Main Menu

Who are we?

Started by coolkites, June 19, 2010, 03:27:19 AM

coolkites

Who are we? I was wondering if CAP is a part of the DOD. If not, who do we belong to or fall under. The basis for this question is (for example) applying to purchase special products through specific dealers that will only sell products or (certain products) to law enforcement, Emergency services personnel, active duty, and reserve military personnel. I realize that we are not military but it seems that we would fall under the Emergency services aspect. So who are we and what is our status or privileges in that regards. Thank you

CadetProgramGuy

Quite simply we are a Civilian Auxillary of the US Air Force.

We are not DOD or anyother stretch to claim that we are military.  We maybe Paramilitary meaning that we follow military customs, but we are not, repeat are not military.

JC004

We are a Congressionally-chartered (non-profit) corporation established to preform three missions (I hope that you know what those are).  We are our very own entity, established by Congress, authorized as an (but currently THE) auxiliary of the U.S. Air Force.  Likely, depending on the company, we fall under ES.  We are kind of unique.  Unless they're using a government system of designation, they can call us whatever they want.

With that in mind (as well as what we distinctively are NOT), just try to explain what we are and how we fit into whatever category you think is appropriate to the company's guidelines. 

DBlair

If you are purchasing things for ES operations being done as a CAP member, then I'd venture to say we fall into the "Emergency Services" category you mentioned, just as would other non-CAP SAR/DR teams.

If we try to explain exactly what CAP is (something even many of our own members don't understand), they'll probably glaze over in a confused look, maybe not allowing the purchase due to misunderstanding what we do and thinking that we don't fit into any category, etc.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Major Lord

Actually, we don't have three missions:

Title 36 USC 40302

(1) To provide an organization to -
(A) encourage and aid citizens of the United States in
contributing their efforts, services, and resources in
developing aviation and in maintaining air supremacy; and
(B) encourage and develop by example the voluntary
contribution of private citizens to the public welfare.

(2) To provide aviation education and training especially to
its senior and cadet members.
(3) To encourage and foster civil aviation in local
communities.
(4) To provide an organization of private citizens with
adequate facilities to assist in meeting local and national
emergencies.
(5) To assist the Department of the Air Force in fulfilling its
noncombat programs and missions.

The "three missions" thing is mostly oral tradition.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Daniel

I once used the word militia for cap but evidently that isn't correct, and was corrected rather quickly at my basic encampment
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

tsrup

Quote from: Daniel L on June 19, 2010, 05:56:02 AM
I once used the word militia for cap but evidently that isn't correct, and was corrected rather quickly at my basic encampment

Militia implies armed, of which we are not.

As for the OP, what would you be trying to purchase for CAP purposes that would be controlled for only LE/Military/ES Personnel?

Seems that everything that we would be able to use legally for our purposes would be available without special permissions.
Paramedic
hang-around.

JC004

Quote from: Major Lord on June 19, 2010, 05:27:43 AM

Hmmm...so we have three missions that we consolidated from the law's wording?   ;D  Hey, we simplified something!  WOWZ!

RRLE

Check your state law to see if CAP has official status as an emergency services (using the term broadly) organizatioin.

For example, see paragraph 1 of:  Florida Statute 252.55  Civil Air Patrol, Florida Wing

Quote(1) The Florida Wing of the Civil Air Patrol, an auxiliary of the United States Air Force, shall be recognized as a nonprofit, educational, and emergency-management-related organization and shall be eligible to purchase materials from the various surplus warehouses of the state.

(2)  Funds shall be appropriated annually from the Emergency Management, Preparedness, and Assistance Trust Fund for the purpose of acquisition, installation, conditioning, and maintenance of the Florida Wing of the Civil Air Patrol. However, no part of the annual appropriation shall be expended for the purchase of uniforms or personal effects of members of the organization or for compensation or salary to such members.

(3)  The wing commander of the Florida Wing of the Civil Air Patrol may employ administrative help and purchase educational materials for the training of Florida youth for which funds from the annual appropriation may be used.

(4)  Purchase of aircraft shall be limited to not more than $15,000 per year, and not more than $15,000 per year may be placed in a building reserve fund toward acquisition of a permanent state headquarters and operations facility.

(5)  The wing commander of the Florida Wing of the Civil Air Patrol shall furnish the Bureau of Emergency Management an annual projection of the goals and objectives of the Civil Air Patrol for the following year. These will be reported to the Governor in the annual report of the division on February 1 of each year.

That was fairly easy to find. I just went to the Florida Statute web site and typed Civil Air Patrol in the search box. Try the same for your state.

HGjunkie

Quote from: JC004 on June 19, 2010, 11:25:36 AM
Quote from: Major Lord on June 19, 2010, 05:27:43 AM

Hmmm...so we have three missions that we consolidated from the law's wording?   ;D  Hey, we simplified something!  WOWZ!
ACK! NHQ GOT SOMETHING RIGHT!
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

RiverAux

Very few states have anything in their laws regarding CAP as an ES organization, just as very few probably have specific mentions of other ES groups.  You don't need to be in state law to "count", but every state has an agreement between CAP and their ES agency (whatever it may be) outlining how CAP may be used in their state. 

coolkites

as an example of places where I might try to purchase "restricted goods"

https://secure.usstandardissue.com/

http://www.camelbak.com/government-military.aspx       

there are many other items that are somewhat restricted such as knives and certain rappelling/climbing type items. Camelbak is pretty good about letting civilians purchase items but depending on what you are trying to purchase (~).

I was basically wondering if a CAP photo ID card (or regular ID) was considered a "government" issue ID or if it was good enough to allow purchase of previously stated products.

tsrup

Quote from: coolkites on June 20, 2010, 03:10:50 AM
as an example of places where I might try to purchase "restricted goods"

https://secure.usstandardissue.com/

http://www.camelbak.com/government-military.aspx       

there are many other items that are somewhat restricted such as knives and certain rappelling/climbing type items. Camelbak is pretty good about letting civilians purchase items but depending on what you are trying to purchase (~).

I was basically wondering if a CAP photo ID card (or regular ID) was considered a "government" issue ID or if it was good enough to allow purchase of previously stated products.

AFIK none of the camelback stuff is restricted.

And I guess there's no harm in asking US standard issue if they'll give you a deal on some okleys (the boots are awesome).  These aren't restricted items either, Okley just likes to take care of it's military members/ PD/FD/EMS so gives them a bit of a deal.

But as for the knives and the rappelling gear, save it.  We don't use it in CAP.  Knifes sometimes, but if it's a restricted sale we have no use for it.  Walmart has some Gerber Knives and I've never been dissatisfied by their quality, even if I purchased it from walmart.  Rappelling gear and harnesses have no place in CAP as we do not do technical rescues. 

So are you really trying to get some restricted items, or are you just trying to save some money?
Paramedic
hang-around.

JC004

huh?  You can get a US Standard Issue account as an individual CAP member.

tsrup

Quote from: JC004 on June 20, 2010, 04:19:23 AM

Question or statement?
Paramedic
hang-around.

JC004

Quote from: tsrup on June 20, 2010, 04:35:16 AM

Question or statement?

Statement.  I had one.  They specifically OK'd it for CAP.  Stonewall wrote how to do it on here.  Various CAPTalk members have accounts.

On a side note, I don't know if there are things we can't buy on there, but I know that members have bought lots of stuff.  Several people suggested the gloves to me (not that they're a restricted-type thing).

tsrup

Quote from: JC004 on June 20, 2010, 04:59:51 AM

Question or statement?

Statement.  I had one.  They specifically OK'd it for CAP.  Stonewall wrote how to do it on here.  Various CAPTalk members have accounts.

Outstanding, thanks for the heads up.
Paramedic
hang-around.

Old Timer

Simply put, you are a member of a club.

This club is a private corporation that has a Congressional charter, as does the Motion Picture Academy of Arts and Science, and the National Football League (and the NFL has uniforms too, but they enforce their uniform regs far better than CAP).

CAP has no legal standing as military organization, period.

Before you go down the "we wear a uniform" road, remember that Young Marines wear a uniform, as do the inmates at most state penal institutions -- how's that for a summer encampment, eh?

One last point, since there is no connection with the DoD (note the lack of Geneva Convention information on the back of your club's membership card) CAP is not under the Uniform Code of Military Justice, and since CAP "officers" are not commissioned by the President,  they have no real legal authority whatsoever, other than the same as an official of some fraternal lodge like the Elks or Masons. 

JC004

Quote from: tsrup on June 20, 2010, 05:00:49 AM
Quote from: JC004 on June 20, 2010, 04:59:51 AM

Question or statement?

Outstanding, thanks for the heads up.

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=4226.0

Basically, it's a public service site - not just military.

Quote from: Old Timer on June 20, 2010, 05:10:18 AM
Simply put, you are a member of a club.

This club is a private corporation that has a Congressional charter, as does the Motion Picture Academy of Arts and Science, and the National Football League (and the NFL has uniforms too, but they enforce their uniform regs far better than CAP).

CAP has no legal standing as military organization, period.

Before you go down the "we wear a uniform" road, remember that Young Marines wear a uniform, as do the inmates at most state penal institutions -- how's that for a summer encampment, eh?

One last point, since there is no connection with the DoD (note the lack of Geneva Convention information on the back of your club's membership card) CAP is not under the Uniform Code of Military Justice, and since CAP "officers" are not commissioned by the President,  they have no real legal authority whatsoever, other than the same as an official of some fraternal lodge like the Elks or Masons.

But the NFL is never an auxiliary of anything nor an instrumentality of the United States when certain conditions are met. 

He didn't ask about legal authority or anything - just how we'd be categorized for the purpose of buying stuff, which simply is up to the private companies unless he wanted to buy something that's restricted to military or police sales by law like a weapon.

The CyBorg is destroyed

WE AIN'T:
Militia of any kind
Armed
One of the seven Uniformed Services, though we wear uniforms
Subject to the UCMJ
A political organisation (though we have our share of politics)
A religious organisation (though we have Chaplains)
Entitled to salutes from military personnel...though we have to render them
An "Air Force" version of the Boy/Girl Scouts

WE IS:
A non-profit Congressionally chartered organisation
Auxiliary of the USAF, though that's fuzzied since 2000, and we've been in existence longer than the USAF
Use military-type ranks, though not allowed to wear metal grade, but allowed to wear "U.S." collar dogs
A uniformed organisation that has some of its biggest battles over uniforms
Headed for the first time in our history by a female, General Amy Courter
Almost disbanded in 1995 by the efforts of John McCain
To some, a flying club
To some, a youth organisation
To some, "being in the military"
To some, a flying version of your local EMT unit
Tasked with three traditional missions; however, some focus on one to the detriment of the other two
Granted the privilege of wearing a modified USAF uniform, which some would zealously like to get rid of
Awarded the first two Air Medals in WWII, though we aren't eligible for it now
To many in the USAF, a "feeder" organisation for warm bodies through Lackland AFB
Kind of like the Navy Sea Cadets, though they aren't an auxiliary
Tasked with aerial SAR by AFRCC

In summary...a kind of schizoid bunch with a history of identity problems, with unfortunately a few bad apples here and there, but for all that, a group of flyers and non-flyers who give of themselves for Country, State and Community without monetary recompense.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011