USAF holds a bird Colonel to the standard...

Started by JoeTomasone, March 25, 2013, 08:39:48 PM

lordmonar

Quote from: Nuke52 on March 30, 2013, 07:06:39 PM
Quote from: Private Investigator on March 30, 2013, 06:58:59 PM
Also doesn't the enlisted men/women who HYT out get a severance package?

I'm not certain--I'd bet PHall knows--but I don't believe so. For the retirement-eligible they just retire at the appropriate time, no extra cash or fanfare. For those who aren't retirement-eligible, they just separate, and that's it.
Yes....if your reenlistment code is coded as HYT then you get a severance package.

I remember back in my TSgt days a SrA having to study really hard for his WAPS test because he was trying to HYT and if he scored more then a 30 on each test he would get promoted.   He took the test to fail!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

The rules may have changed in recent years, but AFAIK, when USN folks get into a HYT situation, it's sayonara, here's your discharge and DD-214, and "have a nice life in the civilian world".
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: lordmonar on March 30, 2013, 08:04:47 PM
Quote from: Nuke52 on March 30, 2013, 07:06:39 PM
Quote from: Private Investigator on March 30, 2013, 06:58:59 PM
Also doesn't the enlisted men/women who HYT out get a severance package?

I'm not certain--I'd bet PHall knows--but I don't believe so. For the retirement-eligible they just retire at the appropriate time, no extra cash or fanfare. For those who aren't retirement-eligible, they just separate, and that's it.
Yes....if your reenlistment code is coded as HYT then you get a severance package.

I remember back in my TSgt days a SrA having to study really hard for his WAPS test because he was trying to HYT and if he scored more then a 30 on each test he would get promoted.   He took the test to fail!

The question is are you retirement elegible or not? If you're not eligible for retirement, you get a severance package.
This is mostly an Active Duty thing. The only HYT for Enlisted in the Air Guard is age 60 and in the AF Reserve it's age 60 or 33 years of service, whichever happens first.

If you are eligible for retirement then you retire when you hit your HYT date.
If you're Active Duty, they checks start coming next month. If you're Guard or Reserve, the checks start coming when you turn 60.

J2H

It was 9  not 10  my bad.  I was on the slow train out anyway because they revoked my clearance.  My first  shirt told me to look at DOS  rollback because I was non deployable and couldn't pcs  due to my clearance,  than I was on a control roster which meant the same thing.   They paid me because they  didn't keep me the last 4  years ( as  finance put it)
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031