Which CAP squadron/group/wing/region has the best website(s)?

Started by Holding Pattern, February 18, 2015, 09:37:58 AM

A.Member

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on February 19, 2015, 11:11:26 PM
Quote from: A.Member on February 19, 2015, 07:15:16 PM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on February 19, 2015, 06:15:40 PM
Maybe it's my bad work connection, but OKWG webpage took 20 seconds to load...
Very slow for me as well (with a very fast connection).

I'm pretty fond of our new Wing site (and hopefully it loads faster than OK's :-\):  mnwg.cap.gov

I like it except for one thing...

"SEMPER VILIGANS?"
Haha!  Great catch.  The site was reviewed by most Wing staff members and that was never caught. 

Corrected now.  Thanks!
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Майор Хаткевич

sardak

The three places where I saw "viligans" I now see the correct vigilans. Viligans, short for "village hooligans?"

Mike

A.Member

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on February 20, 2015, 05:36:33 AM
Still see viligans.
Can you try refreshing/clearing your cache?  All should be corrected. 

As sardak stated, there were 3 instances found; two on the Home page and one on the Fact Sheet.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

A.Member

Майор Хаткевич

My phone browser still messed up. I'll clear cache in a bit.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: JeffDG on February 19, 2015, 07:05:20 PM
Quote from: Private Investigator on February 19, 2015, 10:22:08 AM
Facebook is a realistic option. No fuss, no mess and everybody is into FB.   8)

And, just to reiterate, these require Wing or higher commander approval as well.

Quote from: CAPR 110-111.
a.  CAP units conducting CAP internet operations (including cap.gov domains) must obtain and
maintain a record of approval from the CAP/CC or applicable region, wing commander or their
designee. The NHQ/CO or designee approves CAPNHQ.gov domain delegations.

And before you ask, yes, Facebook is a "CAP internet operation" as defined in CAPR 110-1, 6:
Quote6. CAP Internet and Local Computer Operations are data, communication and information
operations that utilize the internet for hosting CAP websites, file services, e-mail, instant messaging
and other communications and sharing vehicles. Local computer operations include CAP-owned
personal computers, smartphones, tablet PCs and external storage devices that contain CAP data and
information.

Interesting. CAPR 110-1 does not specifically address social media by name in its definition of CAP Internet operation. In contrast, CAPR 190-1 does cover social media in detail. In fact, CAPR 190-1 specifically states the following regarding unit websites (not social media):

Quote from: CAPR 190-1, Para. 11aPAOs at wing and region levels, in conjunction with the information technology officer and/or commander designee, will create and maintain their unit website in accordance with CAPR 110-1.

When CAPR 190-1 addresses social media, it states the following:

Quote from: CAPR 190-1, Para. 11b
All levels of CAP, from flights and squadrons to National Headquarters, are encouraged to create and use social media to help reach out to their membership, potential members, friends of CAP and the general public by telling CAP stories on unit social networking sites. Units are not required to use social media, but are encouraged to do so as resources allow. The responsibility for use of social media by CAP units rests with the unit commander and will be overseen by the unit PAO or a member designated by the commander under the direction of the unit PAO.

Note the lack of reference to CAPR 110-1. Oversight? Maybe. That said, it's important to note the importance that CAP has been placing in social media (see http://capnhq.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2180/kw/social%20media), so it's hard to believe that this is just an oversight.

Eclipse

To be clear. PAOs are responsible primarily for content not the technicals.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

Don't disagree. I'm just not sure Facebook and other social media fall under the same category as a unit website. But even if that's the intent, it seems to me the regulations could've been more clear.

JeffDG

Quote from: Storm Chaser on February 21, 2015, 05:25:27 AM
Don't disagree. I'm just not sure Facebook and other social media fall under the same category as a unit website. But even if that's the intent, it seems to me the regulations could've been more clear.

Facebook is pretty clearly a sharing platform.

The Internet Operations app has specific options for Facevook, Twitter, Imstagram, etc.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: JeffDG on February 21, 2015, 01:09:36 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on February 21, 2015, 05:25:27 AM

Facebook is pretty clearly a sharing platform.

The Internet Operations app has specific options for Facevook, Twitter, Imstagram, etc.

Maybe so, but they could've spell out social media in the regulation more clearly. I bet many, many units have Facebook pages that haven't been approved by wing. Heck, I bet many wings are not enforcing this policy in regards to social media which, in my opinion, is not clearly spelled out in the regulation. If it was clear, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

CadetSnuffy

There are two types of countries, those that use the metric system, then that one that has been to the moon.

Eclipse

Quote from: CadetSnuffy on February 21, 2015, 10:05:20 PM
KS wing updated their website recently... http://www.kswg.cap.gov/ Any thoughts?

For starters the template doesn't scale properly, and there's a fair number of graphics that
don't have transparency working correctly.

"That Others May Zoom"

CadetSnuffy

I probably should have mentioned that it is still a work in progress. Thanks for the input!
There are two types of countries, those that use the metric system, then that one that has been to the moon.

Holding Pattern

On the subject of "Is Facebook an internet operation?"

http://www.capmembers.com/cap_national_hq/public_affairs/cap_unit_web_sites/

I'm assuming that the twitter and facebook feeds couldn't get on this list without having submitted an IO request.

That being said, I think my squadron's IO request was sent in by paper many, many years ago. It isn't showing up in the list, so I'll be resubmitting it shortly with a note we intend to upgrade it from its 1990's chic look.

EDIT: word goof

Eclipse

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on February 23, 2015, 12:41:19 AM
On the subject of "Is CAP an internet operation?"

http://www.capmembers.com/cap_national_hq/public_affairs/cap_unit_web_sites/

I'm assuming that the twitter and facebook feeds couldn't get on this list without having submitted an IO request.

There are Twitter and Facebook links on that list.

What a MESS.

In the first third of that page, out of about 20 links, at least 10 are dead, broken web pages, woefully outdated, and one has a Rickroll.

No, CAP doesn't need standardization at all...

"That Others May Zoom"

Capt Thompson

Quote from: Eclipse on February 23, 2015, 02:50:48 AM
In the first third of that page, out of about 20 links, at least 10 are dead, broken web pages, woefully outdated, and one has a Rickroll.

That last one was legit, their Squadron motto is: "Never gonna give you up, Never gonna let you down, Never gonna run around and desert you." All in latin, of course  ;D

Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)