Main Menu

Who to invite?

Started by RogueLeader, January 11, 2013, 05:13:56 PM

RogueLeader

I'm planning our (1st?) Squadron  Awards Banquet.  Other than our unit and Wing Commander,  is there anybody else that I should invite?

We are in Cheyenne Wyoming, home of the State Capitol and F.E. Warren AFB.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Luis R. Ramos

Does your Wing use Groups? If so, the Group CC or a rep.

Does your squadron meet at the base? If so, the Base CC (who is probably so busy he may not be able to attend or does not care about CAP) or a rep.

Are you presenting awards? Look in the regulation Award of CAP Medals, there is a suggestion as to who should present it. You could invite one or more of those.

Also any local politician.

Edit-Devil Doc has also very good ideas...

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Devil Doc

Me?  :D

I would say a guess speaker? Maybe some local leaders? Maybe some people for the local FD, PD, or Disaster Relief? Local War hero?

ME  :P
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

RogueLeader

We meet in the State EOC building, which is the old National Guard build- a stones throw from the AFB.

How do you go about inviting a General?

No Group Structure.  I was thinking the TAG as well.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Camas

Along with your wing CC there's certainly nothing wrong with inviting other top-echelon wing staff members. If you're presenting professional development-related awards perhaps an invitation to your wing director of professional development might be appropriate. If you're presenting Yeager Awards then  the wing DAE should be asked to present these. Other awards that correlate with various wing positions could be presented by appropriate wing staff members. Just some thoughts!

Brad

Mayor, Sheriff, Police Chief, Fire Chief. Maybe a City or County Councilperson. Especially if your liason efforts are leaving something to be desired. This is the perfect opportunity to make the first responder agencies aware of CAP's capabilities.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

LGM30GMCC

With a little coordination you might be able to do a joint operation with another unit nearby. You do want to be careful inviting so many dignitaries that the guests outnumber the squadron.

As for inviting the base commander, or commander 20th AF I would recommend at least coordinating with the Liaison Region Commander (Lt Col Baines) and then speaking with either Base Protocol or the appropriate Exec.

Also remember to find a nice facility to hold the banquet as your own is not particularly well suited to a formal banquet type event. Again, with a little coordination you may be able to use facilities either in the club or on F.E. Warren itself. There may also be relatively cheap facilities downtown.

If you would like some assistance with protocol for this type of event feel free to send me a message and I can look over things and offer recommendations.

lordmonar

Quote from: flyer333555 on January 11, 2013, 05:20:31 PM
Does your Wing use Groups? If so, the Group CC or a rep.

Does your squadron meet at the base? If so, the Base CC (who is probably so busy he may not be able to attend or does not care about CAP) or a rep.

Are you presenting awards? Look in the regulation Award of CAP Medals, there is a suggestion as to who should present it. You could invite one or more of those.

Also any local politician.

Edit-Devil Doc has also very good ideas...

Flyer
We had a squadron dining out a few months ago.....and we got a wing commander, and two vice wing commanders to show up.  Don't be too sure that base leadership does not care about CAP.

Also note....if you are inviting loca pliticians and the awards ceremony is on base....make sure you inform base protocol office.....wing commanders hate to get blindsided by DV visits.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RogueLeader

There is a Golf Club, just off Base that I was planning on using.  Close to Base for any AF Officials that may come, and no hassels for non-military.

Region PDO is welcome to attend as well.  ;)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

MSG Mac

All Air Force bases have an officer assigned as to work with CAP, invite him/her. Also invite a member of the local media. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

The CyBorg is destroyed

Your Representatives and Senators, both National and State, are worth an invite.  I don't know how many Representatives Wyoming has, but at least I know you have two Senators. 8)

Our local Congresswoman is real good about attending, and if she can't make it, she sends a staffer from her office who sometimes helps with presentations.

Both State Reps/Senators have come too...and they're of two different parties so it's good to see them getting along. :clap:

It's also a good way to keep CAP under the lights for these officials, who often have significant influence with purse strings.

We have also invited Air Force, Air National Guard and Air Force Reserve Recruiters.

As far as inviting high-ranking military, I'd check with the base CAP liaison person that MSG Mac indicated.  S/he would know how to go about the protocol for that.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

LGM30GMCC

Quote from: MSG Mac on January 11, 2013, 11:13:40 PM
All Air Force bases have an officer assigned as to work with CAP, invite him/her. Also invite a member of the local media.

Every base is supposed to have a field grade officer assigned--not every base does. It's a little known reg that not every wing commander may be aware of. It is also an additional duty and they can assign a craptastic O-4 that they don't care about and that doesn't care about CAP.  8)

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: LGM30GMCC on January 12, 2013, 12:00:35 AM
Every base is supposed to have a field grade officer assigned--not every base does. It's a little known reg that not every wing commander may be aware of. It is also an additional duty and they can assign a craptastic O-4 that they don't care about and that doesn't care about CAP.  8)

I didn't even know the reg existed until now.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

usafcap1

Well for my Squadron Banquet we invited four sister squadron Commanders, Wing, some Navy and USCG people.
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

MSG Mac

Quote from: LGM30GMCC on January 12, 2013, 12:00:35 AM
Quote from: MSG Mac on January 11, 2013, 11:13:40 PM

usually the Base Liaison Officer is a current or former member of CAP.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

MSG Mac

In addition to all those already mentioned, invite local business that have supported the unit or you would like to support the unit. A free meal and a plaque work wonders in continuing that support.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

NIN

My unit hosted a military ball for 3-4 years. Sold tickets and everything (IIRC, tickets were $10? It was NOT expensive), got a ton of people to come from other units, always invited the wing commander, administrator, etc, and usually a couple state reps we knew to be friendly, asked them to say a few things. Never hurts to reinforce. :)

Best thing was, we got an awards banquet out of it while handily passing the "break even" part :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NEBoom

Years ago when I did one of these as Sq CC we invited every former Squadron Commander we could find.  I had each of them stand and be recognized, it was a nice little "history lesson" on the squadron and a nice way to thank each of them for their contribution to the unit over the years.
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing