the total cost of the Boeing sweetheart deal to $30 billion over the ten-year lease. Mr. President, that is waste that borders on gross negligence.

"But this is just another example of Congress' political meddling and of how outside special interest groups have obstructed the military's ability to channel resources where they are most needed. I will repeat what I've said many, many times before - the military needs less money spent on pork and more spent to redress the serious problems caused by a decade of declining defense budgets.

"This bill includes many more examples where congressional appropriators show that they have no sense of priority when it comes to spending the taxpayers' money. The insatiable appetite in Congress for wasteful spending grows more and more as the total amount of pork added to appropriations bills this year -- an amount totaling over $15 billion.

"This defense appropriations bill also includes provisions to mandate domestic source restrictions; these "Buy America" provisions directly harm the United States and our allies. "Buy America" protectionist procurement policies, enacted by Congress to protect pork barrel projects in each Member's State or District, hurt military readiness, personnel funding, modernization of military equipment, and cost the taxpayer $5.5 billion annually. In many instances, we are driving the military to buy higher-priced, inferior products when we do not allow foreign competition. "Buy America" restrictions undermine DoD's ability to procure the best systems at the least cost and impede greater interoperability and armaments cooperation with our allies. They are not only less cost-effective, they also constitute bad policy, particularly at a time when our allies' support in the war on terrorism is so important.

"Secretary Rumsfeld and his predecessor, Bill Cohen, oppose this protectionist and costly appropriation's policy. However, the appropriations' staff ignores this expert advice when preparing the legislative draft of the appropriations bills each year. In the defense appropriations bill are several examples of "Buy America" pork -- prohibitions on procuring anchor and mooring chain components for Navy warships; main propulsion diesel engines and propellers for a new class of Navy dry-stores and ammunition supply ships; supercomputers; carbon, alloy, or armor steel plate; ball and roller bearings; construction or conversion of any naval vessel; and, other naval auxiliary equipment, including pumps for all shipboard services, propulsion system components such as engines, reduction gears, and propellers, shipboard cranes, and spreaders for shipboard cranes.

"Also buried in the smoke and mirrors of the appropriations markup is what appears to be a small provision that has large implications on our warfighting ability in Afghanistan and around the world. Without debate or advice and counsel from the Committee on Armed Services, the appropriators changed the policy on military construction which would prohibit previous authority given to the President of the United States, the Secretary of Defense, and the Service Secretaries to shift military construction money within the MILCON account to more critical military construction projects in time of war or national emergency. The reason for this seemingly small change is to protect added pork in the form of military construction projects in key states, especially as such projects have historically been added by those Members who sit on the Military Construction Appropriations Subcommittee, at the expense, Mr. President, of projects the Commander-in-Chief believes are most needed to support our military overseas.

"Does the appropriations committee have any respect for the authorizing committees in the Senate?

"Mr. President, I look forward to the day when my appearances on the Senate floor for this purpose are no longer necessary. There is nearly $2.5 billion in unrequested defense programs in the defense appropriations bill and another $1.1 billion for additional supplemental appropriations not directly related to defense that have been added by the Chairman of the Committee. Consider what $3.6 billion when added to the savings gained through additional base closings and more cost-effective business practices could be used for. The problems of our armed forces, whether in terms of force structure or modernization, could be more assuredly addressed and our warfighting ability greatly enhanced. The public expects more of us.

"But for now, unfortunately, they must witness us, blind to our responsibilities in war, going about our business as usual.

"Mr. President, I ask unanimous consent that my full statement and the list of earmarks from the Fiscal Year 2002 Department of Defense Appropriations Bill Conference Report be placed in the Record following my statement.

"Thank you, Mr. President. I yield the floor."

FY 2002 Defense Appropriations
PORK ($ in millions)

DIVISION A

Operation and Maintenance, Army
Fort Knox Distance Learning Program $ 2.1
Army Conservation and Ecosystem Management 4.3
Fort Richardson, Camp Denali Water Systems 0.6
Rock Island Bridge Repairs 2.0
Memorial Tunnel, Consequence Management 16.5
FIRES Programs Data 6.8
Skid Steer Loaders 7.5
USARPAC Transformation Planning 8.5
USARPAC Command, Control, and Communications Upgrades 3.2
Hunter UAV 2.5
Field Pack-up Systems 2.5
Unutilized Plant Capacity 17.5
SROTC - Air Battle Captain 1.0
Joint Assessment Neurological Examination Equipment 2.6
Repairs Ft. Baker 1.0
Fires Program Data Capt. 6.8
Mobility Enhancement Study 0.5
Classified Programs, Undistributed 0.35

Operation and Maintenance, Navy
Naval Sea Cadet Corps 1.0
Shipyard Apprentice Program 7.8
PHNSY SRM 12.8
Warfare Tactics PMRF 20.4
Hydrographic Center of Excellence 2.5
UNOLS 1.5
Center of Excellence for Disaster Management and Humanitarian Assistance 4.3
Biometrics Support 2.5

Operation and Maintenace, Air Force
Pacific Server Consolidation 8.5
Grand Forks AFB ramp refurbishment 5.0
Wind Energy Fund 0.5
University Partnership for Operational Support 3.4
Hickam AFB Alternate Fuel Program 1.0
SRM Eielson Utilidors 8.5
Civil Air Patrol Corporation 3.2
PACAF Strategic Airlift planning 1.7
Elmendorf AFB transportation infrastructure 10.2
MTAPP 2.8

Operation and Maintenance, Defense-Wide
Civil Military programs, Innovative Readiness Training 8.5
DoDEA, Math Teacher Leadership 1.0
DoDEA, Galena IDEA 3.4
DoDEA, SRM 5.0
OEA, Naval Security Group Activity, Winter Harbor 4.0
OEA, Fitzsimmons Army Hospital 3.8
OEA Barrow landfill relocation 3.4
OEA, Broadneck peninsula NIKE site 1.0
OSD, Clara Barton Center 1.0
OSD, Pacific Command Regional initiative 6.0
OEA, Adak airfield operations 1.0
OSD, Intelligence fusion study 5.0
Free Markets 1.4
Trustfund for demining and mine eviction 14.0
Impact aid 30.0
Legacy 12.9

Operation and Maintenance, Army National Guard
Distributed Learning Project 25.5
ECWCS 2.5
Camp McCain Simulator Center, trainer upgrades 3.2
Fort Harrison Communications Infrastructure 1.0
Communications Network Equipment 0.209
Multimedia classroom 0.85
Camp McCain Training Site, roads 2.2
Full Time Support, 487 additional technicians 11.2
Emergency Spill Response and Preparedness Program 0.79
Distance Learning 30.0
SRM reallocation 25.0
Army Guard Education Program at NPS 2.0

Operation and Maintenace, Air National Guard
Extended Cold Weather Clothing System 2.5
Defense Systems Evaluation 1.7
Eagle Vision (Air Guard) 8.5
Bangor International Airport repairs 5.0
Military Techniques Costing Model 6.3
Angel Gate Academy 1.5
GSA Leased Vehicle Program 1.75
Camp Gruber Regional Trade Center 2.4
Information Technology Management Training 1.0
Rural Access to Broadband Technology 3.4
National Guard State Partnership Program 1.0

Aircraft Procurment, Army
Oil debris detection and burn-off system 3.5
ATIRCM LRIP 7.0
Guardrail Mods 5.0

Procurement of Weapons and Tracked Combat Vehicles, Army
Bradley Reactive Armor Tiles 20.0

Other Procurement, Army
Automated Data Processing Equipment 14.0
Camouflage: ULCANS 4.0
Aluminum Mesh Tank Liner 3.5
AN/TTC Single Shelter Switches w/ Associated Support 26.5
Blackjack Secure Facsimile 7.0
Trunked Radio System 1.4
Modular Command Post 2.5
Laundry Advance Systems (LADS) 3.0
Abrams & Bradley Interactive Skills Trainer 6.3
SIMNET 10.5
AFIST 8.3
Ft. Wainwright MOUT Instrumentation 6.5
Target Receiver Injection Module Threat Simulator 4.0
Tactical Fire Trucks 4.0
IFTE 15.0
Maintenance Automatic Identification Technology 3.0
National Guard Distance Learning Courseware 8.0
Smart Truck 3.4
ULCANS 4.0
Floating Crane 7.0
2KW Military Tactical Generator 2.5
Firefighting Training System 1.2
Lightweight Maintenance Enclosure 1.2
GUARDFIST 3.0
Army Live Fire Ranges 3.5
USARPAC C-4 Suites 7.2

Aircraft Procurements, Navy
JPATS (16 aircraft) 44.6
ECP-583 24.0
PACT Trainer 6.0
Direct Support Squadron Readiness Training 4.5
UC-45 7.5

Other Procurement, Navy
JEDMICS 11.5
Pacific Missile Range Equipment 6.0
IPDE Enhancement 4.2
Pearl Harbor Pilot 4.3
AN/BPS-15H Navigation System 6.3
Tactical Communication On-Board Training 4.5
Air Traffic Control On-Board Trainer 2.8
WSN-7B 7.0
Naval Shore Communications 48.7

Missle Procurment, Air Force
NUDET Detection System 19.066

Other Procurement, Air Force
CAP COM and ELECT 7.0
Pacific AK Range Complex Mount Fairplay 6.3
UHF/VHF Radios for Mont Fairplay, Sustina 3.0

National Guard and Reserve Equipment
Navy Reserve Misc. Equipment 15.0
Marine Corps Misc. Equipment 10.0
Air Force Reserve Misc. Equipment 10.0
Army National Guard Misc. Equipment 10.0
Air Guard C-130 219.7
Lasermarksmenship Training Center 8.5
UH-60 Blackhawk 8.7
Engage Skills Training 4.2
Multirole Bridging Compound 15.7
Braley ODS 51.0
Heavy Equipment Training System 2.5
Reserve Composition System 15.5
P19 Truck Crash 3.5

Weapons Procurement, Navy
Drones and Decoys 14.9

Shipbuilding and Conversion, Navy
Minehunter Swath 1.0
Yard Boilers 3.0

Research, Development, Test, and Evaluation, Army
Environmental Quality Technology Dem/Val 10.36
End Item Industrial Preparedness Activities 20.6
Defense Research Sciences Cold Weather Sensor Performance 1.0
Advanced Materials Processing 3.0
FCS Composites Research 2.5
AAN Multifunctional Materials 1.5
HELSTF Solid State Heat Capacity 3.5
Photonics 2.5
Army COE Acoustics 3.5
Cooperative Energetics Initiatives 3.5
TOW ITAS Cylindrical Battery Replacement 1.5
Cylindrical Zinc Air Battery for LWS 1.8
Heat Actuated Coolers 1.0
Improved High Rate Alkaline Cells 1.0
Low Cost Reusable Alkaline (Manganese-Zinc) Cells 0.6
Rechargeable Cylindrical Cell System 1.5
Waste Minimization and Pollution Research 2.0
Molecular and Computational Risk Assessment (MACERAC) 1.4
Center for Geosciences 1.5
Cold Regions Military Engineering 1.0
University Partnership for Operational Support (UPOS) 3.4
Plasma Energy Pyrolysis System (PEPS) 3.0
DOD High Energy Laser Test Facility 15.0
Starstreak 16.0
Center for International Rehabilitation 1.4
Dermal Phase Meter 0.6
Minimally Invasive Surgery Simulator 1.4
Minimally Invasive Therapy 5.0
Anthropod-Borne Infectious Disease Control 2.5
VCT Lung Scan 3.2
Tissue Engineering Research 4.7
Monocional Anti-body based technology (Heteropolymer System) 3.0
Dye Targeted Laser Fusion 3.4
Joint Diabetes Program 5.0
Center for Prostate Disease Research 6.4
Spine Research 2.1
Brain Biology and Machine Initiative 1.8
Medical Simulation training initiative 0.75
TACOM Hybrid Vehicle 1.0
N-STEP 2.5
IMPACT 3.5
Composite Body Parts 1.4
Corrosion Prevention and Control Program 1.4
Mobile Parts Hospital 5.6
Vehicle Body Armor Support System 3.3
Casting Emission Reduction Program 5.8
Managing Army Tech. Environmental Enhancement 1.0
Visual Cockpit Optimization 4.2
JCALS 10.2
Electronics Commodity Pilot Program 1.0
Battle Lab at Ft. Knox 3.5
TIME 10.0
Force Provider Microwave Treatment 1.4
Mantech Program for Cylindrical Zinc Batteries 1.8
Continuous Manufacturing Process for Mental Matrix Composites 2.6
Modular Extendable Rigid Wall Shelter 2.6
Combat Vehicle and Automotive technology 14.0
Auto research center 2.0
Hydrogen DEM fuel cell vehicle demonstration 5.0
Electronic Display Research 9.0
Fuel Cell Power Systems 2.5
Polymer Extrusion/Multilaminate 2.6
DoD Fuel Cell Test and Evaluation Center 5.1
Ft. Meade Fuel Cell Demo 2.5
Biometrics 5.1
Diabetes Project, Pittsburgh 5.1
Osteoporosis Research 2.8
Aluminum Reinforced Metal Matrix Composition 2.5
Comabt Vehicle Res Weight Reduction 6.0
Ft. Ord Celanup Demonstration Project 2.0
Vanadium Tech Program 1.3
ERADS 2.0
Advanced Diagnostics and Therapeutic Digital Tech 1.3
Artificial Hip 3.5
Biosensor Research 2.5
Brain Biology and Machine Initiative 1.8
Cancer Center of Excellence (Notre Dame) 2.1
Center for Integration of Medicine and Innovative Technology 8.5
Center for Untethered Healthcare at Worcester Polytechnic Institute 1.0
Continuous Expert Care Network Telemedicine Program 1.5
Disaster Relief and Emergency Medical Services (DREAMS) 8.0
Hemoglobin Based Oxygen Carrier 1.0
Hepatitas C 3.4
Joslin Diabetes Research-eye Care 4.2
LSTAT 2.5
Secure Telemedicine Technology Program 2.0
Memorial Hermann Telemedicine Network 9.0
Monoclonal Antibodies 1.0
Emergency Telemedicine Response and Advanced Technology Program 1.5
National Medical Testbed 7.7
Neurofibromatosis Research Program 21.0
Neurology Gallo Center-alcoholism research 5.6
Neurotoxin Exposure Treatment Research Program 17.0
Polynitroxylated Hemogolbin 1.0
SEAtreat cervical cancer visualization and treatment 1.7
Smart Aortic Arch Catheter 1.0
National Tissue Engineering Center 2.0
Center for Prostate Disease Research at WRAMC 6.4

Research, Development, Test, and Evaluation, Navy
Southeast Atlantic Coastal Observing System (SEA-COOS) 4.0
Marine Mammal Low Frequency Sound Research 1.0
Maritime Fire Training/Barbers Point 2.6
3-D Printing Metalworking Project 2.5
Nanoscale Science and Technology Program 1.5
Nanoscale devices 1.0
Advanced waterjet-21 project 3.5
DDG-51 Composite twisted rudder 1.0
High Resolution Digital mammography 1.5
Military Dental Research 2.8
Vector Thrusted Ducted Propeller 3.4
Ship Service Fuel Cell Technology Verification & Training Program 2.0
Aluminum Mesh Tank Liner 1.5
AEGIS Operational Readiness Training System (ORTS) 4.0
Materials, Electronics and Computer Technology 19.3
Human Systems Technology 2.6
Undersea Warfare Weaponry Technology 1.7
Medical Development 59.0
Manpower, Personell and Training ADV Tech DEV 2.0
Environmental Quality and Logistics ADV Tech 1.4

Research, Development, Test, and Evaluation, Defense-Wide
Bug to Drug Identification and CM 2.0
American Indian higher education consortium 3.5
Business/Tech manuals R&D 1.5
AGILE Port Demonstrations 8.5

Defense Health Program
Hawaii Federal healthcare network 15.3
Pacific island health care referral program 4.3
Alaska Federal healthcare Network 2.125
Brown Tree Snakes 1.0
Tri-Service Nursing Research Program 6.0
Graduate School of Nursing 2.0
Health Study at the Iowa Army Ammunition Plant 1.0
Coastal Cancer Control 5.0

Drug Interdiction and Counter-Drug Activities, Defense
Mississippi National Guard Counter Drug Program 1.8
West Virginia Air National Guard Counter Drug Program 3.0
Regional Counter Drug Training Academy, Meridian MS 1.4

Earmarks
Maritime Technology (MARITECH) 5.0
Metals Affordability Initiative 5.0
Magnetic Bearing cooling turbin 5.0
Roadway Simulator 13.5
Aviator's night vision imaging system 2.5
HGU - 56/P Aircrew Integrated System 5.0
Fort Des Moines Memorial Park and Education Center 5.0
National D-Day Museum 5.0
Dwight D. Eisenhower Memorial Commission 3.0
Clear Radar Upgrade, Clear AFS, Alaska 8.0
Padgett Thomas Barracks, Charleston, SC 15.0
Broadway Armory, Chicago 3.0
Advance Identification, Friend -or-Foe 35.0
Transportation Multi-Platform Gateway Integration for AWACS 20.0
Emergency Traffic Management 20.7
Washington-Metro Area Transit Authority 39.1
Ft. Knox MOUT site upgrades 3.5
Civil Military Programs, Innovative readiness training 10.0
ASE INFRARED CM ATIRCM LRIP 10.0
Tooling and Test Equipment 35.0
Integrated Family of Test Equipment (IFTE) 15.0
T-AKE class ship (Buy America)
Welded shipboard and anchor chain (Buy America)
Dwight D. Eisenhower Memorial
Gwitchyaa Zhee Corporation lands
Air Force's lease of Boeing 767s
Enactment of S. 746
2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, Utah
Nutritional Program for Women, Infants and Children 39.0
International Sports Competition 15.8
Animal and Plant Health Inspection Survey 105.5
Food and Safety Inspection 15.0
Total Pork in Division A (FY 2002 Defense Approps) =
Total = $2.5 Billion
DIVISION B
Commerce related earmarks:
Port Security 93.3
Airports and Airways Trust Fund, payment to air carriers 50.0
DoT Office of the Inspector General 1.3
FAA Operations (from aviation Trust Fund) 200.0
FAA Facilities and Equipment 108.5
Passenger Bag Match Demonstration at Reagan National Airport 2.0
Federal Highway Administration misc. appropriations ($10 m requested) 100.0
Capital Grants to the National Railroad Passenger Corporation 100.0
Federal Transit Administration Capital Investment Grants 100.0
Restoration of Broadcasting Facilities 8.25
National Institute of Standards and Technology 30.0
Federal Trade Commission 20.0
FAA Grants-in-AID for Airports 175.0
Woodrow Wilson Bridge Project 29.542
Provision relating to Alaska in the Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century
US-61 Woodville widening project in Mississippi 0.3
Interstate Maintenance Program for the city of Trenton/Port Quendall, WA 4.0
Interstate Sports Competition Defense 15.8
Utah Olympics Public Safety Command 0.02
FEMA support of the 2002 Salt Lake Olympic Games 10.0
Relocation costs and other purposes for 2002 Winter Olympics 15.0
Chemical and Biological Weapons Prepardeness for DC Fire Dept 0.205
Response and Communications Capability for DC Fire Dept 7.76
Search and Rescue and Other Emergency Equip. and Support for DC Fire 0.208
Office of the Chief Technology Officer for the DC Fire Dept 1.0
Training and Planning for the DC Fire Dept 4.4
Protective Clothing and Breathing Apparatus for DC Fire Dept 0.922