Main Menu

Cost of Encampment

Started by Timbo, January 03, 2009, 01:35:44 AM

Timbo

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on January 05, 2009, 01:23:25 AM
My first encampment?

Airlift from the West Virginia ANG to and from.

Simulator time at USAir's facilities.

Encampment hats.

All meals at the base mess hall, right next door to the VAQ buildings.

Type A encampment, yessir.

How much? $35.

(1985, in case you wondered. Back when the military got lots of money, we had LOs, not state directors, and NHQ was run by the Air Force.)

Pittsburgh Air Reserve Base??  I gather from the USAIR sim's, as they were solely located in the Pittsburgh area in the '80's and '90's.  I went to that Encampment in 1993.  I feel so old!  The AF also provided us with a bus to get to Pittsburgh.  It was better in some ways back then. 

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Timbo on January 05, 2009, 04:46:50 AM
Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on January 05, 2009, 01:23:25 AM
My first encampment?

Airlift from the West Virginia ANG to and from.

Simulator time at USAir's facilities.

Encampment hats.

All meals at the base mess hall, right next door to the VAQ buildings.

Type A encampment, yessir.

How much? $35.

(1985, in case you wondered. Back when the military got lots of money, we had LOs, not state directors, and NHQ was run by the Air Force.)

Pittsburgh Air Reserve Base??  I gather from the USAIR sim's, as they were solely located in the Pittsburgh area in the '80's and '90's.  I went to that Encampment in 1993.  I feel so old!  The AF also provided us with a bus to get to Pittsburgh.  It was better in some ways back then. 

Yip, Pittsburgh's AFRES base, home of the 911 AW. My first two encampments were there ('85 and '86), then my other three were at Dover AFB, Del., NAS Patuxent River, Md., and K.I. Sawyer AFB, Mich. I was a flight sergeant at my first, a squadron commander at my second, the XO at my third, a senior staff member at the fourth and the deputy commander at the fifth.

Oh, I was a cadet in West Virginia, in case you wonder. We had airlift to all five of those encampments as well as the ones that followed -- Fort Knox, Ky., Redstone Arsenal, Ala., Langley AFB, Va., Naval Training Base Orlando, Fla....

Because there are no active bases in West Virginia, its CAP cadets traveled to out-of-state locations for the wing's encampments. Airlift was always provided by the 130th (Charleston) and 167th (Martinsburg) Tactical Airlift Wings, West Virginia ANG.

In this era of cutbacks and drawdowns, encampments up there are now at Camp Dawson, W.Va.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Dirtman

Illinois Wing Summer Encampment runs from $125 to $175 for cadets, including cadet staff, depending upon what facility it was held at and how hard the mess hall contractor hits them.  Seniors have no fees except for their rooms when they stay in a VOQ.   

Ozzy

Well for NYWg 2008, it was $175 per cadet along with possible financial aid and $15 per day for senior members. NYWg 2009 I heard the cost may get increased to about $200 or $215 per cadet. I'm also going to CTWg encampment pending my acceptance as staff and cadet staff is free this year! $215 for two encampments for about 3 weeks together isn't all too bad.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Rotorhead

Quote from: MIKE on January 03, 2009, 02:12:26 AM
I think I paid around $90 WIWAC.  I say make the staff pay if it means you can cut the per person cost for all attendees.  If anybodies encampment should be free it should be the cadet going to his/her first one... Not the staffer whose going to give back 10 fold.
I agree.

If a cadet can't go because he can't afford it while an (employed) adult is given a free ride, that's just wrong.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

Rotorhead

Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott, AZ

Ned

Quote from: Rotorhead on January 16, 2009, 10:31:45 PM
Quote from: Ned on January 03, 2009, 06:15:27 PMor attend Llama Camp.

"Llama camp?"

What, you've never been to Llama Camp?

Well, this summer you could attend the 5-day "Llama Mamas" camp put on by the Girl Scouts of Northern California at their Skylark Ranch for only $425.

Does kind of put the reasonable costs of a CAP encampment in perspective, doesn't it?

IceNine

"Llama camp?"

The first rule of Llama camp is, "Never Talk About Llama Camp"   >:D :D
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

PHall

Quote from: IceNine on January 17, 2009, 01:38:54 AM

"Llama camp?"

The first rule of Llama camp is, "Never Talk About Llama Camp"   >:D :D

No, the First Rule of Llama Camp is "Don't get within spitting range of the Llamas."

ThorntonOL

If I recall right, one of the cadets in Pumba's squadron raises alpacas or llamas or both.
Can't remember exactly but pretty sure the cadet's family still raises them.
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

Rotorhead

Quote from: Ned on January 17, 2009, 12:55:55 AM

"Llama camp?"

What, you've never been to Llama Camp?

Well, this summer you could attend the 5-day "Llama Mamas" camp put on by the Girl Scouts of Northern California at their Skylark Ranch for only $425.

Does kind of put the reasonable costs of a CAP encampment in perspective, doesn't it?
Well, sure , but encampments don't include the llamas, either.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott, AZ

Timbo

Girl Scouts is not as expensive as CAP is.  That is why they sell delicious cookies for 5 bucks a package, and normally sell three or more packages to the average buyer.  The girl scout groups get almost half the profits from cookie sales.  So if one den sells over $5,000 they can expect to see about $2,500.  That more than pays a big sum of their expenses to attend at least one annual event a year.   

MIKE

Mike Johnston