Winter Command Council Meeting - 2013

Started by Ned, March 01, 2013, 08:18:41 PM

Ned

I must say I was surprised that no one had created a thread on this.

In any event, the CC is meeting in DC today and tomorrow.

So far, we have had a lengthy safety discussion during whic the CC - on behalf of the membership - expressed their strong belief that our safety program would benefit from some changes.  Particularly by eliminating or streamlining the process for reporting and remediating minor bodily injury mishaps.

We are now hearing from the USAF Director of Operations, Maj Gen Jones, who is reviewing the CAP support of the AF this year.  He is being extremely kind and generous in his thanks and praise.

More as it occurs.

Questions?

Eclipse

Any chance of eliminating the monthly Safety checkbox?

My main concerns are around funding and when / if we'll get some more this fiscal year.

Was an actual agenda published?  I remember seeing a CAPNow article, but not a full agenda.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ned

I'm not sure if one has been put on-line, but we have a paper version.

Nothing very surprising or controversial. Mostly just the usual briefings from the staff on safety, IG, the strategic plan, and finance.

Nobody (and I mean nobody) knows how the continuing Federal budget/sequester issues will affect us. 

I can tell you that all NCSAs are fully funded for this summer, for instance.  But things are fuzzy beyond that.

dwb

That was the big point we were trying to drive home during yesterday's Legislative Day. We're not asking for more money, we're asking for enough money just for our normal O&M stuff, and scheduled replacement of old aircraft and vehicles.

Who knows how it'll all shake out. The next continuing resolution will be at best a temporary sigh of relief, and at worst a serious impairment to our ability to function.

a2capt

Quote from: Ned on March 01, 2013, 08:40:21 PMI can tell you that all NCSAs are fully funded for this summer, for instance.  But things are fuzzy beyond that.
Does that mean NCC, that's on the sort of it is, sort of it is not, an NCSA, and has not been officially announced, yet "leaked" by OHWG that it's right smack in the middle of the other NCSA's, and some cadets could even have to bail out on an NCSA slot or their team should they advance at their region competitions, some of which are just shy of the NCSA make up your mind window of commitment and payment, where as it's been a whole month earlier in the past, barely putting it into that complication.

RiverAux

Quote from: Ned on March 01, 2013, 08:18:41 PM
I must say I was surprised that no one had created a thread on this.

Don't see an agenda posted (that I could find)....so not much to comment on from the outside. 

MSG Mac

I stopped by yesterday in the expectation that Vanguard would be there (they were't). Good briefing on the changes in governance and the roles of the various echelons of command. Unlike the previous National Boards I have attended, there was a lot less tension and nitpicking. I was delayed by the fact that they were at a different hotel than used last year. The biggest concern shown by the Commanders was indemnity and insurance. They were told by the General Counsel that as long as CAP Regs are followed they and subordinates who have delegated authority are covered.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Al Sayre

Vanguard is here today, but their selections are limited.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

MSG Mac

Quote from: Al Sayre on March 02, 2013, 04:27:30 PM
Vanguard is here today, but their selections are limited.
By the time I get down toArlington they've packing up.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

FW

I was pleasantly surprised to hear this meeting described as the National Commander's first "Commanders Call".  The whole meeting was devoted to briefings and awards.  There were question and comment periods however, I did not notice any real suggestions on possible business to be brought up the chain to the CSAG.  My opinion is things are still too new to "get it".  I look forward to the future and the new dynamic which will evolve to move CAP forward.

I spoke with all the senior leaders and, all expressed optimism in the future.  My time spent there was productive but, my first priority was to say my farewell to Col John Tilton; whose remains were interred at Arlington on Friday with full military honors. He was a dear friend and colleague and is missed by many.     

130FlyGuy

What information was "leaked" by the OHWG about the NCC at the Command Council meeting?  By OHWG, do yo mean the Ohio Wing?

a2capt

Wow, a purported Wing staffer, banned on the first post, must have been a duplicate account violation. The post itself is certainly innocuous.

http://cadetcompetition.ohwg.cap.gov/ Read your own web page ;)