Main Menu

Who is the CAP Posterboy?

Started by Major Carrales, January 17, 2007, 06:25:31 AM

Major Carrales

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 17, 2007, 09:58:59 PM
Quote from: CAP Safety Dude on January 17, 2007, 08:49:23 PM
Back in the 50's or early 60's Jerry Lewis was a National Recruiting Spokesman or something to that effect for CAP.  I saw a picture of the back of a magazine on E-Bay about two years ago of him promoting CAP.  I haven't been able to find it since.

My vote is for Jerry Lewis.

Have you seen Jerry Lewis lately?

Yes he  is visible, but we don't get to close because of the intense gravitation fields.  Sorry, Star Fleet regulations~

In any case all joking aside, would any celebrity do that today for CAP?  Was Jerry Lewis a paid "Recruiter-at-Large" or was he a member?  Do we have any celebrity that is in CAP that would step up to the plate?

Jerry Sienfeld?  Jerry Siller?
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Al Sayre

How about Harrison Ford?  He's a Patron Member
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Major Carrales

Quote from: Al Sayre on January 17, 2007, 10:08:35 PM
How about Harrison Ford?  He's a Patron Member

From Wikipedia...
QuoteFord keeps his aircraft at the Santa Monica Airport, though the Bell 407 is often kept and flown in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, and has been used by the actor in two mountain rescues during the actor's assigned duty time assisting the Civil Air Patrol. On one of the rescues Ford recovered a hiker who had become lost and disoriented. She boarded Ford's Bell 407 and promptly vomited into one of the rescuers' caps (she says it was not Ford's cap), unaware of who the pilot was until much later.

Sorry, but according to these sources Harrison Ford is a "fighting" CAP officer and far too valuable a member to be turned into a mere "posterboy."  He is attached to CAPNHQ if my inquiries are correct.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

SarDragon

I actually have one of those pamphlets.

As for Jerry's weight, he was on prescription steroids for a while, but since he's been off them, his weight has come way down. He'll be 81 this year, so cut him a little slack.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Al Sayre

That just makes him all the better for a spokesperson.  I'm not saying to limit him to being a posterboy, but see if he'd do a few print ad's and a commercial or two.  Probably would do more for recruiting than the nascar idea...YMMV
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

Major Carrales

Quote from: SarDragon on January 17, 2007, 10:26:52 PM
I actually have one of those pamphlets.

As for Jerry's weight, he was on prescription steroids for a while, but since he's been off them, his weight has come way down. He'll be 81 this year, so cut him a little slack.

You are correct, I should be more sensative.  I just couldn't resist.  Please accept my retraction.  :'(

Commander
SWR-TX-454

SarDragon

Regarding Harrison Ford - there is a Harrison B. Ford attached to the NHQ Patron SQ, but IMDb says that he has no middle name.

Quote from: IMDbHe was billed as Harrison J. Ford until 1970 for less confusion between he and silent-screen actor Harrison Ford. He actually has no middle name.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Carrales

Quote from: SarDragon on January 17, 2007, 10:31:03 PM
Regarding Harrison Ford - there is a Harrison B. Ford attached to the NHQ Patron SQ, but IMDb says that he has no middle name.

Quote from: IMDbHe was billed as Harrison J. Ford until 1970 for less confusion between he and silent-screen actor Harrison Ford. He actually has no middle name.

Could this be the same guy? Was there only one listed?

Commander
SWR-TX-454

pixelwonk

Whats wrong with you people?  It's no question that Cadet Ken is the ultimate CAP posterboyloon

Major Carrales

Quote from: tedda on January 17, 2007, 10:32:45 PM
Whats wrong with you people?  It's no question that Cadet Ken is the ultimate CAP posterboyloon

Cadet Ken is a rather cheeky fellow.  And he's neither really a poster nor a boy?

In a related manner...

How about a postergirl?  Or does that sound too muck like a pin-up?  Isn't a USAF NCO being expelled from the USAF for being a pin-up?

Commander
SWR-TX-454

SarDragon

Quote from: Major Carrales on January 17, 2007, 10:32:31 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on January 17, 2007, 10:31:03 PM

Could this be the same guy?

Maybe.

Quote from: Major CarralesWas there only one listed?

Only one.

Given his political leanings, it could go either way - member or not a member.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major_Chuck

Back in the 50's or early 60's Jerry Lewis was a National Recruiting Spokesman or something to that effect for CAP.  I saw a picture of the back of a magazine on E-Bay about two years ago of him promoting CAP.  I haven't been able to find it since.

Looks better than he did when he was on steroids.  Still my vote is for Jerry Lewis....and  he should get the Presidential Medal of Freedom for his work with MD.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Major_Chuck

I know!  Ashton Lewis and his Race Car!
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

alexalvarez

Wow! That 1961 CAP pamphlet brought back alot of memories. I use to have a uniform like the one pictured.
Ch, Lt. Col., Alex Alvarez
Alamo Composite Squadron, Bexar County Squadron, San Antonio, Texas
Group V Chaplain
Mitchell 1967, Earhart 1967, C/ Lt. Col. 1969
Fifty Year Member 2014

JohnKachenmeister

How does Harrison Ford get to use his member-owned helicopter on CAP missions?
Another former CAP officer

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: alexalvarez on January 18, 2007, 01:04:37 AM
Wow! That 1961 CAP pamphlet brought back alot of memories. I use to have a uniform like the one pictured.

Back in the day when you had to be 14 to join!  Cadets were a lot tougher then.  No need for Cadet Protection.
Another former CAP officer

Major Carrales

Quote from: CAP Safety Dude on January 18, 2007, 12:26:39 AM

Looks better than he did when he was on steroids.  Still my vote is for Jerry Lewis....and  he should get the Presidential Medal of Freedom for his work with MD.

I agree, Jerry Lewis is one of the world biggest contributors to the Medical community.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

ColonelJack

I wish people would look past the silly talking and pratfalls and realize what a real treasure we have in Jerry Lewis.  If anyone deserved recognition for his life's work, it's Mr. Lewis.

For 24 years, I answered telephones (and, later, ran pledge centers) for the Muscular Dystrophy Association during Labor Day weekend, and while I never had the privilege of meeting Mr. Lewis, I am very familiar with his work.  And, of course, with his real work.  The man's simply funny.

And a great humanitarian.

Your mileage may vary (and no, I am not from France!).

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Major_Chuck

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

Chappie

Quote from: ColonelJack on January 19, 2007, 12:37:41 AM
I wish people would look past the silly talking and pratfalls and realize what a real treasure we have in Jerry Lewis.  If anyone deserved recognition for his life's work, it's Mr. Lewis.

For 24 years, I answered telephones (and, later, ran pledge centers) for the Muscular Dystrophy Association during Labor Day weekend, and while I never had the privilege of meeting Mr. Lewis, I am very familiar with his work.  And, of course, with his real work.  The man's simply funny.

And a great humanitarian.

Your mileage may vary (and no, I am not from France!).

Jack

No argument from me.  Several years ago we had neighbors.  One of their children was a "Jerry's Kid" and received assistance.   In a day and age when people are sceptical as to where the money goes, etc., I have always contributed to MDA because of their work.

(Not from France either -- a native Californian  ;D)
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)