Who is going to the National Conference in San Diego??

Started by Smokey, August 27, 2010, 07:24:26 PM

Chappie

Quote from: caphistorian on August 28, 2010, 06:20:00 PM
I will be arriving wednesday morning and leaving sunday morning. I will do a presentation on Sat from 10:30 till 12:00 pm about the historical program with the National Historian and the Congressional Gold Medal project. I will then be doing another one from 1:30 until 3: 00 with other members of the historical foundation. Todd Engelman and Kacey Smith, and I will be presenting on behalf of the foundation and other projects.

I am looking forward to it.

Will be glad to see you again. 
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Smokey on August 27, 2010, 07:24:26 PM
Which of you CAPTALKERS is going to San Diego???

The overall expense from the east coast as well as other expenses just don't justify in my mind going to this.

Most operational & administrative training should be held at the wing or in geographic region(s) that make it cost effective for the member to attend.  Not sure what this really accomplishes other than perhaps getting more people to show up than otherwise would.  :angel:

Personally, I think all of these meetings (including wing yearly conferences) need to get reviewed as to whether they really are needed. 

Unless you driving or flying in your own aircraft, ANY commercial flights are a big hassle today, especially if it isn't a direct flight.  That's why technology such as computer/telephone conferencing is really taking off for both business meetings & training.

RM

PhoenixRisen

I'm here in San Diego.  Thought about it.  Saw the price.  Decided not to.

Still might think about standing outside the hotel with a "Death to the Triangle Thingy" sign, though...

;D

DakRadz

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on August 29, 2010, 07:57:43 PM

Still might think about standing outside the hotel with a "Death to the Triangle Thingy" sign, though...

;D
Maybe I'll get my dad to fly me out there for the Conference- I'll stand next to you!

MSG Mac

Quote from: DakRadz on August 29, 2010, 08:04:09 PM

;D
Maybe I'll get my dad to fly me out there for the Conference- I'll stand next to you!

But they have free munchies on the inside
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

DakRadz

Quote from: MSG Mac on August 30, 2010, 12:06:23 AM
Quote from: DakRadz on August 29, 2010, 08:04:09 PM

;D

But they have free munchies on the inside

I refuse to drink the Kool-Aid, sir! I've seen what it does to a man!

Okay, maybe a little... Mmm, good Kool-Aid. And yet... Nope, still don't like the Triangle Thingy

CAP Producer

I will be there on 8-30 (tues) and leaving Sunday afternoon.

I am leading (with NHQ/PA) two sessions On Friday. One is on PAO Resources and the other is on the PAO How To Guide and the announcement of the 2010 Balsem Award Recipients. The How To Guide session and the Balsems will be webcast. More info on that shortly.

See you there.
AL PABON, Major, CAP

RogueLeader

Quote from: tarheel gumby on August 27, 2010, 08:47:34 PM
I will be there starting on fri afternoon and leave sunday morning

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 27, 2010, 07:53:42 PM
Sorry, will be in college, again.  Hope to make it next year.

Aaron, will you be at the NCWG Conf in Wilmington?

Nope no longer in NC.  Spent my summer in NE, soon ( Teus) moving back to IA to go to school in WI.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

a2capt

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on August 29, 2010, 07:57:43 PMStill might think about standing outside the hotel with a "Death to the Triangle Thingy" sign, though...
;D
Heh.., me too. I couldn't swing the extra $90 before the deadline, I could now, if the lessor price were still in effect, but have not decided if $150 is worth for the possible three sessions that look interesting ..   and two of them are concurrent. :(

I would however love to get the KTT message across ;-) .. at least noticed. Hmmm...

PhoenixRisen

<begin tourist advisory>

Just got back from having dinner in Seaport Village (outdoor shopping area on the water, a few hundered yards from the Mariott).  If anyone likes Greek food, the Greek Islands Cafe is amazing.

*drool*

That is all.

</end tourist advisory>

Chappie

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on August 30, 2010, 04:21:48 AM
<begin tourist advisory>

Just got back from having dinner in Seaport Village (outdoor shopping area on the water, a few hundered yards from the Mariott).  If anyone likes Greek food, the Greek Islands Cafe is amazing.

*drool*

That is all.

</end tourist advisory>
[/quote

Came down a couple of days earlier so we could visit our son and daughter-in-love.  After arriving yesterday afternoon, had dinner last in the Gaslamp District (Old Spaghetti Factory)...this evening dinner at La Pinata in Old Town (a great place to look around).  The guys are going to the Midway tomorrow and the gals are going shopping.  We figured that since we have been to Sea Port Villege before...we will have ample opportunity to go there during the conference.  On another note, our son works at the Marriott Marina (we are staying at another Marriott property until the the conference begins which is closer to their home).  Checking in on Tuesday for the events at NB which for me begins on Wednesday.
Quote from: PhoenixCadet on August 30, 2010, 04:21:48 AM
<begin tourist advisory>

*drool*

That is all.

</end tourist advisory>

Came down a couple of days earlier so we could visit our son and daughter-in-love.  After arriving yesterday afternoon, had dinner last in the Gaslamp District (Old Spaghetti Factory)...this evening dinner at La Pinata in Old Town (a great place to look around).  The guys are going to the Midway tomorrow and the gals are going shopping.  We figured that since we have been to Sea Port Villege before...we will have ample opportunity to go there during the conference.  On another note, our son works at the Marriott Marina (we are staying at another Marriott property until the the conference begins which is closer to their home).  Checking in on Tuesday for the events at NB which for me begins on Wednesday.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: Chappie on August 30, 2010, 05:17:54 AM

I saw your posting on Facebook about that -- I hope you're enjoying yourself!  The Midway is definitely a must if you're in San Diego.  Each time I've gone, there have been more and more areas which have been refurbished and opened up to the public.  Great stuff to see!

a2capt

I can't tell exactly, should I presume that all the activities are at the hotel, or are there any also at the Convention Center?

Since I've never parked at the Convention Center for any other reason than going to it, that said, I'd just figure the parking is not available when there is not an activity within. Is that not the case? ~$10 is certainly cheaper than $24. But the Coaster and hoofing it, or a couple Trolley stops is usually how I get to anything in that area which has tended to be Padres games for our Color Guard presentations, or  the Civic Theater.

The Midway Museum, or museums in the park tend to get driven to, as it's usually with cadets in tow.

JC004

Quote from: a2capt on August 30, 2010, 05:27:28 AM
I can't tell exactly, should I presume that all the activities are at the hotel, or are there any also at the Convention Center?

...except for the CAP Branding Foundation's anti-Triangle Thingy dinner cruise.  Proceeds benefit a style guide.   >:D 

addo1

Another good question for you guys:

Who all is up for joining me on the 5K this year? :D

( ... flashback to Nat Conference 2009 5K as we got lost in downtown Dallas :p )
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

Chappie

Quote from: addo1 on August 30, 2010, 11:56:49 AM

( ... flashback to Nat Conference 2009 5K as we got lost in downtown Dallas :p )

Did the walk last year in San Antonio....will do the walk again on Saturday. 

Ned

Quote from: addo1 on August 30, 2010, 11:56:49 AM

I'll be running.  Be kind and give the geezers like me the right of way.

And the reason you got lost last year in Dallas may well be that the rest of us were running in San Antonio.  8)

(But I agree that it was part 5k, part orienteering challenge.)

Hopefully the route this year will be well marked.

Ned Lee
National Staff Running Guy

addo1

^ AH! My bad sir. I have done a few too many runs in Downtown Dallas. But, that one was indeed in downtown San Antonio - and we did "misplace" ourselves time to time. :) Lots of good memories from it and I am looking forward to this one as well!

I concur to the hopes of it being well marked!

Addison Jaynes
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

a2capt

San Diego is easy .. if you're going down hill, your going back to where you started, if you're going up hill, you're getting further away. If you're lost, just go up hill a little so you can see where you need to be ;)

Thrashed

I'm a pilot with a trip to SAN Tuesday and Wednesday.  I have Wednesday morning free, can I just stop in?  I don't want to pay any money for a couple hours. Not worth it. I'll check the website for info too.

Save the triangle thingy