National Cadet Special Activities

Started by Grumpy, October 13, 2008, 09:38:07 PM

jimmydeanno

Quote from: rebowman on October 27, 2008, 04:23:23 PM
QuoteWe have 1194 cadets in the California Wing.

California is also a big state.

I don't know what wing you are in, but among the wings that only have about 100 cadets, RI looked good.  So, if you look at it this way:

Population of California: 36,457,549 (census 2006)
Members in CAP: 3141
Percentage of Population: 0.000086%

Population of Rhode Island: 1,067,610 (census 2006)
Members in CAP: 253
Pecentage of Population: 0.00024%

Population of New Hampshire (Basis for comparison to RI): 1,314,895 (census 2006)
Members in CAP: 567
Percentage of Population: 0.00043%

So California is not a big wing compared to what it could or should be. If we used the same penetration rate as NH above, California should be at over 15K members...but I digress.

But anyway, like above, my squadron had 4 cadets that went to NCSAs last year.  4 of 45, so about 10%.  By that logic, a wing with 100 cadets should get about 10 slots, not 5 or 7...seems a little skewed to me.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Grumpy

I hope I didn't sound like I was bragging because I wasn't.  I just know that our squadron wasn't sending that many cadets to these programs and I'm trying to support them by pushing them at our meetings.

Keep up the good work you do. 

rebowman

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 27, 2008, 05:37:32 PM
Quote from: rebowman on October 27, 2008, 04:23:23 PM
QuoteWe have 1194 cadets in the California Wing.

California is also a big state.
But anyway, like above, my squadron had 4 cadets that went to NCSAs last year.  4 of 45, so about 10%.  By that logic, a wing with 100 cadets should get about 10 slots, not 5 or 7...seems a little skewed to me.

If I remember correctly, all cadets that applied were accepted. I think if we would of had 10 slots if we had 10 who applied.

Although, I wish I understood exactly how NHQ does the slotting.....two of my cadets went to NBB in 07, applied this year & were selected as primaries.

Two additional cadets applied for NBB as first-time attendees.  Initially, they were selected as alternates. (later notified of being changed to primary.)

I feel that it really is not fair that 2 cadets that had already attended were initially chosen over cadets that hadn't.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: rebowman on October 28, 2008, 02:01:44 AM
Although, I wish I understood exactly how NHQ does the slotting.....two of my cadets went to NBB in 07, applied this year & were selected as primaries.

Information on how NHQ slots NCSAs: http://www.cap.gov/index.cfm?nodeID=6996&audienceID=4

Download the memo here: http://www.cap.gov/documents/NCSA_Slotting_Memo.pdf
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

rebowman

I have seen that & read it many times but it fails to go into the 'behind-the-scenes" thinking that goes on.

I know points are given for various things (age, years in, previous # of NCSAs, etc....).  However, that doesn't necessary make everything fair.

What if several cadets have the same number of points?  How do they really determine who gets slotted & who doesn't?

Their memo fails to answer those questions.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: rebowman on October 28, 2008, 06:35:58 PM
I have seen that & read it many times but it fails to go into the 'behind-the-scenes" thinking that goes on.

I know points are given for various things (age, years in, previous # of NCSAs, etc....).  However, that doesn't necessary make everything fair.

What if several cadets have the same number of points?  How do they really determine who gets slotted & who doesn't?

Their memo fails to answer those questions.

Quote from: the memoAge is the tie-breaker when multiple cadets have the same score.

Grumpy

".....  However, that doesn't necessary make everything fair."

You know, as much as we try, life is not fair.  I have been in positions where I had to make that decision and no matter how I decided somebody said, "that's not fair".  What do you say, "OK cancel the entire program"?  Now everybody loses out, is that fair?

sjtrupp

The memo does explain how cadets are slotted.  Now, you might not have all of the information yourself, such as Green lighting, but it is a fairly simple system.  Another consideration would be if the cadets applied for staff.

If you have suggestions for how to improve the scoring system, making it more fair, let's hear them.  But this is SO MUCH better than in years past when no one could determine why or how cadets were slotted.

Oh, and they extended the deadline to apply for NCSAs until Jan 15th last year, and they'll probably do it again this year.  This allows the cadets who have attended a winter encampment to show their credit before applying.

sjt

ol'fido

Question: Before last year when the new program went into effect, was any wing besides IL doing special activities review boards? Just curious.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

notaNCO forever

jimmydeanno

cnitas

Maryland had held a board for a very long time (at least 15 yrs)
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

RickFranz

Quote from: olefido on October 30, 2008, 12:10:13 AM
Question: Before last year when the new program went into effect, was any wing besides IL doing special activities review boards? Just curious.

Kansas does and will again this year.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

LtCol057

NC has a review board for Special Activities if someone applies.  Even senior members have to go thru it.

ol'fido

I thought we were the last of the Mohicans but I guess not. I still like the idea of one because some of the cadets we were getting at the review boards worried me and quite a few of the seniors did to.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

notaNCO forever

Has anyone checked to see if the application for NCSAs is up yet I can't find it and it's after November 1.

I looked earlier today.   It's still last year's dates.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Grumpy

Here you go gentlemen, right from the horses mouth so to speak.

Details for the 2009 activities are expected later this week.  Members will be able to apply from 1 December -15 January, 2009.

Sincerely,
- joe

JOE CURRY
Cadet Programs

notaNCO forever

COS starts the day my encampment ends should be fun for me.