Main Menu

USAC Questions

Started by RADIOMAN015, May 08, 2011, 01:10:35 PM

The CyBorg is destroyed

Colonel Land, in large part you're preaching to the choir, and those who aren't listening to you are quite obvious.

I offer my apologies to you for any disrespect you have received on this board.

I have done a bit of informal research on the Army Cadets and find your aims to be much the same as our Cadet side of the house, as well as the Young Marines and Navy Sea Cadet Corps.

And you have been around since 1909...longer than we have!

Continued success with the Army Cadets, sir.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Mustang

Quote from: COL Land on May 08, 2011, 04:32:48 PMThere is not a unit locator online due to the constant flux of a growing program.  .....   Unfortunately, there are thousands of young people who would like to participate in USAC, but there is not a unit nearby.

This is the primary why there is no USAC unit locator.  The number of local USAC units is embarrassingly small--perhaps a few dozen at most--as is the total membership--somewhere between 700-1000 members nationwide. 

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 08, 2011, 06:18:48 PMHmm, I'm still at a loss why you would not at least publish for the public to see what units you currently have in each state and the contact points ??? .  Even with CAP sometimes personnel drive a fairly long distance until they have some experience and than will start their own unit.  Also performing a quick google news search I can't seem to come up with ANY local units with any news of their activities (except at your HQ location) ??? :angel:

See above.  Most states do not have a USAC unit.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

a2capt

My only exposure with ACA has been a couple semi-locals that despite my only seeing them at CAP related activities, they would tend to wear the USMC digital print uniform or service dress, and it's ACA labeling at CAP events rather than the CAP uniform, despite the cadet of the duo being a CAP member Spaatz recipient, thus obviously being fairly involved in CAP. 

Banquets, air shows, unit visits (including my own), at least in the low double digits. It was nice that an adult member was mentoring the cadet so much, but .. I'm pretty sure they didn't dress for CAP to go to the ACA events. So..

After I first saw that, I looked up just what ACA was and was rather impressed, but still a bit un-thrilled with these particular actions. Their uniform variants did look sharp and definitely would not pass the "low light" test, or in many cases, the bright light test either. I got the impression that ACA represented all branches and would usually affiliate with the locally represented branch. The web site did give preference to Army, but locally it was Marine themed. 

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: COL Land on May 09, 2011, 04:25:54 AM
Our two organizations are very similar in some aspects, yet very different in others.   We both have our challenges.  The U.S. Army Cadet Corps (USAC) is a much, much smaller organization than Civil Air Patrol (CAP), and will likely always be.  Our goal is not driven by size as much as quality and consistency.  We have a lot to learn from CAP.  As we make decisions regarding the future of USAC, we often look at CAP and learn from your experiences. 

USAC is in a development and growth mode.  We are focusing on our relationship with the Army, development of expanded tools to be used in the formation of units, and polishing our policies relative to accession, assignment and promotion of USAC officers and NCOs.  Regular interaction with the Army, as well as with our lawmakers, continues to move us towards the various goals within our strategic plan and our published vision.   

If the Moderator(s) feel that my original posting is inappropriate for this forum, they are welcome to delete it.  However, as stated, this is nothing more than a posting which offers paid employment to Cadetting professionals with a specific skill-set.  If CAP wished to have a comparable posting sent throughout USAC, I'd certainly approve it.  In fact, I'd welcome it, as my officers would certainly benefit from first-hand exposure to a sister organization.   

Respectfully,
Well the best of wishes in your quest to grow your organization.  I'm fairly sure you have good intentions.  As with the CAP Cadet program there can be quite a bit of movement in/out of the program and even the adult leadership burns out in some instances.  I can see why you have to pay personnel because of the length of the encampment.  Hopefully the US Army will be able to provide you more support (endorsements, personnel, facilities) in future.
RM

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: a2capt on May 09, 2011, 05:05:29 PM
Their uniform variants did look sharp and definitely would not pass the "low light" test, or in many cases, the bright light test either.

They don't have that bloody silly criteria to meet, the way we do...nor do the Navy Sea Cadets.  I still wonder who the dim bulb was who came up with something so undefinable to impose on CAP.

I recently ran into an NSCC Ensign and he was wearing BDU's (he said the new Navy camouflage hasn't yet universally trickled down to the NSCC), subdued name/NSCC tapes and metal subdued grade.  I told him about some of the asinine "distinctiveness" restrictions stuck on us and he looked at me like "why?"

Quote from: a2capt on May 09, 2011, 05:05:29 PM
I got the impression that ACA represented all branches and would usually affiliate with the locally represented branch. The web site did give preference to Army, but locally it was Marine themed.

Not sure how long ago your experience was, but ACA used to have Navy and Marine "elements."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

COL Land

The American Cadet Alliance (Naval Cadets, Marine Cadets and Army Cadets) stood down on 10 Apr 09, the 100th Anniversary of the lineage of the program.  Although we pre-date both the Sea Cadets and Young Marines, our program was very regional (NY, NJ and PA) until about ten years ago.   Our Navy and Marine programs were redundant, so we went all-Army with the U.S. Army Cadet Corps (USAC) that same day.   

The individual you are referring to (MarPat uniform) is no longer with the program.   He decided to create his "own" Marine Cadet Corps when we stood down our Marine program.  I don't know what became of it, but there's no indication that he is still in operation.

Sometimes the concept of..."The man (or woman) makes the uniform, the uniform doesn't make the man (or woman)."...gets a bit lost. 

Incidentally, the proper abbreviation for the U.S. Army Cadet Corps is "USAC," rather than "USACC," so as not to be confused with the U.S. Army Cadet Command.   "ACA" is no longer used, as the American Cadet Alliance is no longer an active organization). 

Respectfully,
JOSEPH M. LAND, SR.
COL, AG, USAC       
Acting Commander              www.goarmycadets.com
Headquarters, U.S. Army Cadet Corps

"ADVENTURE BEGINS HERE!"

Sgt. Papa

Col Land, are there any units in Mass/New hampshire?

NIN

Quote from: ECCS4Life on October 27, 2011, 11:59:29 PM
Col Land, are there any units in Mass/New hampshire?

In case Colonel Land doesn't see this right away, no, there are no units in either Mass or NH.

Previously, there was a unit at Cp Fogarty in Rhode Island, which drew substantially from Mass.  That unit folded up, and a unit of another cadet organization came over into the USAC fold (2007-ish).  Unfortunately, that unit was unable to continue running, as well.

There was a unit meeting in Nashua, NH around the same time frame, but it never reached critical mass.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.